Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I have a question. In the last month or two Bonnie has been playing in a 'new' way. She runs at the playmate, biting softly, then suddenly turns quickly presenting her butt to them. I don't do anything, and the playmate does not care. They just keep on keeping on! I am asking because she is going to be spayed next Monday. Is this a sexual behavior? She is 6.6 months old. She also has some adult teeth coming in and the puppy ones are still there. Those will be pulled.

235 Posts
Hiya

Honestly because it has just started then yeah I think it does sound like a sexual thing BUT
clio has a playmate called finty, who is a westie cross king charles and shes a week younger then clio.
I noticed that finty from day one always done that to clio and it drove clio mad ...so then I noticed after a while clio copped on and started doing them same thing..So now they play along fine because before finty had the advantage before of turning away and sticking her bum up at clio so as clio couldnt bite her but now clio does it aswell so they play fair..although atm finty is about four or five times bigger then clio so we have gotta be more careful now

but this all started when finty was only 12 weeks old so with her I dont think It was a sexual thing with her because she was so young

I think you will make up your own mind then she is done whether or not she still does it
If she does still do it then its just a playing thing I wouldnt worry to much

About the teeth I have no clue Im actually wondering the same because clio is now 5.5 months old and iv noticed she is missing some teeth but also has new ones coming in under her baby teeth...xxxxxxx

sorry I couldnt be more of a help xxx

·
Registered
382 Posts
Actually, Stella does that too. Sometimes I know it's sexual... but I also think that might just be how she plays.

However, Stella is spayed. I didn't notice this behavior until another dog was added into the mix... who is also a spayed female.

So honestly, I don't know!

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
ime experience it's been the tinies of both sexes who do this, and not in a sexual way, it's more of a, "I'm smaller than you, you swat me on the face & I fall down or my mouth isn't big enough to play fight the way you do, so I'm gonna back my butt into & keep gong backwards, you can kiss my a$$ 'coz there ain't no way you're gonna get to my tiny face!" ime, also, it's not just been Chis, rather any mischief maker who's smaller but more agile & faster than their opponent.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
I'm not sure. Toby has played like that since the day that he came home. He always sticks his butt in the other dogs face. Nothing sexual here, though, since he was neutered at 6 months and has been doing it since he was a baby.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Penny sticks her butt in Lion's face when they are playing all of the time. We call it "butt-blocking" lol. In an un-spayed dog it could be sexual, especially if they are in heat.. But since you are having her spayed in a few days and it doesn't sound like she is in heat, I wouldn't worry about it. It is probably just a play thing.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Lyra used to do this with Sprite, the pom, when we first brought her home. Sprite had very poor balance, and even though he was 6 months older and a couple pounds bigger than her, when she swung her butt into his shoulder, he'd fall over and she could pounce him and do face-bitey play. Which makes me wonder if maybe this is a behavior young pups do in a litter to knock each other over during play without being confrontational?

Of course, it could also have a pseudo-sexual component. Lyra also humps Sprite regularly, too. :p

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Presenting a butt isn't always necessarily sexual in behavior; it's also considered a polite greeting amongst dogs as a non-threatening gesture. She's just minding her manners. =D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts