Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

A coat colour question for you -

Beau is a Blue/Tan colour with a white chest. I love his colouring and am hoping that he will keep it but I have heard that Blue Chihuahuas tend to lose their Blue colouring. Does anyone know if this is true? Also, do you know when this would usually happen by?

Thanks
xx

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Some will go to a more grey/silver as they age.

You should also be aware that many blues carry a gene for alopecia or baldness. As he grows, you may notice thinning of his coat. In severe cases, he can lose most of his hair and be mostly bald. Not saying that will happen! It is genetically determined. But just be aware that it is a possibility with his color.

He is a cutie.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
My Darla is a blue tri and she is almost 8 months and her coat hasnt changed colour much at all.
She was darker when she was days old, then from about 3 weeks till 8 weeks she was quite light, now her coat is a little darker, but still blue.
She hasnt got any bald patches either.
She did have a bald belly at first, but even that has come in now.
Of course she could still change again at some point who knows.

Your little one is gorgeous!! x

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Your boy will always be blue. He may darken up since he's still young. Some lighten but usually they darken as they age (even more so if they are LC). Some darken to a steel blue that looks almost black...but they're still considered blue. Marleys mom was a steal blue & very dark. Some do have alopecia...that happens when both parents carry the dilute gene. Chocolates & fawns can also carry the gene but it's much more common in blues.

I have 2 blue Chi's. Matilda has a different kind of coat. I don't know if I'd say she has alopecia but she is 2 1/2 & has a darker stripe down her back & her lighter fur is very very soft. But her coat is full except on the top of her tail & on top of her head the fur is very short...but not bald. Her color hasn't changed much though. Marley's coat is thick & full. He's darkend a tad...but not so much it's very noticable. He is 8 months. Sometimes it takes a couple years for the alopecia to show or start but so far his coat is nice & our breeder is careful about who she breeds so I'm hoping nothing pops up!

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I agree with what has been said about him staying blue. They may lighten or darken with age but will always stay blue. You may have heard of blue disappearing on dogs that are born as "blue fawn" for example. Blue fawn chi puppies often do lose their blue coloration and become primarily fawn colored as they age but that is not the case with regular blues, blue and tans, blue and white, etc. I would say that most blues darken a bit as they age, our blue/tan Faith darkened a bit from when she was a puppy but is still blue. Our Glory is also a blue/tan and has not changed since she was a puppy. I would say that your Beau will probably end up the same color as Hairy, Darla, Faith and Glory.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
My Roo is a chocolate blue and she does have alopecia as Brodysmom mentioned, it's fairly common for blues. Roo has very little hair on her head, no hair on the front of her neck/stomach, and on her back she has a very thin stripe down the middle where the hair is slightly thinner, but it's nothing major.

Your baby is a real cutie. :)

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
I have 2 blue tri's and once had a silver blue. One has partial color alopecia and the other doesnt. They have just darkened up as they have aged. One is almost 1 and the other is almost 4 and starting to get some white in his blue.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Some will go to a more grey/silver as they age.

You should also be aware that many blues carry a gene for alopecia or baldness. As he grows, you may notice thinning of his coat. In severe cases, he can lose most of his hair and be mostly bald..
this is so true I have 2 blues and my male has alopecia he is half bald from his neck down he is all skin not even 1 strand of hair no problems with that tho only that his chest is always cold lol

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
It is inherited, so hard to tell if your baby will have it as he grows or not.
Not completely true Prada is Ninjas offspring and she has no alopecia so just because 1 parent may have the gene it doesnt automatically mean the offspring will. Luckily because he didnt have the alopecia until after he got neuteered and they shaved him it was then that his hair never grew back and just fell off and went completely bald. I wouldn't recommend anyone breeding a dog with alopecia I'm just sayign that it's not all the time that it will be passed on from what I learned.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Not completely true Prada is Ninjas offspring and she has no alopecia so just because 1 parent may have the gene it doesnt automatically mean the offspring will. Luckily because he didnt have the alopecia until after he got neuteered and they shaved him it was then that his hair never grew back and just fell off and went completely bald. I wouldn't recommend anyone breeding a dog with alopecia I'm just sayign that it's not all the time that it will be passed on from what I learned.
I am pretty sure that the alopecia gene is recessive so both parents would have to have it in order for the puppy to inherit it. Hopefully NO ONE would knowingly breed a dog with alopecia.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I have a LC blue & tan female who looks nearly black. Infact her coat actually has a chocolate tinge to it. She's an odd ball!!

She was certainly a true blue when she was a pup, but when we got her at 9 months she was as dark as she is now. She still has a light grey stripe in the middle of her nose.

She has what we believe to be alopecia on her ears, but we are in the midst of running tests to see if that is actually the culprit as we think she may have underlying health issues. (She is very thin despite every effort to plump her up)

We wont know for sure until they do a biopsy when they spay her, which of course, wont be until we rule everything else out and can try and get her in shape for it.

Cute pup BTW!! :D

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Ooo, good idea to share pics. :)

Marley as a newborn:

Marley at 8wks:

Marley now at 8mo:

Matilda I can't find her newborn pic at the moment but here she is at about 2-3wks:

Matilda 10wks:

Matilda now at 2 1/2yrs:

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
I will add my pics too then. lol
here is Darla,
Days old here....

3wks old

6 wks

8wks

Very recently 7months an a bit lol

a goofy one recently too haha!!
[/quote]

She had just been spayed in the last pic so belly shaved.:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You all have gorgeous Chi's! Thanks for replying. I was just wondering because we've noticed that Beau's head is becoming more red (the red patch around his eyes is spreading) and the cream on his legs and underbody is spreading further around his body, also across the rest of his body his coat is beginning to look a little chocolate/golden in some lights!

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
ooo, good idea to share pics. :)

marley as a newborn:

marley at 8wks:

marley now at 8mo:

matilda i can't find her newborn pic at the moment but here she is at about 2-3wks:

matilda 10wks:

matilda now at 2 1/2yrs:

i just wanna say for the 1000th time i love matilda and marley if you wanted to give them up for adoption i'd totally take them ;):d

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
My Billy is 7-months-old and a blue fawn. He has very, very short hair on the top of his head, like fuzz, and basically just bare skin from under his chin to the underside of his tail. His coat is very short and feels like velvet.

EDIT: I just picked him up and he does have some hair growing on his underneath now. It is still extremely short, but he is not bald there any more. lol

1 - 20 of 33 Posts