Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm worried...not blown up to full-fledged panic, but I'm defnitely worried.

Boo started coughing last night. A cough here or there. Nothing bad. Maybe 4 coughs in total between 6 and 11 pm. Then this morning I woke up to him coughing up this white foam, looked and saw that his side of the bed was wet from constant coughing. I put him in the playpen to minimize his movements and keep the foam in one location so I could examine it, and just in the past 30 min. he's coughed enough to make a pool of slime in one corner of the pen. It looks like he's now throwing up a little from the constant coughing too as I found a couple of food particles in the pool. No large pieces like he actually threw up.

You might be wondering why I haven't taken him to the vet yet? I hate this town. I HATE THIS TOWN!!!!!

My vet doesn't open until 8:30...sometimes the vet comes in at 9. The nearest emergency vet clinic is almost 2 hours away in Macon. So either way, I'm stuck here trying to comfort Boo and not lose another furbaby. Oh God, I'm thinking back to Poppet and I feel the panic starting. I"m trying to tap it down. Even my old vet in my hometown (who DOES do emergency calls) is 2 hours away in the opposite direction.

I've done some searching on it, and I think he might have scratched his throat. Yesterday he chewed on a pig tail. That's the only thing I can think of, but he didn't seem like he was choking on anything. Never coughed once while he chewed, ate some Cesars last night (around 10) without any problems. Hasn't been exposed to anything in the times between. I just don't know what's wrong.

Please let him be alright. And please let my vet do partial payments as I'm cash strapped after paying for Pearl. I hate this. God, I wish I had pet insurance right now. If I thought for a moment that something couldn't/wouldn't be done b/c of finances...:foxes15:

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Awww, I can't be much help with diagnoses as I haven't dealt with something like this before, but I do want to say do't worry too much and just get him into a vet as soon as you can. I am sure he will be fine. We will be praying and keep us posted!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awww, I can't be much help with diagnoses as I haven't dealt with something like this before, but I do want to say do't worry too much and just get him into a vet as soon as you can. I am sure he will be fine. We will be praying and keep us posted!
Thank you. I let him out for a bit, and that seemed to help as he came back without coughing, but I waited for a about 30 min. and sure enough he let out a little cough again. I'm still taking him to the vet though he seems better for right now.

I spoke too soon. Another loud cough and this one also had the white foam I've come to recognize so well. :(

Right now I'm just biding my time and counting the minutes until the vet's office opens up.

·
Registered
261 Posts
sounds like kennel cough to me my bulldogs had exactally the same symptoms they were put onto antibiotics and it cleared up but would get to a vet asap lexi also had a cough like that went on for 3 mnth my vet thought it was lung worm as nothing we tried cleared it up until the panacur wormer please let us know

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Praying that Boo is OK! Keep us posted.

Brodysmom

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you so much.

I called the vet and was told that I couldn't drop him off as it sounded like kennel cough and could be highly contagious. So I have an appointment at 10 today. Will be leaving in about 10 min. Boo is still producing copious amounts of phlegm and I've had to put him on a beach towel in the playpen again just to keep my floors from becoming saturated.

I can't imagine where he picked the kennel cough up from unless he got it from Pearl and Tilly. They're kept in a kennel-like atmosphere, but it's inside Jody's house. And they showed no symptoms while they were here. But Boo doesn't have any other exposure to other dogs besides them. He goes up to the neighbor's dog every once in a while, but she's not had kennel cough before and is vaccinated for it since my neighbor boards her now and then at the vet's office.

I hope it's kennel cough as that's fairly common and not dangerous, but on the other hand...I hate having to tell Jody that her chi pups have been exposed to a dog that has it. By doing me a favor and taking them in, she's putting her entire "pack" at risk. Oh boy. She's going to hate me.

Boo is up to date on his vaccinations, but I think the bordatella one is every 6 months, isn't it? He had it during his yearly, but I never took him back for the bordatella one b/c I never board him, he's never around other dogs, and the vet has never recommended that I do unless I board him.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Bordetella is a tricky vaccine. Most boarding places recommend it within 6 months of boarding but it only protects against a couple strains of kennel cough and there are many. So even if they were vaccinated, they could still get it! It's airborne so it's easy to pick up from an infected dog. I've heard there can be "carriers" also that can pass on the infection to other dogs but not show symptoms themselves. So that further complicates it.

I do know that it's fairly easy to treat! So if he has it, that's good. I'm not sure what to do about the puppies though. They would have been exposed so I'm not sure the breeder will want to take them back and expose her other dogs, as you pointed out? Shoot!! If he does have kennel cough, I'd guess she'd have to keep the pups isolated from the rest of her dogs? Ask the vet when you go in and see what they recommend.

Let us know what the vet says. I'm hoping it's just something simple and easy to take care of! :)

Brodysmom

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Oh poor you and poor little Boo. I hope it is nothing worse than kennel cough. Keep us updated on how your baby is doing. Poor little thing.

Unfortunately, the bordatella vaccine is not 100% effective. There is still a chance that they can get kennel cough but just not as bad. Also the nasally instilled vaccine is more effective than the injectable.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
OH my lord, haven't you been through enough? When Lily got sick after I got her, I immediately reverted back to Bambi. It's so normal. Boo will be okay sweetie. It's probably "the cough". That thing is nasty. If not, they'll figure it out. I love your new siggy and we are here for you. I totally understand what you are going through. Please let us know as soon as you can. I'm sending support and positive vibes.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Back from the vet. Thank you everyone for your positive vibes. They must have paid off because he's o.k. The vet says it's not kennel cough and his lungs and heart sound fine. His trachea is inflammed. The vet says that the amount of phlegm produced by Boo is uncommon for this ailment but not unheard of. He gave him two injections which have already shown a tremendous improvement in him and gave me some pills to continue to suppress the cough and heal his throat.

I was so worried that I started crying in the examining room before he came in. Everything was just the same as with Poppet. I started to pet Boo and tell him it was going to be o.k., but I remembered that is what I said to Poppet and stopped. I just stopped, put him on the exam tray, and held him a different way. It's odd, I know, but the mind just goes all superstitious on me whenever I get scared.

The vet was questioning me about any chemicals Boo might have come in contact with. Poppet had the same thing happen to him before, but it was linked to his allergies and was more of a dry cough. The only chemical that's come into the house that's been new is "Out!" odor neutralizer spray I purchased Friday. I used it over the weekend. Prior to that, I had been using a Petsmart brand, but we don't have a Petsmart near us in this town, so I got the "Out!" from Walmart. I don't know if that could be the cause or not, but I'm not taking any chances. Into the trashbin it goes, and in the meantime I'll use some of the Shaklee cleaner I've got left and throw in some vinegar for good measure. Might stink a bit in the house for a day or two but better that than another 70 dollars at the vet's office and about 10 years taken off my life through worry. :)

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Oh thank god. I've kept my computer on hoping you would check in. Yea, he's okay. I understand how scary it is after losing an animal. I'm so glad he's doing better. Now, relax mommy and be good to yourself. Keep us posted. Great news.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Right now he's asleep and hasn't had a productive cough in 30 min. Hurray! He gave out a half-hearted cough we first got here, but I'm just glad that he's able to get some sleep as I don't think he had any last night from the looks of how wet the comforter and sheets are. Ick! Thank goodness it's laundry day.

I've got to go to work in a just a little while, but I wanted to post again and thank you all again for the wonderful support and caring you gave me today. Words just aren't enough, but just imagine a great big :hug: from me to you.

I'll probably stop by the grocery store today and grab some chicken breasts so I can make him some warm chicken and rice tonight for dinner. With his throat being inflammed, I'll probably keep him on soft foods for a while. Spoiled rotten baby ;)

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
You are a great mom and you are very welcome. This forum has got me thru my worst pet moments ever. Try to have a good day. I'm sure he'll just rest and love the warm dinner you're going to make him. :p

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Great news about Boo!! Soo happy it wasn't infectious like kennel cough and so now you don't have to worry about the little ones. I'm so glad. What a relief!!! :)

Brodysmom

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Oh thank goodness! I am so glad that he is OK. They are all just so small, they really are like babies and they worry us sooooo much! I hope that Boo continues to make a speedy recovery and that he doesn't scare you or us like that again! Can you give him a good talking to please!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts