Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, Gracie has been hiking her leg forever to pee...It's kinda cute, and she's always been very 'dainty' about it - she bends her little tiny paw like she's taking a sip of tea...

This morning (at 6 a.m. with a cup of coffee in one hand, my hair sticking everywhere, and my eyes half closed) I took her and Pedro outside for their morning potty. Pedro walks to his favourite tree, hikes his leg, pees and then walks a couple of steps and "scratches off". (That's what I call it - he does it after every potty, while I'm praising him for pottying, and he's quite smug about it - looks very proud of himself.)

Gracie walks right up behind him, ducks for a second to keep grass and dirt from hitting her in the head because he isn't finished 'scratching off', and then proceeds to hike her leg and pee on the tree in the same spot Pedro did. (She's never hiked on a tree before, usually just a blade of grass.) She then takes a couple of steps, and awkwardly 'scratches off' for a good 3 minutes while I spew coffee out my nose from laughing.

All the while, Pedro is looking at her like she's lost her mind.

We got her at 5 months, and she wasn't housebroken, and I've always said Pedro helped with housetraining her, because we had it done in 2 weeks...So, I guess this is what you get when you have too much testosterone influence in your life. Or is my Chi transgender???:confused:

Does anyone else's Chi do this?

Gracie is also...er...hmm...a little sexually aggressive at times...She hunches on poor Pedro now and then...

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
This is typical dominance behavior. The more dominant she is, the more she will exhibit those 'boy dog' behaviors. She is vying for top dog position over pedro. Mounting him is also a show of dominance.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
LOL I am just about crying from laughing here.She says she thought she was a boy she was raised my one(pedro)LOL.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
My boy does the same "scratching" thing, if it is what I think you mean. When he goes on his potty pad inside, I will ask "What did you do?" and he starts wildly kicking his back legs and sneezing. Too funny!

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Twiggy 'hikes' and scratches, too. It's very awkward for her being three legged, so she usually lifts both back legs off the ground to pee on a tree or the fence, then scratches the ground.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Yep!! She is showing her dominance. Addy does that. She will go behind each one of the dogs and pee over their spots....and she looks like a boy when she does it. I just cant figure out how she can have so much pee in her to do it :confused:

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Baby lifts one back leg while squating to prevent her paw from getting wet she always Pees first then ninja pees on top of it even tho baby is the leader of the dog pack while my big mastiff max squats to pee like a girl lol and he's 10!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, maybe we're not as dysfunctional as I thought!

And Gracie is DEFINITELY in charge here...Everything 'belongs' to her. Pedro lets her eat first - he's such a gentleman. I can buy them both the same toy, and they will be playing/chewing on it, and Gracie will trick Pedro into leaving his unattended, then steal it the second his back is turned.

She's 5 lbs of devil dog, with the sweetest personality you can imagine.

The scratching off is hysterically funny, though...She's not very good at it yet. I'll have to try to get a video...She's looking back at me over her shoulder waiting for the same praise I give Pedro, and I can't stop laughing to say anything!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Ours are weird too.

I think we have a 50/50 alpha in our house. Godric is alpha about living space and toys, Gretel is alpha about food and outdoors.

She also hikes a bit, he doesn't of course. Gretel also marks like crazy outside, little dribble here and there the whole walk.

·
Registered
477 Posts
hahahaha .... aren't these "macho" girls funny! My beautiful, dainty little Lavender always pees where my male Bichon did and then does the "macho kick" just like he does. She also bounces her front feet like someone stomping their feet. She is alpha and Cosmo doesn't argue about it. He lived with an alpha Bichon all his life. He just goes on his merry way and ignores her.

Jeanette

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
With Pedro's temperament (he's my bad boy rescue) I can't believe he's the way he is with Gracie. She gets away with EVERYTHING! She can literally steal food right out of his mouth. He is a perfect gentleman about it. Sometimes I see him looking at her like he's thinking "I sure hope you grow out of this, you little drama queen".

I don't think he realizes she's a Chi, and the drama queen is here to stay!

·
Registered
78 Posts
lol arwen has done that before, she's tried to hike her leg so high in the air that she lost her balance and toppled over. Then she got up real quick, and looked around, like she was wondering if anyone saw... she barked at me for laughing at her

1 - 13 of 13 Posts