Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister & I Recently drover across the state to adopt my new Chi girl, she is a Blue/Tan/White(Blue Tri?) tiny little thing. She is the very first Blue Chihuahua I have ever seen and was wondering if it was a common color? She aso has the most beautiful smokey blue eyes :D

She is only the secnd Chihuahua I have owned and the first was an adult(pregnant) rescue so I didn't get to go through the whole puppy thing with her.

My new girls name is "Izzy" and so far we've been doing okay with potty training but she does have accidents at night. She is only 8 weeks old and still just around 2 lbs. We were told the parents were both only 4 lbs each, a Tri-color & a Fawn.

Any suggestions to help with the potty training and anything else that is common with Chi puppies would be very appreciated!

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Welcome to you and your pup! It's s lot of fun to have a new pup. At 8 weeks she probably can't hold it all night. Where does she stay at night? If in a crate you will needto take her out during the night. You can also keep her in a little pen with a bed and weevwee pads so she has a place to go.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Welcome! Blues are really beautiful but I would not say that they are rare (although A LOT of breeder post them as so!). There are several here with Blues. Blues can come with a unique set of health issues since Blue is a dilute color but many experience none.

For her to be Blue, there would be Blue in her lines, even if her parents are not.
Here is a list of standard AKC Chihuahua colors so you can know best what to call her:
American Kennel Club - Breed Colors and Markings

Hope was 1.5 lbs. at 8 weeks and she is just under 4 pounds at 15 months, just for your reference.

Here is an independent food ratings site for you to check out. You can search foods you plan to feed or search by star rating. you'll want to strive to feed her a 4-5 star food.
Dog Food Reviews | Dog Food Ratings

I agree on the pics! We love them here so post when you can!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's some pictures of Izzy playing with our rescued kitten, Isaac, he is about 6 months old and she's SO tiny compared to him! They're best friends now :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Blue is a dilute color. There is a genetic condition called CDA (color dilution alopecia) that occurs regularly in blues. Not all of them. But MANY of them will lose their hair. Sometimes all over and become nearly hairless, some just a thinning. If you google color dilution alopecia you will see examples of this anomaly.

And no, blue is not a rare color.

At 8 weeks and 2 pounds already, she is going to top out on the bigger side. Probably 7-8 pounds would not be unheard of. Brody was 2 pounds on the dot when he was 12 weeks old. He is now 5 pounds. Of course your mileage may vary. ;)

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I have a blue tri and a blue fawn. I get so many comments on Smoke's beautiful color. Smoke was 2 pounds at 9 weeks and he is now 18 months and is just under 8 pounds. So I think she would be bigger than her parents by quite a bit. But, even 8 pounds is a very small dog!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am just guessing on her weight, i am Sure she's not over 2lbs though...The Chihuahua that I had before (the rescue) was around 7-8lbs and just the right size, i thought anyway lol. I was amazed at how tiny her & her littermates were when we first saw them, they looked like they were too tiny to have even been born yet! her brother fit right into the palm of my hand the day we got them but he was the smallest of the litter(3 pups)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
No, they're not rare but they are beautiful! As you can see I'm fond of the color as well. ;) Izzy is adorable...congrats on her!

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I have a blue tri(Harry) who has CDA (color dilution alopecia) But he is so sweet and we love him any way he has some hair but not much.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I love Izzy's colors! What kind of kitten is Isaac? He looks much like my Himalayan, Taji...Taji is flamepoint so he's all white with red/orange tips on the ear and tail...

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Brodysmom is right, My Audrey's dad is a blue and he has pattern balding, his complete underside is bald. Audrey is the same even tho she is not a blue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I assume Isaac is a Siamese or Ragdoll mix but am not sure. Someone dumped him because he had a huge sore on his neck and his eyes were gunky(i guess that's why). I already had all the meds he needed so i took him in and he's here for good :). His neck is still healing a month later but he scratched it after a couple weeks so i had to shave his neck around the sore to keep it from getting itchy. It looks really good now. I believe his color is called Lilac. I have had Siamese before but only Tortie Point & Blue Point.

I love Izzy's colors! What kind of kitten is Isaac? He looks much like my Himalayan, Taji...Taji is flamepoint so he's all white with red/orange tips on the ear and tail...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here's a picture of Izzy in her 3rd shirt i've made. The first was too small and this one is too big.. Maybe the next one will be just right :p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.