Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello world!!!! I just got my baby chi her name is porsha and she is 6 weeks old and she loves to bite around the face and ears when loving on her, any suggestions on how to stop this behavior and are chi's agressive by nature :wave: porsha and my family are new members and we all luuv this web site especially the pic's :D :lol: :wave:

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
A lot of chi puppies tend to bite and chew on their owners till they learn better. Just keep moving her away and telling her no and one day the lightbulb will come on for her. Sometimes you have to resort to saying no and putting them down on the floor for a while. They have to learn to associate what they are doing with what you are telling them.

Some chi's are aggresive but that can usually be a matter of training and making sure they know that you are alpha in the pack.

·
Registered
277 Posts
porsha is biting because she was taken to early from him mother and siblings and hasn't properly learned bite inhibition which is taught by the mother dog. Pups should be at least a minimum of 8 weeks to 12 weeks before going home with new parents. You will need to teach her this behaviour is not acceptable. If she's biting at your face, gently roll her on to her back and hold her there, tell her "no" in a firm voice and when she stops struggling to get free, give her an acceptable toy to chew on and praise her for taking it. You must redirect the behaviour towards items of her own which she can chew on. Chi's are not aggressive by nature, its all in how they are handled and treated.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I got Gadget when he was very young and he chewed on us... We actually did the bad thing and let him for a few weeks because he was so tiny.... We were trying to get him to paly with toys but all the toys that we bought for him were too big... By the time he was 6 weeks we knew that it was time for him to learn not to chew on us... I started telling him no and giving him a toy but that didn't work so i started putting him on his back and telly him "Chew bad" I would hold him there until he stopped fighting me and stopped chewing on me.. He would stop chewing and start licking my hand and then I would tell him "Good Gadget" and let him up... This took me a few weeks to get him to totally stop... He will chew on me every so often but all I have to do is tell him "Chew bad" and he will stop...

I have found that if you are consistant about it and flip him over everytime he chews on you it will work faster....

Gadget has alot of toys and his favorite ones are his fleece blankets and his earnie doll and his rope bones....

Rope bones are great for small puppy mouths....

Good luck and God bless

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
porsha is biting because she was taken to early from him mother and siblings and hasn't properly learned bite inhibition which is taught by the mother dog. Pups should be at least a minimum of 8 weeks to 12 weeks before going home with new parents. You will need to teach her this behaviour is not acceptable. If she's biting at your face, gently roll her on to her back and hold her there, tell her "no" in a firm voice and when she stops struggling to get free, give her an acceptable toy to chew on and praise her for taking it. You must redirect the behaviour towards items of her own which she can chew on. Chi's are not aggressive by nature, its all in how they are handled and treated.
Once again i whole heartedly agree this baby should dtill be with its momma and littermates :wave:

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
It is normal for a puppy that young to want to bite and chew. She doesn't know the difference between your hand, face, etc. and a toy, and what is acceptable to bite and what isn't. At least another 2-3 weeks with the mother would have helped a great deal. The training is up to you now. Gadget's mom gave you some great advice. Just be consistent and be patient. We are here to help in any way we can.

I do not believe that chis are naturally agressive-they are an extremely loving and loveable breed. Training and socializing makes all the difference. I get a little upset at the notion some people have that chis are yappers and biters - just not true!

Good luck, and don't hesitate to ask questions.Welcome to the forum. :wave:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP ON BITTING BABY!!! :I DIDN'T REALIZE 6 WEEKS WAS TO EARLY :shock: i GREATLY APPRECIATE THE WONDERFUL ADVISE GIVEN TO ME I WILL PUT IT ALL TO GOOD USE! :wave:

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
ozzysmom said:
Once again i whole heartedly agree this baby should dtill be with its momma and littermates :wave:

it's a little too late now though...... i said this before, if a breeder is set on letting them go at a certain age, the puppy will go. first off, the breeder obviously don't know it is best for the puppy so if the buyer were to ask to keep it longer they may say no either you buy and take it when it's ready or i find someone else who will......

what's done is done. and like gadgets case some dogs HAVE to leave the nest sooner rather than later. and with great mom's like dori they turn out to be great dog's.......

anyway, i heard if you let out a yelp when they bite you then not touch or look at them for awhile it mimicks what their littermates would do.... i've done it to chiwi and she barked at me lol.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts