Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I'm new on here and I'm the proud owner of a little female longhaired called Lola! (Will post some pics soon!)
She is an absolute gem and adorable. I've had her for 3 wks now and she's 10wks old. I just wanted to ask what I can do about her biting. I know all puppies chew things but she bites fingers and its hurts! I don't want her to continue doing this into adulthood. She has lots of toys to chew and play with, her diet is perfect, I've been saying No everytime and then ignoring it. But now her teeth are very sharp! She seems to do it more when she gets excitable while she's playing but she's started grabbing a finger, clamping down on it and pulling!! No escape. I have serious puncture marks on me!! :shock: Its funny coz she doesn't bite furniture or anything else she's not supposed to except humans! Is this normal and will she grow out of it?? Is there anything else I can do to stop this pattern now??
Thanks so much..... all your babies are so beautiful. I'm sure this site is going to be very helpful for me!
Lucie & Lola xx

·
Registered
481 Posts
i have the same problem,i do tell coco no when he bites me cus your right it does hurt,but i do feel mean tellling him off cus he thinks its a game and doesnt know that hes hurting me!
any advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
110 Posts
My Lola is eleven weeks old and did the same thing. I bought some bitter apple spray and sprayed some on my hands and she doesn't bite nearly as much anymore. Maybe you could try this out and see if it works with your Lola? *s* Good luck!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
biting

Thanks for your responses guys. I'll have a look for the bitter apple stuff....but basically I have to coat my hands in it all the time then??! And the bottoms of my trouser legs!! :lol:

Lets just hope she'll get the message soon that my fingers have feelings!! :lol:

Lucie & Lola xx

·
Registered
321 Posts
biting

:wave: hello its a common problem i guess with chi's my porsha bites if you hold her its like she doesn't know what else to do :!: It can be very annoying :evil: I got advice to put her on her back and hold her and it worked a little but not any more i am so worried she will be aggressive I had a pit bull for seven years and never had a problem with him bitting i have heard that small breeds are more aggressive :?: My sis has 6 chi's 2 are aggressive and the others aren't I have been tapping porsha on the nose when she bites however this doesn't even seem to faze her I'm clueless as for what to do I HOPE!!!!! its a phase and will go away soon good luck to you and if you find a solution let us know cause for us with pups its a share problem :cry:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hello!

I had the same problem with Jack. I was told by a dog trainer that I should shout "Ouch" and pull my hand away as if he had hurt me. Then I should ignore him for 1-2mins as if I was hurt/offended. Apparently that teaches them that they are hurting with you and then they stop doing it!

When he is being playful I give him one of his chew toys and praise him for chewing that.
It has worked and he hardly bites me anymore - he just licks me. His toys however get chewed loads....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts