Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

As some of you may know i am new here...

I wanted to get some advice as now Chico as found his feet he is becoming more difficult.

He has a really bad temper, which i am trying to keep a low tone voice...he is biting and gripping on when trying to put harness on, quite nastily and actually means it (it does hurt)....any tips?

Also, he was happily walking first week he was out....now refuses to move unless he is on grass....

I guess the walking may come with time, but i do worry about the anger and aggression i am now seeing.
I havent spoilt him etc and he is fantastic at puppy school (very fast learner) and with other dogs but I am worried with this biting and also some snapping towards faces that he may be bad with kids later on

Any tips to nip this in the bud will be hugely appreciated :daisy:

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Ask the instructor at your puppy school. I had a chi from a pet shop that would go nuts when you tried to put anything over her head. Like a sweater. Snarl and try to bite. We solved that by getting a garment that didn't have to be put on over the head. She didn't like to be picked up either. She never tried to really bite me. Had good bite inhabition. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
He's till kind of young, but nonetheless, needs to learn. I didn't put a harness or collar on Angel until he was older, but that was because at 2lbs, I wasn't going to take him out in the snow yet!

But, when I did put a harness on him, I had a very small treat in my hand, put my hand through the neck of the harness and slipped it over his head while he was eating the treat, then I gave him one more so I could finish the job! I don't really like giving them a lot of treats, but once they get the idea they can be weaned off the treats and rewarded with lots of love and pats!

When he stopped walking, I would gently tug him along. But only short walks at first. He will be walking like a pro in no time at all. And above all, he needs to learn bite inhibition. I thought my chi would never learn, but he does really, really well, considering how many bites I got when he was a pup! haha.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both for the advice... :)

He is such a fast learner i suppose i do forget he is still little....
He was running and loving walking last week but gone right off it this week....

He responds very well to no when he is mouthin...just not when he loses his temper, i will try the treat trick though...

I have been trying to search for a harness like that, currently have to use a cat one though due to his tiny size....
Any suggestions for places i can buy a proper one for a Chi?

·
Registered
123 Posts
My first thought, too, was a training issue. But if he started out ok and this is new, there may be something else going on. Is he in pain, scared, does his harness pinch or chaff somewhere? Are his knees, shoulders and paws ok? How long are his toenails? Long or even broken toenails can be anywhere from uncomfortable to downright painful. How old is he, could this be a fear period issue - some dogs get really hard to handle during those.

I'd be tempted go go over every inch of him and carefully inspect his skin, gently apply pressure to see if he flinches or reacts, any thing that doesn't seem right needs to be checked by a vet. Then, yes, I would talk to your trainer about a possible training/behavior issue.

Best wishes!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My first thought, too, was a training issue. But if he started out ok and this is new, there may be something else going on. Is he in pain, scared, does his harness pinch or chaff somewhere? Are his knees, shoulders and paws ok? How long are his toenails? Long or even broken toenails can be anywhere from uncomfortable to downright painful. How old is he, could this be a fear period issue - some dogs get really hard to handle during those.

I'd be tempted go go over every inch of him and carefully inspect his skin, gently apply pressure to see if he flinches or reacts, any thing that doesn't seem right needs to be checked by a vet. Then, yes, I would talk to your trainer about a possible training/behavior issue.

Best wishes!
Excellent, thank you for that.. I wouls say his claws are too long...I have been trying to walk him to take them down a little bit...i will gently take the ends off and try that

:)

·
Registered
123 Posts
If he's uncomfortable with dog nail trimmers and he's small enough, you can try human nail trimmers and then gently file them. That's how I start all my pups gradually moving up to the dremel tool. :)

·
Registered
248 Posts

Best wishes!
at what age is the fear period?

·
Registered
123 Posts
There are two significant tfear periods in a pup's life, one usually between 8-11 weeks and another that occurs between 6 and 14 months of age. The only reason I brought up the fear period is I just went through one with a puppy I'm fostering here and his behavior became so bizarre, he acted as if we were going to eat him and screamed in his crate and barked at the rain - oh, it was baaaaad! lol 3 whole weeks of it, then one day, he was just himself again.

See if this link provides any answers. Just because it references Border Collies means nothing, all breeds go through these stages in one form or another.

stages

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
When I first got Lady she wasn't real keen on walking. She would often refuse to move or just stop. I found a gentle tug would get her going, I also found if I carried her a few hundred yards and put her down she would often walk. Not sure what happened but she walks like a champ now. No issues at all. I guess my advice is, don't give in to your pup! Be consistent and make walking part of the day.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He is coming up 14 weeks....
But good news all, must have been a stubborn phase....i refused to pick him up and let him sniff for ages then he walked to fast i couldnt keep up...
Seems to only be the night time he hates, but uess dark is daunting to a little pup..

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I first got Lady she wasn't real keen on walking. She would often refuse to move or just stop. I found a gentle tug would get her going, I also found if I carried her a few hundred yards and put her down she would often walk. Not sure what happened but she walks like a champ now. No issues at all. I guess my advice is, don't give in to your pup! Be consistent and make walking part of the day.
Thats great to hear as that is exactly what i have been going through on and off so great to hear he will grown out of it :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts