Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really really really don't know what to do about her biting, i know right now she's just trying to pull out her milk teeth, but isn't there something else she can bite on besides my fingers/face. I don't want this to develop into a habit and once she gets older have her keep on doing it..

PLEASE HELP. unless it's a normal act and I should just not worky about it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Tux has already started to bite my fingers. His teeth are barely starting to grow in so it doesnt hurt. I bought these rawhide straw looking things and when I hold him when he starts to bite my finger i put the rawhide where my finger is and he bites that instead. But he knows my scent so he tries to go for my finger and I just put the rawhide in his mouth. Hopefully soon he will just stop trying to bite my finger. You should get him something to chew on.

·
Registered
34 Posts
hiya

I too am having the biting problem with bruiser I have a toy I replace the finger biting thing with as well, although he keeps on biting, I am just trying to stay consistent, However my vet told me to get some bitter apple spray from petsmart or somewhere, for a few dollars she said its a priceless learning tool, at least its an idea when you play with your puppy simply spray some on your hands to deter biting.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Gosh its really hard sometimes to control that while they are loosing thei baby teeth. Do you have plenty of chew toys for her to play with? Maybe when she is biting you grab one of those toys and distract her to bite that...puppies have very short attention spans after all.
There is also a product called "Bitter Apple" and it is a bite deturant spray. You can spray that on your hands and rub some on your face...when your pup gets a taste of that she will definately stop!
Also, when she bites you just yell Oww, or NO, or NO BITE (never yell I should say....use a very short, firm sharp voice). and then put your puppy down and offer a toy instead.

Thats all the advice I have for you. Sometimes its just a waiting game.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Here, I tried to find my old post, but couldn't. Here's what worked for us, with Piper.

If you let out a "Yelp!", just like a dog in pain would do, the pup will get the message that you don't like what they are doing. Sometimes the animated "No!", that we scold them with, gets confused for play. They will understand the yelp as meaning, "I don't like what you're doing to me!", because it's sorta in doggie language. If after two yelps they continue to bite, put them down, swiftly walk away and ignore them for awhile.

Try it. A few others on here have had good results with it too.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Yelping worked on Frasier and I'm very grateful for whoever first suggested it. I would yelp really loud then "cry." It took awhile because he had no littermates to learn from and he was already 17 weeks old when I got him.
Your pup is very young - so yelp gently at first, then increase the volume as needed. With Frasier I practically screamed I had to yelp so loud, but few things scare him.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.