Chihuahua People Forum banner

41 - 60 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
I LOVE to read!! I constantly have a book going. I read only historical fiction set in the medieval period, anything from the 16th century on back. My favorite authors are Elizabeth Chadwick, Helen Hollick, Sharon Kay Penman, and Valerie Anand. Right now, I'm reading King of the Wood by Valerie Anand, set in the period of William Rufus, who was king after William the Conqueror.

I also love Diana Gabaldon, and have the whole Outlander series, except for the one which is being published this September (hopefully). Even though this series is not set in the time period I enjoy reading, my sister-in-law had given me her first book for a present and after reading that I was hooked.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Fadhila, if you liked a child called it - have you read angela's ashes? or the glass castle? they're both similar in that they're autobiographical books about difficult childhoods, very sad, very very well written for both books. If you're into quirky autobiographies like me, running with scissors by augusten burroughs is excellent. don't bother watching the movie, it was horrendous and did nto do the book justice.

i just finished a couple books - i read 3 jodi picoult books back to back becase i just enjoyed my sister's keeper so much but i think i'm sick of her writing style. i read by her, my sister's keeper, the plain truth, and nineteen minutes. All entertaining, easy breezy read.
Reading the Glass Castle right now. I'm halfway through it and can't put it down. I loved Angela's Ashes. So well written. I'm way into true crime novels right now. Just love them.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I'm reading People of the Earth by W. Michael Gear and Kathleen O'Neal Gear. It's form The First North Americans Series. Anyone else reading these? They're kinda like Clan of the CAve Bear. I love them.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I LOVE to read!! I constantly have a book going. I read only historical fiction set in the medieval period, anything from the 16th century on back. My favorite authors are Elizabeth Chadwick, Helen Hollick, Sharon Kay Penman, and Valerie Anand. Right now, I'm reading King of the Wood by Valerie Anand, set in the period of William Rufus, who was king after William the Conqueror.

I also love Diana Gabaldon, and have the whole Outlander series, except for the one which is being published this September (hopefully). Even though this series is not set in the time period I enjoy reading, my sister-in-law had given me her first book for a present and after reading that I was hooked.
I absolutely love the Outlander series and read them often. I can't get enough of Jamie and Claire. I was on cloud nine when i saw the release date for the next one. It really irked me when they first came out and were classified as historical romance. :foxes15: the stories have so much more to them than romance. :protest: that would have been the last place i would have put them.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I absolutely love the Outlander series and read them often. I can't get enough of Jamie and Claire. I was on cloud nine when i saw the release date for the next one. It really irked me when they first came out and were classified as historical romance. :foxes15: the stories have so much more to them than romance. :protest: that would have been the last place i would have put them.
I love the Outlander books...wait, there's another one coming out?!?!?!?

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I love reading! My most favorite series are Twilight, House of Night, Harry Potter and Sword of Truth. Well I think everyone knows about Twilight now, they are just so amazing. I got into House of Night because Twilight is over, and it's a very different take on the whole vampire thing. I loved them. I read the first in the series, Marked, and then ran out and bought all the rest right away, plowed through them in two days :D I gave them to my mom and she loves them too.

In the books vampires exist and everyone knows about them, they kind of live amongst people, and vampires are 'created' when a biological reaction triggers a change around puberty. Vampire fledglings then have to go live at the House of Night until they complete the change into full vampires. So basically it's a finishing school for vampires, and quite an awesome story :D I was very surprised at how much I liked them. The newest one comes out in October and I can't wait!!

Sword of Truth is also amazing, the first in the series is called Wizard's First Rule. It's very unlike anything I've ever read. My mom picked up the first book because she found it on sale for $3. She then read through them all. She gave them to me and I couldn't put them down. My brother read them after and he NEVER reads, he went out and bought them all in hard cover haha. My parents then gave them to their friends and one of them got two tattoos of things from the book. It's like a virus spreading amongst our family and friends, and everyone who reads them can't stop lol. They are fantasy, but they have everything in them. Action, the best romance story I've ever read, philosophy, religion, politics. It's seriously amazing. I don't even put it in the same league as other books I've read ^_^ It's also very 'real' ... there are parts in the book where I've caught myself literally holding my breath, sitting on the edge of my seat in suspense. I don't think a book has every pulled me in the way these ones do.

Has anyone here read them? Not many people seem to know about them, but at the same time they have a huge following. They tried to put a show out this year based on them, Legend of the Seeker, which was pretty good, but compared to the books ... well, not at all the same story/character feel.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Has anyone here read them? Not many people seem to know about them, but at the same time they have a huge following. They tried to put a show out this year based on them, Legend of the Seeker, which was pretty good, but compared to the books ... well, not at all the same story/character feel.
I love the Sword of Truth books! I read the first 4 or 5, then got busy and lost interest, kind of. I want to read them again, but the first one is never in at the library :) I feel like I need to start over if I want to read the newest ones, or I'll just get confused!

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I love the Sword of Truth books! I read the first 4 or 5, then got busy and lost interest, kind of. I want to read them again, but the first one is never in at the library :) I feel like I need to start over if I want to read the newest ones, or I'll just get confused!
Yay, someone else who has read them :D I loved the ending trilogy, it was great, but yeah, since they're pretty much one big story might be confusing. I wasn't a huge fan of book 7 or 8, but they are still worth reading. Just compared to the others, they were so good it's a high standard to live up to ^_^

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
This book is more marketed towards the teen audience but they're my fave books so i thought id share! :) 'Cathy's Book' is so great its sort of chinese themed, about a teen girl cathy and discovers her boyfriend is imortal, etc. (doesnt sound as good as it is) but its sort of a mystery book and she's trying to solve the mystery.. she discovers evidence and clues etc in the book and theres a pack in the front cover in the book with all the actual evidence she finds and stuff so its interactive :D its so cool! in the pack it has stuff like old letters, birth certificates, old photographs, etc. it's really really cool!

there's also 2 sequels; Cathy's Key & Cathy's Ring! :D x

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I'd love to read Marly & Me, but didn't go to see the movie because i heard the ending was sad :( & so i dunno if i could handle the book! :lol: :lol: lol! x

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
The book is so much better then the film IMO. The owners seem more like real people and not just stereotypical bad dog owners, like in the film.
Also try Endal. About the best service dog ever and his owner. That one made me sob just from the relationship the guy forged with his dog.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I preordered my echo in the bone book! They are gonna ship it to me. I have been waiting for this! i wish jean auel was as prolific a writer as diana gabaldon. i've been wanting to read the next in the clan of the cave bear series since the last one came out years ago. it takes her so long, i sometimes wonder if she doesnt get writing again till the money runs out from the most recent book.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I read twilight recently and thought it wasn't bad but I've heard bad reviews on the rest. I do have them but haven't read them yet. Are they any good?

Also has anyone read any of the True Blood books? I just bought the first one.

Has anyone read The Time Travellers Wife? I got the book after seeing the film advertised but haven't read it yet.

Oh and I love the series Dexter and was thinking of getting the books, anyone read them?

41 - 60 of 175 Posts