Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Bonnie is itchy. Sratching and biting at herself. I took her collar off, 'cause she sratched non stop with it on. I have very carefully looked at her skin and tummy areas. NO fleas. No flaking. No redness. She is an extremely active little thing, goes, goes, goes, sleeps! I am slowly changing her food to a 5 star kibble. Maybe that will help. She has one more treatment for giardia tonight, then she's done. Any ideas.?

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Did you inform the vet of this? Might be having a reaction to the treatments. Maybe try a moisturizing bath. If the vet is o.k. with it-maybe Benedryl.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Just because you can't see a flea doesn't mean they're not there! They move awful quick and are masters at hiding & hanging on, they have to be.

I searched & searched mine for fleas the other day (should be easy on pale dogs) and couldn't find a single one. Bathed them all & guess what I found in the white sink after letting the wash water out - 3 fleas!!!! Treated them with spot-on, problem solved.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I've had the same problem with Mylo. He chews at his feet and scratches. The vet had a look and said there was no fleas or flaking and suggested it might be an allergy or a skin problem and to try adding a little sunflower oil to his food. Salmon oil is better if you can find it.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
When I rescued Tango at 7 months his skin was in bad shape. He'd scratched himself raw in some places though there was no evidence of fleas and he didn't have mange. The only thing I did for his skin was to put him on a superior food. He'd been eating the generic crap from the grocery store up to that point, as far as I could tell. It took a couple months, but his itching completely stopped, the raw places healed, the patchy fur filled out, and his skin has never bothered him since.

Give the good food she's eating some time to work. Bathe as little as possible. Even moisturizing baths will tend to dry out what little protective oil she has on her skin. Give it some time.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
My dogs seem to have the same problem this year. Our vet has us to add a couple of tablespoons of olive oil to their dry food every day. (They all eat from the same bowl.) This seems to do the trick.

Pedro has really dry skin, so that's his problem. The other two are responding to the olive oil so I guess they are having the same problem. I've really cut back on baths, and when I do, they get my good hair conditioner afterwards.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Is it the first time she's had a collar on? A lot of my older dogs when I rescue them, they've never had a collar on. Isis especially scratched almost none stop at her collar for a week or two until she finally got used to it. She'd be running and trying to scratch at it at the same time.

Pepe has been itchy, too. We had a problem with fleas, the cats tend to bring them in. And they are extremely bad this year. I used flea medicine on all of them and all the fleas were gone. Then 2 weeks later I checked Pepe and he had a bunch of fleas again. I checked all the other dogs, no fleas. So I treated Pepe to a Dawn dish soap bath as it was too soon to retreat with Advantage. He no longer has fleas, but it still itchy. He also had a rumbly tummy and his eyes are runny and discolored. I don't think he is handling the dog food everyone else eats. It took almost a year to find a food that addressed all my dog's allergies, and it's not good for him. *sigh* So I bought a grain free food and we are trying him on that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts