Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What exactly do the bordatella vaccines protect against? And are they necessary? Or are they like the lime vaccine? :wave:

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
bordatella

If Im not mistaken I believe the Bordatella protects against kennel cough :wave:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Kennel cough is right! :D

Most places where your pet would be boarded, whether while you're on vacation or after surgery, require bordetella vaccine. In human terms, I guess you would relate it to the flu shot. Just an extra precaution.

I get Cooper his because he's around a lot of dogs on a regular basis and you never know who's got a runny nose. :lol:

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Lily goes to doggy daycare so I get her vaccinated every year for kennel cough. Oddly enough, my daycare owner doesn't believe in it because the vaccine only protects against 3 of the bacteria and there are something like 17 that can cause kennel cough. But Lily has a heart murmur so the symptoms would be much worse if she were to contract it.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Plus bordatella is airborne so if your pup is anywhere near a infected dog, they could contract it. :D

It is important too to also remember that kennel cough (or what is commonly referred to as kennel cough) can be caused by many different viruses/bacteria and Bordatella Brochisepta is only one of them, Distemper, Adenovirus, etc... are also causes of kennel cough.

Is it necessary? In some areas YES, mostly urban or suburban areas where the animal population is high and chance of airborne contamination is high. It is recommended in all major and surrounding cities, but in places such as farm countries, risk of infection is low, so it may not be recommended.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I always always always do bordatella. Its painless for the dog, because its intranasal..( nosedrops) and k. cough is so cantageous. Its airborn and can be transfered from humans to dogs. Even if someone pets your dog...if they petted a dog w/ k. cough earlier...now your dog may get it. Bordatella is fairly inexpensive...I would definatley do it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts