Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so my vet said she can't point to anything yet until more the extensive blood tests results are back, but here are the results from the first tests;

(all greek to me ;))

ALKP = 121 U/L normal
ALT = 262 U/L high
UREA = 8.1 mmol/L normal
CREA = 92 umol/L normal
GLU = 5.63 mmol/L normal
TP = 59 g/L normal

anyone have any experience with this stuff? I hoping to educate myself so when I see the vet next time it won't all go over my head.

Thanks

Hoping for the best, preparing for the worst.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Ok, so my vet said she can't point to anything yet until more the extensive blood tests results are back, but here are the results from the first tests;

(all greek to me ;))

ALKP = 121 U/L normal
ALT = 262 U/L high
UREA = 8.1 mmol/L normal
CREA = 92 umol/L normal
GLU = 5.63 mmol/L normal
TP = 59 g/L normal

anyone have any experience with this stuff? I hoping to educate myself so when I see the vet next time it won't all go over my head.

Thanks

Hoping for the best, preparing for the worst.
Ok, I'll give you my take. :)

The only lab that's abnormal there is the ALT. Depending on the lab, that usually runs around 100. So it is twice normal, which is significant. That value can be elevated for a lot of different reasons... trauma, infection, auto immune disease, liver disease, etc. So your vet is correct to follow up on it. However, sometimes these enzymes elevate and then go back down, with no cause being found.

You said that a bile acid test was done already and was OK? That rules out a liver shunt, which is serious. That's really good news.

I would treat this as a mild abnormality and perhaps use a liver supplement such as milk thistle to try and urge the enzyme down. I would retest in 3-6 months. I wouldn't do a lot of testing and diagnostics at this point for only ONE of the liver enzymes being elevated. It's likely you won't find the cause. If this were my dog, I would treat conservatively for now and do some milk thistle as a supplement and watch it. If it went up again or other liver enzymes were involved, I would re-evaluate at that time. (My opinion only, your mileage may vary). You can find lots of information on milk thistle and liver disease online.

Here's one source:

MILK THISTLE

I would also look at going to a grain free diet if you aren't already. Grains (and kibble) tax the immune system and your dog needs really good nutritional support at this time in order to correct this. Has this dog been recently vaccinated, given heartworm or flea meds? All these medications/vaccines are processed through the liver.

Good luck. I don't think this news is as dire as you are dreading. I think your pup will be just fine. :)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I saw something in passing about milk thistle for humans, I will check out the link.

Nope, not flea meds, vacinations etc. recently. She does have food allergies and has reoccuring bouts of swollen lymph glands under her chin (side of her neck area) which my vet originally thought was teething but we are now considering the allergies as a cause. The vet was supposed to asperate the glands while Kira was asleep for her spay so we're back to waiting for that test.
We're also going to be evaluating her diet, I home feed so maybe I'm doing something wrong? May be feeding to much protien, my hubby tends to like to give chicken as a treat in the evening, hopefully it's as simple as that? Maybe I'm just reaching for straws here but,......

Thanks so much for the info and reply

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good luck. I don't think this news is as dire as you are dreading. I think your pup will be just fine.
Thanks, I hope so. Wednesday seems so far away :)
I think this is the first time I have not wanted a long weekend LOL

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
We're also going to be evaluating her diet, I home feed so maybe I'm doing something wrong? May be feeding to much protien, my hubby tends to like to give chicken as a treat in the evening, hopefully it's as simple as that? Maybe I'm just reaching for straws here but,......

Thanks so much for the info and reply
What does this mean, you home feed? If there are any kinds of imbalances in her nutrition, it will show up in her bloodwork.

·
Registered
355 Posts
My rescue coordinator has been giving milk thistle to her elderly Shih Tzu, and it seems to be helping. You might be onto something with the protein, though - it's awfully hard to control with the homemade diet (I did this with my Dobie for a couple of months, but it did not work for him).

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What does this mean, you home feed?
It just means that I cook for my pups, I don't use a commercially prepared food.

You might be onto something with the protein, though - it's awfully hard to control with the homemade diet
I think with purebreds it can be harder to get their food right, if my girls were heinz 57's it probably wouldn't be a problem, mutts can be hardier.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
It just means that I cook for my pups, I don't use a commercially prepared food.

I think with purebreds it can be harder to get their food right, if my girls were heinz 57's it probably wouldn't be a problem, mutts can be hardier.
What kind of a home prepared diet are you using? Have you met with a canine nutritionist? Just cooking meat and veggies and adding some rice to it, for example, is not a complete diet. Calcium is the one mineral most often lacking in home cooked diets. Also, cooking meats depletes vitamins/minerals so they must be added back in with supplements. Zinc, magnesium, omega 3's, etc. all have to be supplemented on a home cooked diet. I have seen many many people try and fail at a home prepared diet unfortunately. Raw is much easier, but I wouldn't suggest it until/unless the bloodwork came back normal.

It is a common misconception that mutts are hardier than purebreds. Especially when it comes to nutritional needs. In that case, they are the same. Hybrid vigor has been disproved over and over again. Is that what you are speaking of?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What kind of a home prepared diet are you using? Have you met with a canine nutritionist?
Unfortunately there are no canine nutritionists around here.
Pretty much I give a variety of chicken, fish, with potatos, veggies, yogurt, some fruits like apple, cantaloupe, etc., and a vitamin mineral supplement.

Hybrid vigor has been disproved over and over again. Is that what you are speaking of?
Yep, just going by what my vet says.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I would suggest you take a print out of your typical diet into your vet and have him look over it and give you suggestions. Balancing a home cooked diet is very difficult.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts