Chihuahua People Forum banner

21 - 40 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
I highly recommend 'Merle's door - Lessons from a free thinking dog".
If you love dogs, and good writing - You will love this book.
It is simply wonderful, and very difficult to set it down.

I cried like a baby at several points, but still absolutely loved it.
Everyone who I've recommended it to says the same thing
"couldn't put it down - cried like mad - loved it'

Here's the authors website.
http://www.kerasote.com/

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
A Walk In The Woods - Bill Bryson

I'm about one third through this book, and am really enjoying it.
It's the authors description of his hike over the length of the Appalachian
trail.

The book is about 10 years old, but I don't tend to stick with the current best sellers list - if a book looks interesting, I'll probably get it.
(if it looks interesting and half price, I'll definitely get it !)

A description of the story I found;

For a start there's the gloriously out-of-shape Stephen Katz, a buddy from Iowa along for the walk. Despite Katz's overwhelming desire to find cozy restaurants, he and Bryson eventually settle into their stride, and while on the trail they meet a bizarre assortment of hilarious characters. But A Walk in the Woods is more than just a laugh-out-loud hike. Bryson's acute eye is a wise witness to this beautiful but fragile trail, and as he tells its fascinating history, he makes a moving plea for the conservation of America's last great wilderness. An adventure, a comedy, and a celebration, A Walk in the Woods is destined to become a modern classic of travel literature.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I'm about one third through this book, and am really enjoying it.
It's the authors description of his hike over the length of the Appalachian
trail.

The book is about 10 years old, but I don't tend to stick with the current best sellers list - if a book looks interesting, I'll probably get it.
(if it looks interesting and half price, I'll definitely get it !)

A description of the story I found;

For a start there's the gloriously out-of-shape Stephen Katz, a buddy from Iowa along for the walk. Despite Katz's overwhelming desire to find cozy restaurants, he and Bryson eventually settle into their stride, and while on the trail they meet a bizarre assortment of hilarious characters. But A Walk in the Woods is more than just a laugh-out-loud hike. Bryson's acute eye is a wise witness to this beautiful but fragile trail, and as he tells its fascinating history, he makes a moving plea for the conservation of America's last great wilderness. An adventure, a comedy, and a celebration, A Walk in the Woods is destined to become a modern classic of travel literature.
I read this book several years ago and it is one of my all time favorites!!! I found myself laughing out loud on several occasions. It really was a great read. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. It didn't hurt that I've hiked several sections on the AT - I could relate EXACTLY!

I just ordered, "The Modern Dog: A Joyful Exploration of How We Live with Dogs Today" by Stanley Coren. I can't wait to get it!!

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Look back three posts :)

" Merle's Door " is a book every dog lover should read ( in my opinion) !
I'm sure Ann would agree with that statement, too.

(it's not about 'Merle' coats by the way)

After I read it, I had a hard time finding another book to read for
months. Everything seemed dull in comparrison.

What kind of books do you like to read ?

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
I just ordered, "The Modern Dog: A Joyful Exploration of How We Live with Dogs Today" by Stanley Coren. I can't wait to get it!!
I think I have some of his books, I'll have to check.
The name sounds familiar.

Did he write a series of books on dogs and behavior - something like
What is your dog thinking...etc.?

Ann, if you haven't read 'The Art Of Racing In The Rain" by Garth Stein yet,
I'd suggest you find it asap. :)
Based on your other comments, I think
you'd absolutely love it as much as I did.

It's the story (told by the dog) of a family, the father being an amateur race driver. Of course it knocked me out because Carlos loved to drive so much too, but that was just a happy coincidence.

Racing plays only a background role in the novel.
The writing is beautiful and and so hard to put down.

I have so many books I'd like to recommend, but they are at home ( I'm not at the moment) and mostly in boxes from the move still :(:(

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
Reading the Charliane Harris Series right now , very good if you liked the twilight saga!
Does this have anything to do with the tv show true blood?
Is the first book called Dead Until Dark

Thank you in advance.

What kind of books do you like to read ?
I'm not sure if you were asking me but I will answer you? :D

I like history books. It could be real or fiction but I like when it's in the old ages.

I like reading sad stories about what real people went thro. Like the book
A Child Called It

I like books like the twilight saga.

I'm not into books about animals or books like gossip girl.
Those I like to watch than read them.

·
Registered
734 Posts
If you read the Twilight saga , i have a series of books that you might enjoy , its by Charlaine Harris ! I am reading one now and its really good ! Its the sookie stackhouse series i think ! the first one is dead until dark !

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
If you read the Twilight saga , i have a series of books that you might enjoy , its by Charlaine Harris ! I am reading one now and its really good ! Its the sookie stackhouse series i think ! the first one is dead until dark !
Cool I will buy it tomorrow. I like books with a saga. Because when the book ends I'm always think ohh but I so love this character I want to know more. hehe

We can talk about it here. What book and chapter are you ate now. I will keep up with you so we can discuss it. :)

And of course if anyone want to join in the fun. ;)

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Look back three posts :)

" Merle's Door " is a book every dog lover should read ( in my opinion) !
I'm sure Ann would agree with that statement, too.
I absolutely agree 100%!!

Have you read "From Baghdad with Love"?

I think I have some of his books, I'll have to check.
The name sounds familiar.

Did he write a series of books on dogs and behavior - something like
What is your dog thinking...etc.?
Yep - that's the one!

Ann, if you haven't read 'The Art Of Racing In The Rain" by Garth Stein yet,
I'd suggest you find it asap. :)
Based on your other comments, I think
you'd absolutely love it as much as I did.

It's the story (told by the dog) of a family, the father being an amateur race driver. Of course it knocked me out because Carlos loved to drive so much too, but that was just a happy coincidence.

Racing plays only a background role in the novel.
The writing is beautiful and and so hard to put down.

I have so many books I'd like to recommend, but they are at home ( I'm not at the moment) and mostly in boxes from the move still :(:(
Thanks for the tip - I'll look for it!! I'd love to hear what other books you'd recommend!

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
I haven't read From Baghdad with Love.

I think I might have picked it up and put it back down because it
looked like it would be too sad. Maybe it was something else I saw.

The Stanley Coren books are wonderful.
I have "How Dogs Think" and "How To Speak to Dogs", and both are great.
The Modern Dog looks like it would really be good.
I haven't seen it at the local stores.

Temple Grandin's 'Animals In Translation' - is simply fascinating.
I just bought "Animals Make Us Human" by her, but I'm waiting until
I finish 'A Walk In The Woods' before I start another book. :)

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
yeah , it does chico's mom! very good good series ! they have bout 13 chapters to them but long chapters !
I got the book yesterday. Started redding last night. It's almost like I'm reading the script of the tv show. lol But since I like spoilers I don't mind one bit to know what well happen next. And what I love about books is that they express more in them than in any movie or tv show. ;)

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Fadhila, if you liked a child called it - have you read angela's ashes? or the glass castle? they're both similar in that they're autobiographical books about difficult childhoods, very sad, very very well written for both books. If you're into quirky autobiographies like me, running with scissors by augusten burroughs is excellent. don't bother watching the movie, it was horrendous and did nto do the book justice.

i just finished a couple books - i read 3 jodi picoult books back to back becase i just enjoyed my sister's keeper so much but i think i'm sick of her writing style. i read by her, my sister's keeper, the plain truth, and nineteen minutes. All entertaining, easy breezy read.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Jazzman - are you enjoying "Walk in the Woods" so far? I really loved it and was sad when I was finished.
Ann,

It's been so difficult to find time for more than few pages here and there.
I'm about 3/4ths through.

I do love Katz, though. I understand his mindset well.
I'm sure you do too, having spent time on the trail

The lines where he tells the obnoxious casual hikers ' Thanks for sharing
a few inches of your space - it's been a slice' made me laugh for a long time.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Ann,

It's been so difficult to find time for more than few pages here and there.
I'm about 3/4ths through.

I do love Katz, though. I understand his mindset well.
I'm sure you do too, having spent time on the trail

The lines where he tells the obnoxious casual hikers ' Thanks for sharing
a few inches of your space - it's been a slice' made me laugh for a long time.
LOL! One of the funniest parts to me was when he threw the coffee filters away to lighten his load! Funny book!! I just may have to re-read it!

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Fadhila, if you liked a child called it - have you read angela's ashes? or the glass castle? they're both similar in that they're autobiographical books about difficult childhoods, very sad, very very well written for both books. If you're into quirky autobiographies like me, running with scissors by augusten burroughs is excellent. don't bother watching the movie, it was horrendous and did nto do the book justice.

i just finished a couple books - i read 3 jodi picoult books back to back becase i just enjoyed my sister's keeper so much but i think i'm sick of her writing style. i read by her, my sister's keeper, the plain truth, and nineteen minutes. All entertaining, easy breezy read.

Angela's Ashes was wonderful!!

21 - 40 of 175 Posts