Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen several posts on here where it was mentioned that owners give their dogs bone-in chicken. I'm a little surprised. I've always been told that chicken bones are bad for dogs. Something about them being sharp and puncturing the insides as it passes through. So have I been told wrong? The bones are ok? I don't have to freak out when Hercules digs a chicken leg out of the garbage now? LOL

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Cooked bones are a big NO. Raw bones are fine. Chicken bones are quite soft and pliable when raw. Never give cooked bones. If raw bones perforated intestines, there would be no wild dogs, coyotes, foxes, or wolves in the world. ;)

So if Hercules grabs a cooked chicken bone out the garbage - yes, you should worry! Cooked bones change their composition when heated and the bones become brittle. They can splinter. Cooked bones are definitely dangerous.

There are lots of good raw feeding links and conversations here. Have a look around.

This is an especially useful site for learning about raw and how wolves and dogs have the same internal anatomy .... (click the home button at the bottom of the page and it will take you to a bunch of myths about raw. Very informative).

Myths About Raw: Are dogs too far removed from wolves to be fed raw food?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi. about those bones, from what I have read on this forum, it is raw chicken with bone in that they can have. I think if the bone is cooked is when it is dangerous.
Your dogs are lovely.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Ditto Tracy!! Raw bones are natural for dogs to consume. Part of the best diet you can feed them. But cooked bones are a huuuge no-no; and problems with those is where the rumors labeling them all 'bad' started. So keep the KFC buckets away. ;)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Its already been summed up but NO cooked bones. Only raw is ok. My girls are fed the raw diet and do so wonderful on it. If you are considering raw I would advise that you do a good amount of research on it. Its a great but its not for everybody.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok. Thanks everyone. That makes sense.
@Brody'sMom, I always thought it strange that a chicken bone could be bad. I actually wondered about wolves/wild dogs/etc and how they survived if they got a hold of a WHOLE chicken or some other bird. It didn't make sense to me.

I'm not considering going fully raw (I think the type that is called BARF?). I'm just now delving into S&C, Ziwipeak, etc type foods. I'm gonna see how that goes. Maybe when I've read up more on fully going raw, I would consider it.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
It's great that you are taking your time and reading/learning about raw before diving in. It is a different way of thinking. Many people overfeed or feed meat only (no bones) and then wonder why their dog has loose stools and think they can't tolerate raw. There is definitely a learning curve. But it is worth it if you decide that way.

I use prey model which is mostly meat (80%), a little bone (10%), and some organs (5% liver and 5% other secreting organ). For me this is easiest.

Others like to use the BARF method which includes a slurry of supplements and veggies that are blended with the raw meat. Usually meaty bones like chicken backs are fed in a separate meal for dental health.

Just take it slow and read and decide which is best for you and your dog. :)

In the meantime, the foods you suggested are excellent.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
See there. I'm already learning more! Didn't know that there were different versions of raw.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts