Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Guy Fawkes/fireworks/bonfire night coming up I thought it'd be good to did out what everyone does as this is my first ear with the chis. As a kid our dig was skittish but 'we' kept her indoors and she just slept through it.

I don't think daisy will be bothered but is liable to bark/howl the place down with the fireworks (there is a display the other side if the field behind my house)!!

Lotus however will crap herself and bark bark bark which I will still correct I thought about getting some rescue remedy and giving it to them both just in case but thought if you posted what you do I could steal your ideas :D

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
I just close the curtains ,put tv up really loud and if they look frightened i make a big happy noise and try and make it seem fun,Simba is a bit deaf so he's not too bothered ,seen too many nov the 5 Rescue R is good,my brother puts it in the drinking water a few days before as well.Still think DAP spray is the best stuff

·
Banned
1,229 Posts
Most of my dogs are ok about fireworks ( don't get upset etc )

Kirby & Domino aren't happy ( shake and pant ) I give them herbal medicine , I've started them on it already , I use it every year at firework time .

Fizzy likes to go in a small space so he will be in a crate covered with blankets etc to make him feel safe .

I will also make sure I have music/tv on to cover up the noise a little .

·
Premium Member
6,744 Posts
I give B a spray of rescue remedy about half hour before it starts, but it doesnt seem to really help my cat he just hides in my wardrobe :( ive been looking at the firework packs on dorwest herbs but im not sure

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sara what herbs are you using??? I'd like to try them!! I know daisy will not care but lotus is such a chihuahua she's onma bark and shake all night??

Chloe your poor cat :; does rescue remedy work on b?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Pippi will be coming with me to the displays - She loves them! But she is a weird dog. No idea how Maisie will react yet. She's not really bothered though with noises, so i'll prob take her along too, with the crate just incase.

For the cats though they'll be locked inside and have the TV up loud to try and drown it out a bit - Cali panics at any sound!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
What is this bonfire night you're talking about? It sounds festive!

I know on Independence Day here the fireworks go till usually the next morning and Gretel hasn't paid much mind to them but i'm not sure about Godric, he's SUCH a sissy-baby! I guess we'll get a preview on New Years.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gosh I forget it's only a uk thing

Basically it's guy fAukes night when a bunch of people plotted to blow up the houses or parliament (where the priminster and the house of lords do ther business and debate)

Guy Fawkes Night

Traditionally kids would make a guy fawkes and go round asking penny for the guy and then the guy fawkes dummy thing would be chucked on the bonfire and burnt.. Fireworks go off now there are huge displays everywhere and they normally start from the 1st November for about a week here 'we' can have fireworks on our gardens too as long as were over 21 I think or it maybe 18 to buy them I dunno but where I live they go off until new years eve now!!

It's good fun and really lovely obviously it's cold here so everyone is out in gloves hats and scarfs and go to te displays and have roasted chestnuts, jacket potatoes etc love it

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
the akitas will be in the conservetry from 5. they will run to the beds the min the first bang goes off.im going to try rescue remedy too. our living room is quiet noise proof, so im not worried about the smallies, except bianca has exceptional hearing, so i dont know what way she will react sarah esp with the babies

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Mine are usually ok with just the curtains drawn and tv on louder. Well, there is some barking bt you cant expect miracles!:D
TBH they usually have a month at least to get used to the fireworks.:(

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Well with fireworks/thunderstorms with Georgie my pom, I've tried everything and have had to resort to tranquilizers, he literally almost goes into seizures because of them he gets so panicked. I have heard that thundershirts work wonders....Thundershirt | The Best Solution for Dog Anxiety Have considered getting one but just haven't yet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts