Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay so my friend just sent me an email from her dog's breeder who is trying to place a blue chow chow puppy who was born without eyes. Something to do with the blue gene. She would love to take her but she already ha 4 dogs (2 chows & 2 rotts) Anyways it's tugging at my little heart strings as the pup is dang cute and I know how sweet Xuan (my friends chow) is, not a mean bone in her body. I do love chow chows, my sister has had them for years and I just love them.

Does anyone have any experience with a completely blind from birth dog? Would it be difficult once she got used to everything? I know last thing I need is another special needs critter, but my heart just can't so no sometimes....still have to run it by my hubby though...ha ha....Pup is only 5 weeks old though so still some time to chew it over lol.....

Here's the little tyke at 4 weeks:

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
nope I have not had anything to do with a blind dog not even through rescues ETC, but I'm sure that just like a human it would learn to cope and would get used to its surrounding in no time.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Awwww bless that wee soul, what a wee cutie!
I love chow chows too.
I dont have any experience, but i would think it would be ok and if you have the time etc...then i say go for it.
Of course it will be work, but worth it am sure for the love you will get in return.
Good luck whatever happens. x

·
Registered
602 Posts
In my puppy training there was a completely deaf pomeranian. My heart sunk when then told everyone! And the breeder didnt tell them either. I thought the dog would reallllllly stuggle and never learn a thing, but. It had tricks down better than my dog, Purely off hand signals! So i think It definately would be quite possible to train.

you would just have to be careful when the other dogs played with it?

This is so heart wrenching tho

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
That's really strange. He literally doesn't even have eye sockets :-/ How sad. I know I couldn't do it but if you think you can handle it then go for it.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
When I worked with the animal shelter one of the workers had a blind Maltese she adopted from there he had no eyes so it was assumed he was born without them. His name was Stevie wonder and he was the sweetest dog ever I used to take him to hospitals and nursing homes as a therapy dog he would follow me by sound and he was fully housebroken and stuff I don't remember if he did tricks or not it was quite awhile ago but I would go for it he's so cute!

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
My heart is melting just looking at her - I have no idea of the challenges that you may have with her - but if you have the time and patience to help her I am sure you will be repaid a million times over, I'd imagine the bond would be very special :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Awww Heather, thank you for considering that sweet blind puppy. If you want to learn more about blind dogs, there's a really GOOD and active yahoo mailing list about blind dogs and you could join, read the archives, etc. There's lots of tricks and things you can do to help them navigate by scent and other tips. I was on it for a long time when Brody had his eye problems and they are super nice people and helpful.

They could let you know what to expect, help with training, etc.

blinddogs : Owners of Blind dogs

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL he would KILL me! He's NOT a huge dog fan, and especially not fond of big dogs so it's going to be tricky. I can't just show up with puppy and say it followed me home as I have to pay to have it shipped (puppy is free of charge to special home), just have to pay for shipping.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
No Heather I don't have any experience with a dog blind from birth, but I have had elderly dogs that go blind and they aren't as easily adapted. It seems like it'd be easier for a puppy to learn.

That being said, I know a family about a year and a half ago that had a baby and he was born without eyes, something about the stem the eye grows from didn't develop? I'm not sure but the baby seems to be doing well and at least "adjusting" as best it can from a baby standpoint.

Off topic a little, but I've always heard when you're deprived one sense the others become stronger. I think a puppy could manage.

·
Registered
923 Posts
We have a kitten that had a pretty major eye infection (the vet says likely caught it from it's mom) so we're not sure she's ever been able to see properly.

She only has one eye left, and it's completely clouded and 99% useless. Sure, not quite the same, but I figured atleast it's similar?

She does really well! She does run into things while she's zooming around the house, but she plays with the other cats and dogs and can manouver quite well. We try not to move big things into the "open" spaces of the house much (ex. we sometimes have to move the dog grate to include the whole kitchen.. when we do this she often runs face first into it once and then it's okay).

Goodluck convincing the hubby!! Just tell him that blind dogs need love too, and who better to take him on then two great, caring people who understand a special dogs needs? ;)

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I have no experience at all with a blind dog nor do I know anyone who has had one. She is adorable and it is so sad to see her with no sight.

As for you, you are a very special person, not only are you gonna give this dog a furture, some would have PTS but you are also prepared for the years ahead. I dare say its not gonna be easy and you will have scary moments.. but lots of great one too.

Deme x

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
It will be easier for the eyeless chow cutie to cope and adjust
more then a dog that lost his sight.He hasnt lost anything
so to speak so he should be ok.He will learn to follow your voice.
I saw a great special on TV about a wonderful beautiful horse that went blind.
He learned to gallop and run even though he was blind and in a coral.
He rode just like any horse and you couldnt tell if he was blind by looking.
He just had to learn to trust his owner.Your little chow sweetie will do that too.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I fostered a blind mixed breed for a few weeks - He coped very well. He was bitten by the mother dog and had to have both eyes removed at just a few days old.

When he was up and walking he was put on a leash and shown round the place, and he knew within a few hours where things were and how to avoid them - and whenever something was moved about then they simply put him on the leash and showed him where it was again - And he usually remembered.

One thing though - If hes been born with no eyes there may be other underlying problems! A neigbour of mine had a Rottie pup born with only one eye, and he ended up having to be PTS at about 6 months old because his heart wasnt properly formed.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I've worked with and trained blind dogs before, and for the most part, they cope beautifully. There's a great book called 'Living with Blind Dogs' that is all about how to train a blind dog and, more importantly, things you can do to help them master the layout of your home. Once they know their way around, unless you change things, it can be easy to forget they can't see!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts