Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday afternoon I took the chis out to play in the backyard they were both running around & playing with my basset & they were play fighting like usual. I always feed them there dinner outside while my son is playing (we are outside anywhere from 1- 3 hours every afternoon) that way they can eat & then have time to do there business. Chili ate his dinner & some of my bassets (its the same brand nutro) & then went back to playing. He later went to the back of the yard & came back with some blood on his butt so I grabbed him up to see if one of the other dogs had bit him or scratched him I cleaned him off & didnt see anything so I put him back down to play I then saw that he was going potty & it was kinda runny with a trace of blood in it!! He has never donr this before so I have no idea what could cause it. Does anyone have any ideas? I am in the middle of switching his food from wellness puppy to nutro natural choice adult he was also in his crate for quite a few hours yesterday while I went to town but I dont think that would have anything to do with it he is finally learning not to poop in his crate but I cant imagine that holding it would make him have blood in his stool would it?

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Not to scare you, but that could be a sign of giardia I believe. If I were you I would personally take him to the vet, or at least call the vet to make sure that it's not anything urgent that needs to be treated. Please keep us posted. The only other thing I could think of is constipation maybe? I don't know if dogs can get constipated, but maybe that could've caused the blood in his feces.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
if hes still doing it this afternoon try and get a stool sample and take it down to the vet for a parasite check. id give your vet a call though see what they suggest. its not normal to have blood in the poop.

·
Registered
171 Posts
That can happen when you change food and it can happen if they have worms and can happen if they have been eating something they weren't supposed to. Many different causes for blood in their stool. To be on the safe side if it continues, call the vet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts