Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully I have this in the right place now.......LOL......

I have to board Chico in June for a week my son is on vacation and I have to go out of town that week.... Chico will have his 'bud' Buster with him so he won't be alone.... I just hate to think he would be in a cold damp concrete floor kennel...... what do you guys look for if you have to board your Chi??? I am really very anxious about this and want a good place for Chico.... I would LOVE to have a boarder that has those rooms that look like a real house but probably cant afford them what should I look for.... questions to ask??

suggestions/recommendations????

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
What about a pet sitter? That comes to your house? Or leave them with a friend? Have a neighbor come over to let them out? You can get recommendations from your vet or from groomers, they are usually well connected in the dog world. Any doggy daycares in your area? Sometimes they do overnight stays.

If you do decide to board at a facility, just drop in (don't call first) and check it out. Ask to see the kennels where they keep the dogs. Ask how often they are let outside, is there an extra charge for playtime or extra walks? (Yes, sometimes they do a deluxe package and you have to pay extra!) Can you bring their own beds?

I feel for you. It's a real pain to try and find someone trustworthy to watch your babies when you have to be gone!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Haha i already PM'd you some stuff but i hope someone else can give you everythin you need to know :)
Hey Cheeky, I'm just curious why you PM'd Jan instead of posting your ideas here? Where we all might learn something? I'd like to know what you had to say! We might have to look for a pet sitter/boarding situation sometime too and so I'm looking forward to what others do and any tips or helpful info would be great! So share away girl! LOL! :hello1:

·
Premium Member
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think Cheeky PM'd me because my first attempt at this was entered in the wrong place... I had mistakenly replied to a post in 'what do you think of this article' instead of creating a New Thread... and I suppose Cheeky didn't want to flood that post with an answer to my wrong post...... I was wondering why I could not see my post......LOL..... and now I know...... *sigh*... its tough getting old.....lol.........

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I think Cheeky PM'd me because my first attempt at this was entered in the wrong place... I had mistakenly replied to a post in 'what do you think of this article' instead of creating a New Thread... and I suppose Cheeky didn't want to flood that post with an answer to my wrong post...... I was wondering why I could not see my post......LOL..... and now I know...... *sigh*... its tough getting old.....lol.........
oh haha! That makes sense! I was like 'why is she PMing info that maybe we could all use?!' LOL! I hope others chime in because I think this is something that we all have to deal with at one time or another.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I asked around, one of the people I asked was a doggie expert type who works at the vet's office. she just knows so much about dogs and is great witht hem. When I asked her for recommendations she recomended HERSELF...haha. It is fabulous. When she has to work Rico is with her--she gates off the front desk area so Rico doesn't have direct contact with every pet who comes in (some could be sick). Mostly it has been weekend type of stays--Rico goes to her house--runs with her pack---get on amazingly well with all--the yorkies and the rottie --who would have guessed. He sleeps in the bed with the sitter--just like home. she says that as much as he seems to get along and have fun withteh other dogs, he waits for her if she leaves to shower or something he sits at the door waitng for her.

I wonder if you could find sometone like that...

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Tonys mother looks after Rocky for us when we go away, she is scared of dogs but not Rocky.

I had a terrible experience when I went visiting the 'best' kennels in this area, I left crying and vowed I would never go on holiday again if I had to leave him there. It was so cold and the man made me feel really stupid cause Rocky was tray/pad trained. The place was really, really cold and I just got the impression he didn't like small dogs. Also he had a go at me cause Rocky was neutered!

Oh and another thing, Rocky would get fed the same food as all the other dogs, I couldn't take out his own food or his bed!

I would go for some kinda luxuary kennels if there was any up here but Tonys mum looks after him great, he is warm and fed at the right times and the right food and he is is in his own bed.

·
Premium Member
6,744 Posts
yes mine normally stay with my mum, im in a similar situation trying to find somewhere for a few days when i get married next year as my mum and friends and family wont be able to look after them .... my groomers have a day care and can do overnight by arrangement so hopefully i will be able to book in with them as they know and like the ladies that work there

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Hey Cheeky, I'm just curious why you PM'd Jan instead of posting your ideas here? Where we all might learn something? I'd like to know what you had to say! We might have to look for a pet sitter/boarding situation sometime too and so I'm looking forward to what others do and any tips or helpful info would be great! So share away girl! LOL! :hello1:
Haha sorry! Its just that she posted it under a different subject when i first picked up on it :) lol

I said that i was looking into owning and running my owm Boarding kennels in a few years once i have all my qualifications i want and that id been visiting a lot of them myself to get an idea of how they work :). I cant remember everything i said last night i mean i did sleep since then! lol

i said to visit and turn up on the spot without an appointment to see how they "really" work, if theyre other dogs there evaulate how they look and feel; like are they relaxed and calm or do they look distressed etc just so you can tell how other dogs have settled in. Ask the staff and management loads of questions if possible. Check what you can take in for Chico like beds etc. Check for a routine like a certain feeding and exercise routine etc. Space will they have plentiful space to walk about not just be crammed in a small little pen and how much theyre interacted with ... A load of gabble but in so many words this is what i sent lol! Glad to help if that (above) helps any one at all!

·
Premium Member
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
these are wonderful suggestions! I will keep them all in mind when I visit the kennels.... I am soooo anxious about this.... I just wish I had a place that was like the doggie hotels I see on TV sometimes...

·
Registered
809 Posts
Not sure where you are but I would check into/visit all the facilities in the area. The boarding place I used to work for had a specific small dog luxury area. It was indoors only, heated floors and the kennel came with 3 potty breaks/day outside and a 20 minute playtime/day, plus a tuck-in cookie at bedtime and a peanut butter stuffed kong in the afternoon. It was perfect for the little guys. It's possible that something like that is lurking around, you just need to really look for it.

Or ask kennel what special accommodations can be made for your little one.

Look at all the gate closings and make sure that they are small enough that he can't slip through. I would never leave my dogs anywhere I couldn't take their bedding and they couldn't be fed their own food.

If all else fails look for a petsitter. A friend of mine sits for my dogs in my home for less $ than boarding all 4 of them and they get to stay home and play with their friend!

·
Premium Member
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If all else fails look for a petsitter.
I wish I had the luxury of a petsitter but I don't.... I am new to the area so I don't have friends and my son will also be on vacation that week.... *sigh*........

thanks for the suggestions.... I will ask about the small dog accommodations.... the gate closings are another idea I never thought about..... I think I will get a microchip 'installed' in Chico before all this occurs....

Jan

·
Registered
778 Posts
Don't forget to ask what vet they have on call and if you can request that your own vet be used.That is if he/she is close enough and the need arises.:)
I know that it's scary to leave your baby with strangers- but not all boarding facilities are horrible. Do what the others have suggested,go with your "gut feeling" and you'll do fine! ((hugs)):)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
We have used Camp Bow Wow and been very happy with their services. They are nationwide. I've been able to log onto the webcam and watch my girls playing during the day.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts