Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Diarrhea started late Saturday night. Yesterday, we gave limited food and pumpkin to try an clear it up. No dice.

This morning, her first poopy, there's reddish mucus in her stool. Roxy is full vaxed (20 weeks old).

We are going to the vet as soon as they open (8 am).

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Ugh. That's not good.

Please keep us updated. Yeah, it could be worms, but I'm REALLY glad you're getting her to the vet asap. Blood in the stool is serious enough to not be guessing about.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Aww poor girl. It could be worms. I hope she is feeling better soon. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, no real answer at the vet. I took in the bloody rag. The vet palpitated her tummy and said he could feel something hard but couldn't tell if it was a stool or a foreign body. I've got to get a poop sample tomorrow and bring it back. He did give her 5 days worth of a drug that's like Pepto Bismol for doggies.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I hope she feels better soon. Keep us posted. I went through something similar with my Pip earlier this year. After countless tests, they never really did sort why he got the bloody mucousy stool. They went through everything from allergies, colitis, obstruction. The only thing they ruled out for sure was obstruction and Addison's - which was highly unlikely, but they put it on the table since we had such a hard time sorting it.

They did put him on a dewormer, even though his stool sample came back clean, and he has been totally fine ever since. No blood or diarrhea since. Sometimes these things are just baffling. Anyway, I'm glad you took her in and I hope you get to the bottom of it soon. :)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, that's inconclusive! :(

I'm really surprised they didn't do an x-ray.
We declined the x-ray for now. I watch them all like a hawk so I'm pretty sure that there is nothing stuck in there.If it doesn't clear up in a couple days, we'll go back and get it.

They gave us tons of options. We settled on a fecal and a test for Giardia and Coccidia, the Pepto Bismol, and waiting it out.

We were also offered x-rays, rx food, surgery, and a Parvo test.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
We declined the x-ray for now. I watch them all like a hawk so I'm pretty sure that there is nothing stuck in there.If it doesn't clear up in a couple days, we'll go back and get it.

They gave us tons of options. We settled on a fecal and a test for Giardia and Coccidia, the Pepto Bismol, and waiting it out.

We were also offered x-rays, rx food, surgery, and a Parvo test.
Oh! OK, my bad. :cool: I feel much better about your Vet now. I was gonna get all outraged and worried, but see? There was no need at all! :D

·
Registered
60 Posts
I would have an xray soon.
When harley had blood in the stool, the only way they found out what was wrong was with an x-ray.... ruptured spleen and we have no idea how or why , but he was bleeding internally and the x-ray showed it. HE acted fine until he didn't.
I would be checking his gums allot ......

1 - 20 of 22 Posts