Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm new as of today. I have a 14 wk old male chi named petey. He barks at everything. How do I make him stop! My bigger concern though is he constantly is biting. He bites me and my 2 daughters not out of aggression but it really hurts. A few times however he has bitten and growled when we moved him and he doesn't want to be moved. Any ideas!! I've tried a stern NO, tapping him on the nose but he doesn't stop. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I am ALSO having problems with aggressive playing and biting, Lexi does not respond from a tap on the nose, or being shouted at. I've shouted as loud as I can, she just takes it as me playing back.

I was told they'll outgrow the "mouthing" but I really dunno....
She really loves to play with my hands! :?

Someone help us!!! :wave:

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
I guess maybe after a firm no doesnt help! That you both could try ignoring the puppy and moving away from him/her! Or does that just work with kids? lol
xxx

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Holding them on there back helps for me. It didnt work for weeks and weeks but from doing this ALL the time eventually it works. Now he doesn't bite me so much. Just bites everyone else instead. Theres just a way of doing it so that the cant move when your holding them and they dont like it so they sto. Someone posted a pic of how to do this before but I cant remember the topic, sorry. Also if I saw utttutttt, and get louder and louder he stops doing near cables etc.

*vicky*

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
What worked for my 3 with the barking was a small spray bottle. Everytime they would get wound up with the barking I would walk over spray them and say quiet!, sternly but not too loud. Now, most of the time I can just say quiet and they will hush. If they don't hush, they do when they see me going for the spray bottle. :D

Callie will also growl if you move her when she doesn't want to be. I think they growl because they are trying to be alpha dog. She can be alpha dog with my other 2 but NOT with me. :wink: When she was a very young puppy and would do this I would say no! and turn her over on her back until she was submissive. She still tries this with me every now and then and I'll just say no! and she cuts it out real quick.

The play biting has been more difficult for me. I just hold her mouth shut for a few seconds and say no bite! Then if she continues to bite, I just dont' play with her.

I hope some of that helps! :wave:

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Also, when you he/she bites you if you make quite a loud (not too loud) quite high **owch**!! The pup usually stops as a mother dog also yaps (owches) at her young when they bite her! The pup usuakky realises its hurting her and will stop, if they are biting aggresively the owch can be seen as a warning! xxxx

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
Also forgot to mention you could trying a tap with a letter or newpaper. I really do mean a tap. As soon as they see it coming towards them they will not like that. I have a friend who thinks pressing on there tongue a little helps to
techniques like this and tapping on nose , smacking etc dont work - they just make your dogs respond out of fear of you and you really dont want this - also a tap on the nose to a 12 week chi is like a thump in the face to you or me.

I would try the water bottle technique or you could try putting them in a seperate room for a time out for no more than 3 mins with no toys etc and then let them back in and act normal - they will soon get the idea :wave:

anyway lastly hi and welcome :D

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Whe my nans dog goes ona biting mission, I blow her in her face! She doesnt like it very much! Mind you, you squeeze a shampoo bottle and shes halfway down the corridor! Lol
xxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I use the water bottle too and I find that it works really well. I don't have to even spray them. The see me grad the bottle and they will stop. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts