Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little Penny is 11wks old and about 17-18oz, I feed her 3x a day (1/8th cup Innova)... Everytime she finishes eating her belly is so bloated she feels like she may pop when picking her up, li'l baby looks like she swallowed an apple! Is this just because she is so small? normal??

Thanks,
jess

·
Registered
778 Posts
What are the feeding recommendations for Innova? It's probably just me but at that size it sure seems like a lot,especially being a premium food...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It says for 1.5lbs weight @ 6-11 wks a 1/2c a day... maybe smaller portions throughout the day? I usually moisten her food also.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I feed Innova. Generally I have found that about 1/2 of what they recommend is just perfect for my 3 lb chi girl! She gets 1/8 cup 2x/day.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Adding water to moisten her food may be what's causing her to be so bloated after eating. If she is able to crunch the food (which she should be able to at this point) I'd stop adding the water. We fed EVO for a year & their recommended serving size for pups is crazy! My pups didn't eat any more than 1/4c a day when they were small & they did good to eat that much! (Mari who was a smaller pup didn't even eat that much until she was a bit older.

Anyway, I'd stop adding the water & see how she does. If she still bloats...I'd do what you said & feed smaller meals more often. Matilda used to bloat sometimes after eating when she was little but I always blamed all the water she was drinking. It didn't take much...but we have to remember how tiby their tummies are! :)

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Maybe a case of feeding too much or maybe she is gobbling it down too fast? My girl Luna always had a bloated tummy after eatting cuz she would gobble up her food so fast. I would pick her up after she ate and she would always burp lol (I know it sounds silly) Maybe you should try to "burp" her after eatting and see if that helps?
I don't want to be alarming but in some cases I think it can be dangerous. There is another post about it but I can't recall the name right now. Try a search for Bloat

**** ok I looked up the post, its called "I think theres something wrong with Lilly"****

Just give it a read and see. I don't want to alarm you because it was ok in my case but in another it wasn't so I thought I'd pass on the info. Keep us posted

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Daisy had this... turns out she has problems trying to digest all the wheat etc or whatever it is in food and bloated out... try giving her less!! Daisy is now on a raw diet and no more bloating!!!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Daisy had this... turns out she has problems trying to digest all the wheat etc or whatever it is in food and bloated out... try giving her less!! Daisy is now on a raw diet and no more bloating!!!
Turkey, Chicken, Chicken Meal, Ground Barley, Ground Brown, Rice, Cottage Cheese, Tomatoes, Hemp Oil, Chicken Fat, Flaxseed, Whole Steamed Potatoes, Herring, Whole Raw Apples, Whole Raw Carrots, Alfalfa sprouts, Whole Eggs, Garlic, Dicalcium Phosphate, dl-Alpha Tocopherol, Vitamin C (Sodium Ascorbate), Probiotics & Vitamins/Minerals

No wheat in Innova. Just yummies! I think the water and the amount might be causing the bloat, more likely.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts