Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 3 year old rescue chihuahua (first dog, 3rd week in now) is settling in and getting the hang of things. The one issue I'm still wrestling with right now is two-fold. He is really dependent on me, even though he likes everyone else in the family but will still be very sad if I'm not home, and so I've tried to hold myself back from adoring him 24/7 so he could get comfortable with not having to be totally reliant on that. When I don't give him attention he lurks over to the other side of my bed where I can't see him and he peeks at me every few minutes to see if I'm ready to play. I don't think he would be doing that if he found another way to entertain himself. The problem I am facing right now is he doesn't seem to like any toys and I've tried many different kinds. What should I do?

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
have u bought any self help books for chihuahuas? chihuahuas are known to be a breed that picks a favorite person in the family to stick with. in my case it's me. im the only one he brings a toy to when i come through the front door, he will playbow! when they dont have their fav person to play with they will "settle" with another human in the house. dont hold back on lovin ur baby!!!! some chis dont like toys...its pretty rare i'd say but another person on here has the same problem if i remember correctly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
have u bought any self help books for chihuahuas? chihuahuas are known to be a breed that picks a favorite person in the family to stick with. in my case it's me. im the only one he brings a toy to when i come through the front door, he will playbow! when they dont have their fav person to play with they will "settle" with another human in the house. dont hold back on lovin ur baby!!!! some chis dont like toys...its pretty rare i'd say but another person on here has the same problem if i remember correctly.
I don't have any self help books but I have done a lot of research on chis and adopted dogs online in the past few months. I do remember reading that Chis do stick to one person the most, is that a forever thing? I love that he likes me so much and it feels great that I'm his favorite person in the world but for his sake I wanna soften the blow when I have to leave him (which I have started to do, I don't make a big deal out of leaving and returning). I tried putting peanut butter on some toys, he licks it and when the peanut butter is gone he just stops - never goes deeper with the toy lol.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
It never stops. Once they pick their favorite person, you are theirs for life. Just continue to not make a big deal when you leave and when he sees you always come back, it may soften the blow. Do you work? If you do, he will learn the routine and 'know' when you are expected to come back. Then, while you're away, he'll know to hang with someone else and sleep all day or something. To hold yourself back from loving him all the time is like punishment to these dogs, he will wonder what he did to make you push him away and can make the seperation more scary for him. Love him to death, leave without fanfare and settle into a routine and he should do just fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.