Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have heard and read a few places that before being spayed some pre-surgery bloodwork needs to be done. Pixie is scheduled to be spayed Oct. 4th but I was told nothing about this. Do I need to make a seperate appt. or do they do it the same day? Maybe that is why she has to be there the whole day! What is this bloodwork for anyways?

Also she is going to get microchipped at the same time. The vet suggested doing it then because that way she wouldnt need to go under anesthesia twice. But a friend of mine said she went to a dog event and they were microchipping dogs right there in front of people for the same price with no anesthesia. Which way do you think is better to do it or doesn't it matter? Just curious.

Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Paris my maltepoo did have bloodwork done (they called it a CBC complete blood count) before she was spayed. They took the bloodwork at the same time they gave her her last puppy shots. I really think it just depends on the vet though. I would just call the vet in advance and ask them! :)

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
What the vet normally does is run the bloodwork the day of the surgery, but before the actual sugery. So you drop your pup off early, the draw blood, run the test, and then if it comes back normal they do the surgery. Any place that doesnt include the testing in the spay I would not trust. You should never be given the option of having the bloodwork, it should be a package deal.
I would call and ask about it. If they say they do bloodwork as a seperate thing and that you dont have to do it I would go to another vet.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
My vet likes to do bloodwork before the surgery, maybe a day or two ahead of time, so they have time to get the results back.

Also, Cooper was chipped during his neuter because the vet suggested it. The needle they insert the chip with is rather large and on a small breed dog, it is a lot painless if they're asleep when the procedure is done. If you have doubts, have the vet show you the needle. :lol:

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
The bloodwork that she is talking about is the blood test that that checks to see if the pup will be ok with the anesthesia.
It should be done like Angel5218 said, right before surgery. It's done in the office, and they have the results right away.
They may also have you sign a paper giving them permission to preform other procedures in case of an emergency.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Gizmo is going on Tuesday to get his bloodwork done for his neuter...it takes about 48 hours for the results....then if all is ok, I'll probably schedule it for Friday. I'm getting him done at an animal shelter/vet clinic. It is 110 total for bloodwork, microchip, and the neutering.

I wouldn't do it without the bloodwork.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Many good vets only do those tests on older dogs. The really young ones are not considered to be a very high risk (I don't know why). And I don't what the age is that they consider them more at risk but I believe it is after they are a pup. So, after a year? And then some vets do it to all of the animals. I think they like to make their money every way they can. These are probably the vets pushing yearly vaccine boosters as well. Just a thought.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Gadget had his microchip with out anything and let me tell you the poor guy was miserable for the rest of the night..... He had to sleep with a pillow under his belly and on under his chin... he couldn't sit or lay down my himself....

It is best to do it on these little ones when they are asleep....

But he wasn't going to get neutered so we really had to do it while he was a wake....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts