Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just got my chihuahua Teddy and I've been trying to train him. I actually think I'm doing a pretty good job. He is 3 and a half months and I've had him about a month and he can sit, lie down, dance, and he can sort of stay and we're working on shake. Anyway, even though I've been working with him nonstop, when we're playing or if he wants attention he will nip at my hands until I give in! Actually, not just mine, anyone in the family who is around! I've tried yelping and then ignoring him, he didn't care, and I've tried the bitter apple on my hands but I ended up tasting it more than he did, plus I don't want to discourage him from licking my hands, just nipping!

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
non stop biting

I usually give Yoshi a firm NO! and then replace my hand with a chew toy. This works well, he caught on fast.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good tip! I'll try it!

I have another question for you an acquittance told me never to say "no" unless it is really serious. I didn't really listen to her. Do you agree with her? Or can I use no for whenever he's doing something wrong.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Saying No!

I say NO! with all my dogs and it is fine. NO! means NO! whether it be a major situation or not, it is a good word to have them trained to.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have another question for you an acquittance told me never to say "no" unless it is really serious. I didn't really listen to her. Do you agree with her? Or can I use no for whenever he's doing something wrong.
i've heard that about children, and its something i do with my son (pulling out toys when i said its time to say goodnight and go to bed gets a "not now" where as reaching for the hot stove gets a sharp "no" and me moving him in a safe direction) and i see why it could be good, when he hears "no" not only does he know i really mean business, but i mean it now! but i think with a dog it might confuse them... english isn't really the dogs language, so its probably better to keep it simple. i mean, if you spoil Teddy as much as i spoil my pups, how often do you really say "no" unless its serious anyway, lol. if he's chewing on your favorite shoe or running toward the street, either one is serious. with kids... its a different story, kids are capable of a whole other range of things that aren't bad, just not appropriate at the moment they are doing them, so saying no all the time tends to wear it out for them, lol.

as for the nipping, i really don't know, phoebe was older when i got her, and she never nipped. beefy did it for awhile, but he just grew out of it one day, before that he mostly only did it when he was excited and if he was being too rough i'd say to stop and if he didn't, i'd get up and go away and ignore him till he was calm.

·
Registered
640 Posts
When they are doing something they shouldn't (usually chewing on something or biting me) I say, "Ah, ah AH!" and that really gets their attention. I reserve "No" for my Jack russell mix when she is whining and wants me to give her something (a greenie, more food, feed the OTHER dogs :shock: ) and she knows when I just say the word "No" it means "Stop whining, you are wasting your energy".

I reserve ,"No No" for when my terrier has committed a MAJOR crime, example: running over the Chi puppy and sending her reeling , leaving the yard or barking when she should stop. :confused2: . Thank goodness this is a very rare occurence.

·
Registered
21 Posts
One of the best ways I've found to remedy this problem -- wear the puppy out! When I got Elizabeth Taylor she wanted to bite my hands non-stop at first. I started "wearing her out" I'd throw treats, throw balls up and down the room a zillion times for her to chase -- when they're young, they want to play, and puppies play by chewing and play biting. So play hard, without using your hands. Your pup wants to play and have your attention -- so give it to them, until they are exhausted.

I got another puppy about a month after Elizabeth Taylor -- as soon as we brought the new pup home, Elizabeth Taylor stopped biting our hands IMMEDIATELY. She had a puppy friend to play with and run around with, they bit each other instead :) They never bite our hands!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
lol I think my neighbors think Sturges name is NO! Thats all I say to himis NO he is always being a nudge to Lady and wont leave her alone. I try to get him to stop before she MAKES hims top

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Cooper knows "NO" as a "hey, don't do that" command. For things like running into the street and dangerous situations, he has a "STOP" and "WAIT" command where he literally stops in his tracks, then waits for me to catch up to him.

He also knows if I say "NOSTOPWAIT", he better run fast cuz he's about to get a whippin. LOL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts