Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is my boyfriend's pit bull, his name is sharpy =)
he loves bobo to pieces, he always wants to play with bobo
but bobo only plays with sharpy once in a while because he's
so big!

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I LOVE pit bulls... they're great dogs. AND I like seeing that his ears and tail aren't docked. That makes me happy. :)

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i know what u mean about the ear and tail docking thing...

although, sometimes i wish his tail was docked because it always whacks me really hard when he gets excited! :x :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
534 Posts
I think your pit is gorgeous! He's so muscular! We had pits when I was a kid, but im too afraid to have one now, its a shame whats happned to them over the last 20 years.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Your pit is pretty :) I would love to have one, but like someone else said, I'm scared to. Some seriously stupid people have turned an a beautiful breed of dog into a feared animal. And it makes me sick! I always wanted one though. Maybe when the kids are gone I convince my dear sweet "husband" to get me one lol

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
luv4mygirls said:
great looking pit, but tell BF it's time to do a poopy clean up hehe...
LMAO...i always scold my bf about the poo!!...he doesnt clean it up right away...it gets me so angry haha...oh well...MEN... =X

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
I'm scared to death of pit bulls. Just yesterday an 8 year old boy in a nearby city was attacked by a pit as the kid was about to board his school bus. Luckily, the boy's dad and another man were there to fight the dog off until police arrived and shot the dog. People and their pets need to be safe. I would never allow a pit anywhere near Lily... or me either, for that matter.

I imagine I've just made some enemies by expressing that opinion. :wave:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
You haven't made an enemy out of me for that... it's understandable why people are scared of them. They are a bit more unpredictable than other breeds and you never know how their forefathers were raised and if that fight instinct is in them.

That's the sad part. They're fantastic dogs but people continue to abuse them and breed aggression into them, making them a more dangerous dog to own. People suck sometimes.

That being said, one of Cooper's best friends is a pit bull and they get along famously. I do watch Cooper like a hawk around him though - just in case.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Rachael Polachek said:
I would never allow a pit anywhere near Lily... or me either, for that matter.
I feel the same way about pits and my small dogs. They are notoriously animal aggressive and all it would take is one bite and it would be over for my pups. Why take a chance. I don't care if the dog has never shown any aggression in the past, there is a first time for everything and I don't want my dogs to be involved in the "first time". And this goes for ANY dog large and powerful enough to do my dogs in, not just pits.

That said, I like a nice pit bull. I've sure met some sweet ones. But we do have to remember what they are capable of.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Bobo looks cuter than ever! :p There have been too many incidents of pit bull attacks in NZ over the last couple of years especially and there was even talk of banning the breed. Especially bad were some attacks resulting in horrific injuries to small children. :( There are new laws, depending on the City Council in the region, which now require dangerous breeds to be muzzled in public and in some regions to be neutered as well.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i feel really sad for pits...they're so sweet...its just how people raise them...but, i wouldnt let bobo by my bf's pit unless the pit is chained up. i think he's harmless, but, just his size alone near bobo makes me nervous.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
tik0z said:
i feel really sad for pits...they're so sweet...its just how people raise them...but, i wouldnt let bobo by my bf's pit unless the pit is chained up. i think he's harmless, but, just his size alone near bobo makes me nervous.
yeah i feel bad for them as well, they got such a bad rep. it's a breed i hold close to my heart but sadly i would never own another one. inbreeding has really killed this breed, so has breeding the aggression into them. that said, the rise for popularity has also killed a lot of other breeds as well, dalmations being one of them. pit's aren't the number one biter breeds though, they are far down on the list. you just don't hear about the other dog bites though, only the rotties, pits and breeds like that.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had to respond to this post. I have raised pitbulls for 20years. People are usually afraid of pits simple because the media only shows when a pit does something bad. Yes it is true that there have been pit attacks and this is tragic and it breaks my heart. In the last 5 years our local media has only shown 1 positive pit story (a little girl was home alone and the family pit faught off a robber and saved the little girls life). All of my pits have been raised as family dogs and yes if someone were to threaten one of our family I have no doubt that our loving pups would give their very lives to protect us. I rescued a female pit (okay I took her from her priv. owner) she had been fought from the time she was able to walk straight until we took her. when we got her she had just had her 4th litter of pups (she was 3yrs old) and one of her teets was torn open (due to a pit fight). My girls were babies then (1.5yrs & new born). Not once did she offer to bite my girls even thought they climbed all over her and even yanked her tail & ears. Our youngest pit that we now have was another rescue. His momma was starved to death when her pups were 3wks old, and when we took him and his brother (at 5wks old) they were nearly dead (also starved and put outside in near freezing temps) It took 2 hrs of heated towel wraps & massage to warm them enough that they could wimper (the inside of their mouths were even ice cold, they were moments from death). We had not planned on keeping either him or his bro but when we took them to meet their new owners one of the pot. owners said he was planning on teaching him to be mean, there was no way they were getting this pup we took him back home and he is now a member of our family. He was just neutered last wk and the vet loved him. He pushed the vet away from his momma (my 16yr old daughter) with his paws but never offered to bite them. It is the owner not the breed. okay I am getting off my soap box now. If you are interested here is a link to an informative site (warning it is very graphic and not for the faint of heart). www.pitbullproblem.tk also I am posting pics w/this of my daughters pups. Sorry this is so long but I am very passionate about this subject.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
lovemylittlegeeks, well said. I watched the link you posted and it was heartbreaking. I was talking to a man yesterday who showed an interest in Zeus. He said he was big for a Chi and that his grandma has Chi's. We then started talking about his dog, pitbulls. He said they are his babies. I told him that it was a shame what the media had done to ruin this breed. There are good pits out there. He told me that Norfolk (virginia) has their share of pit bull fighting. He said that the owners actually put gun powder in their food prior to fighting to give their stomachs that burning sensation, therefore, causing anger and aggression. That just broke my heart. I would be comfortable about raising a pit from a baby, but sadly, I would be scared to adopt a pit because you don't know anything about their background and I couldn't chance that with my children or Zeus. I do love the breed though and know they are very loving and loyal dogs. Lovemylittlegeeks, I'd love to see more pics of your pits. They are beautiful. :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts