Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I just took Bosco to the vet for his 12 week shots -- he's had his 6 and 8 week shots without any problems but about an hour after he got his shots today he started swelling up! His eyes were little slits and his ears were real thick with swelling...and his belly and paws turned bright red...He kept scratching and biting himself and crying...

We took him to the Emergency Animal Hospital (Karl drove 95!) since our vet was closed for the day and they said it was just a reaction and gave him an antihistimine shot. He is much better now but still not 100%. He is still itching and his ears are still swollen.

Any advice on how to make him feel better? The doc said to give him pediatric benadryl every 8 hours (1.5 teaspoon each time.) That seems lik a lot for a little dog.

Keep Bosco in your thoughts so he gets all better soon!

Thanks!
Anna

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
oh get well little man if you see how much iot recommends for very young babies and then halve it as it is worked out on weight :)

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
OH MY BABY BOSCO......Oh no, I want to be there to hold his little paw. I have in my notes that dogs can get 1-2cc's for every six pounds. I hope he is ok soon, please keep us posted :(

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone! We had to take Bosco to the emergency room for a second time - he started swelling up really bad again. They had to give him 2 more shots (total of 4 today!). We stuck around awhile and he threw up 2 more times but then he seemed fine. Now he is eating, drinking, running, and playing so I think he is much better. His ears are both droopy though. We are going to give him some childrens Benadryl in about an hour. Wish us luck. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the well wishes and the advice on the medicine.

·
Registered
559 Posts
oh bosco sweetheart please get better, you are too cute to be sick! im so happy to know he is already starting to feel better.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Poor baby Bosco :(

oh no!! I hope Bosco feels better soon!!! That same thing happened to Neville when he got his second set of shots, the first went without a hitch and then when he got his second set he blew up like a balloon!!!

I hope he is feeling better soon!

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the well wishes everything. Bosco is back to being 100% better although both of his ears are floppy instead of standing up like they have been. Nevilleismybaby, has Neville had his next set of shots yet? Bosco has to get more shots at 15 weeks and I am scared the whole thing will happen again. The emergency vet said that my regular vet needs to give him an antihistimine shot BEFORE the other shot to reduce the swelling, etc...

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Boogaloo said:
The emergency vet said that my regular vet needs to give him an antihistimine shot BEFORE the other shot to reduce the swelling, etc...
Yes I read that too.....but I would still be a little scared, but be brave for Bosco's sake, they know when we are nervous... :(

·
Registered
763 Posts
I always give my dog the liquid benedryl b4 they get the shots. I give alot of my own shots. What it is, is that many small dogs have reactions to the lepto in shots. Ask your vet, but ours says our dogs dont need it here. They get lepto from getting in rat urine and I know my dogs dont go playing in that. I never get lepto in the shots.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts