Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if it is normal for my 10 week old chi to bite as much as she does. She doesn't really do it meanly, but she constantly bites at our fingers, noses, hair etc. The only time she will sit still and let us really pet her is when she gets sleepy. Is this because she is so young still, or something I should work hard to curb now? According to the puppy aptitude test she is around a 2, but some of the categories she scored a 1.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
You should not let her do it.
If may be cute now, but when she gets a little bigger it won't be so cute.
She should learn that biting humans is NOT ok under any circumstances.
At this point, grab a toy and let her bite on the toy. If she insists on biting your fingers etc. stop playing with her and ignore her for a few minutes, turn your back on her if necessary. She needs to learn that if she bites you or your family members she looses her human companionship.
When she gets older you can put her in her crate for a few minutes, if you are crate training or block her in the kitchen. Sort of a time out.
I didn't have to do the time out thing, just ignoring was enough for my chi.
Make sure all your family members do this. Other wise you will just confuse her.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think that may be part of the issue. Whenever she does it to me I say "No Bite" in a firm tone and give her a chew toy, but my boyfriend lets her do it and antagonizes her....Men huh :lol:

If I ignore her she will just jump on me..so I guess I could maybe leave the room or something. About putting her in the crate, I thought you weren't supposed to use it as punishment? She still won't go in there on her own, we have to put her in there for naps and bedtime, but she's gotten a lot better about calming down and going to sleep or atleast chewing on her bone and not whining.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
in the books i've read it says to act hurt whenever she bites. like pull your finger away and yelp like a littermate would do and ignore her. even while she is jumping on you don't even look at her keep your head up or turned away from hers. i never tried it that is just what i found to be a consistent theme in training guides.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts