Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They had it at the local pet store, and the manager said I could bring it back if not satisfied.

Joie grows more and more terrified during thunderstorms. They never used to bother him, but now he shakes and paces and will not calm down. Even the sound of the rain starting gets him upset.

I sincerely hope it works to any degree. I know others might be interested in the outcome. It is supposed to rain tonight so I may be able to tell you more tomorrow

·
Premium Member
5,271 Posts
I bought my terrier one(there is a post on here about it)... it helps him with storms and just generally calms him down....
let us know how Joie likes it.....

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Glad it arrived, Alan! Best of luck with it, let us know how it goes! :)

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A storm came and went this evening.
So far the results are positive :)

He stayed sandwiched into a chair with me ( which he always does ) but
his shaking was minimal and actually stopped. It wasn't a perfect storm, but there was thunder and rain and wind, so the triggers were there.

As I said, any relief is good. I'm anxious to see how he does in the future.
He did calm down, so wooo hooo !

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Woohoo! So happy to hear it helped a bit! :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
So glad to hear it helped! I've been wondering if they truly worked. Mine aren't afraid of storms, but if I ever have a dog in the future who is scared of them, I now know I have an option to help them!

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Good to know that it helped. I was thinking of getting one for Delilah, she is terrified of firecrackers. We hardly ever get thunderstorms. I don't know if it is worth it to get this for her for one night a year. :confused:

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
Glad it seems to help. Please keep us
updated on Joie's progress with the shirt.
Moose has issues with storms to so I am
wondering if it will help him to.

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Oh Alan I am so glad it helped Joie. I never knew there was such a thing. I never knew there was such a thing.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was skeptical, but it is not the same as just a tight sweater ( which I tried ).

It's more comfortable ( I'd have to assume) and the compression is very specific around him.

When I took it off he shook himself off and was ready to play, and he's usually a bit timid after the storm as well.

No rain in the forecast, but that will change soon enough !

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
So glad that worked and you posted about it. I've been debating buying one for Mia. She's petrified of the vacuum cleaner and just skitish by nature. (She doesn't like walking on ceramic tile either.) I know they are 100% money back guaranteed so that's good. I still just hate to shell out $36 for one.
Thanks again and am so happy this worked for Joie!

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
So glad it helped him. My MIL wants to get one for her shitzu but wondered if it would really help. She's convinced that Maddie will die from fear of thunder. I try to tell her otherwise, but she doesn't listen. She does not help her by playing into her fears so much..sigh, what can you do though.

They are pricey but well worth it if it works. Thanks for posting the review.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
So glad it helped Joie, poor soul. If either of mine were nervous and uncomfortable I would for sure have one. We have storms on a daily basis during the summer but luckily my two are not phased one bit.
Yay for Joie!

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The price is off-putting, and I was certainly skeptical.

But they will refund your money for 45 days.
If your dog is more than mildy upset by storms or other things, and it works, it's not expensive.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Had a storm come in around 4:00 am - those are usually the worst for Joie.
He gets up and won't go to sleep, paces around, won't hold still.

Put the thundershirt on him and he crawled under the blankets and went straight to sleep through the storm. If he wasn't asleep, he wasn't stirring.

I'd say that was the real test.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
That's awesome Alan. I will def. pass on the review to my MIL. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
That's so wonderful, both for him and you. I think I will be getting one for Delilah. Thanks for posting that it really works for Joie.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I'm so glad it's working so well for Joie, Alan! That's fantastic. As you know, it worked well for Roo too. For all of you considering it, definitely give it a try! :)

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
We're glad to hear the thundershirt is working for Joie.

Lina is terrified of thunderstorms - trembling, shaking, breathing heavily, pacing and will not calm down. She needs to be held during the storms or she will hide somewhere in our house (under the bed, in the closet, squished between sofa cushions). :( We're thinking of getting a thundershirt for Lina if it works.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That is exactly Joie's behavior - pacing and trembling and panting.
Even holding him didn't calm him down, which is why I was reluctant to try the thunder shirt.

He's still not happy that it's storming, but the difference has been night and day.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts