Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Mylo mouths gently when he's had his food, exercise, chew time and then calm down time which is fine. The problem is at any othe point, mostly when he's excited or playing he bites and it's gotten pretty hard. Sometimes he bites and pulls back. I say ow and some time he pays attention and others he doesn't. Sometimes when playing he nips anywhere he can reach, my hand, fingers, toes, arms and if he's sat on me and hasn't had all of the above then sometimes he will try to bite my face. It's always in a playful way and never aggressive but I'm getting quite fed up of it now as it seems to be increasing. I've tried the get up and stop playing thing and the 'look for rain' (fold arms and avoid eye contact) technique I read about but neither seem to work much. He either isn't bothered or whines but when I go back to play he still does the same thing.

My other half read that it can be about testosterone, which bring me to my soother question. He is already, well, er...humping stuff and I wondered if that was normal so young? He's around 10 weeks. I've never had a boy before but I assumed it wouldnt happen just yet.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
I don't think the mouthing is hormone related, both sexes do it.
You are doing the right thing in correcting him, just continue and be consistent. Shriek loudly, and remove the body part. Once he has been corrected don't let him be in a position to bite you again, so put him down if he is on you. Remember he can only be on your lap by invitation, it is a privilege. Puppies that bite lose this privilege! If he is in a determined-to-bite mood redirect his energies onto a toy. Bambi was terrible for mouthing, it took weeks to train her out of it, but it did work. She is a very gentle dog as an adult, even when playing.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I think I need to make sure that anyone he's around is being consistent. I often redirect him onto a chew toy, most of the time it works but if it doesn't I out him down or I get off the floor and go on to the couch. He's only ever allowed on the couch when invited. I just wish I could play with him without having to worry about biting. I say 'ow' which works unless he's over excited. I started using yelping but found that usually made him do it more.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Actually, looking back, the thing that helped most with Bambi's mouthing was probably getting Harley.
Sounds like you are doing everything right, just be patient, it is normal puppy behaviour. When my pet skunk was a baby we used glove puppets to play with her, the principal is the same, no biting of human flesh, so maybe that would be something to try with Mylo.

·
Registered
277 Posts
My sister had a black lab puppy that would nip/bite when playing. What we did was, when he bit/nipped us, we clapped our hands very loudly once, then would stand up and leave for a couple seconds, then return. If he bit/nipped, then we would repeat the process.

I think the idea was to teach him that if he bit or nipped, it meant play time was over. It worked for him.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I have 2 words for you - PUPPY SCHOOL (or get a 2nd dog, that's what I did, fixed it overnight - no joke). He needs to learn what is an appropreate level of mouthing and dogs learn this best from other dogs. Plus puppy school is just all around good for their socialization and development. I tried the yelping when Axle mouthed me (he was a terrible mouther) and it really made no difference. Chloe and Winston have never mouthed on me much at all because they have always had other dogs around to teach them.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Yelling ouch did help with Angel. But I think redirecting and stop playing was the biggest help.

In short, patience. Time helps the most. When I first got him I thought I must be crazy to start over with a puppy! But it's worth it!

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Toby was only a tiny bit mouthy at 16 weeks when I brought him home, since he was starting to teeth. That was after being with mom, litter mates, and other puppies for all that time. When he got overexcited when we were playing, he would try to nip my fingers, arms, or ears (? LOL). Saying a stern "NO" and immediately stopping the play worked for us. He realized that if he bit or nipped he would not get to play with Mommy and he stopped himself in about a week. Now, he is teaching Rocky the rules.

At 10 weeks old, he is going to be mouthy. Keep working diligently and give him lots of other stuff to chew on. And expect it to get worse before it gets better because he will start teething.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I dont think it is a "guy" thing becuase my girl still does this. She has become less stubborn I can say, but she still does it. I am more stubborn and more consistant, so eventually I think she will get it.

I notice if we are holding a toy, she will concentrate on that. She wont bother with body parts. She never bites out of spite (only the vet) always in play.. For instance playing with her with bare hands is usually out of the question. Sometimes yelping makes it worse... throwing a ball, or tug of war, or hiding things under a pillow for instance, anything to get her mind off of my tender hands...

Also I caught her "humping" a stuffed animal the other day. Mind you mine is a SHE...I was a bit taken aback..it looked..well..unnatural. I read it is a dominance thing, not a sexual thing..

Have you tried holding him down (not roughly) and hovering over him for a while while staring at him so he knows you are the boss? I read about that on this forum, by the way.

Hang in there.. it takes alot of patience..I am still working on this too. It doesn't happen overnight.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions. I was wondering whether I should stop play whenever he bites or just when it is too hard?
I do it every single time she bites. She doesnt know the difference between hard and soft..if she did, she would stop biting all together because that is what we are working at. Be very consistent....every bite.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the helpful responses and advice. I'll start implementing them and see what happens. I think it's mostly about consistency, especially with all the people he's around. Thanks again =)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts