Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I havn't seen ANY posts on here(i looked as far as i could, but I got lethargic) about litter(dog litter of course) training your dog. The woman I'm getting my chibaby from litter box trains all her dogs, and it seems to work REALLY well. It didn't smell, and it seemed to work really well for her, but what are your inputs on that??

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
i've read in both my chi books that it can be done but they don't elaborrate. i'm curious to see what these wonderful gals here have to say about it. you can even ask the breeder how she does it too. me personally won't do it. i hated cleaning our cat boxes. i'd much rather wee wee pad train and outside train. picking up a dirty wee wee pad is better than sifting a litter box.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you mean "they don't elabborate"?

and if you're thinking its like, cat litter? its not, its actually pellets and I don't think there is really any "sifting" to it, just cleaning it out when it gets dirty.

I don't really want to outdoor train unless i can supervise her EVERY TIME because i live about 40/50 miles from the coast, and seagulls come out here every once and awhile, and I don't want a seagull to drop down and pick her up.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
they don't elaborrate meaning they don't go into detail about how to go about doing it....

i know it's not like cat litter but you still gotta get the feces out of there and when it's wet from urine you still have to get it out... i'd rather just fold up the wee wee pad and toss it out like a diaper. but that's just my preference.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ah, thank you.

I kind of want to use puppy pads....but can you use those all the way up to when they're an adult? I know you can litter box, but Idk about the pads, thank you though :]

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
we use them at my vet's office for older dogs who can't hold their bladders (2 are very big dog's with very big bladders!) and you will be surprised how much these wee wee pads can soak up! and if you use them from the start they will always know that is where to do their business no matter how old they get. well unless they are like my muphin who has the canine equivalent to Alzheimer's :( poor old girl. then they kinda forget where they are supposed to go.. but that isn't until waaaay down the road!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well I'll talk to the breeder, see what she says. I'lll keep pee pads in mind though :D

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
let me know what the breeder says. i'm curious about it. i remember seeing an ad for the toilet train your cat book. lol. i'd love to meet someone who did that!

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
There are people here that have litter trained. Not me though.
I have 4 cats here and I'm afraid the cats would use the dog litter box and then then dogs will eat the cat poop, yuch!

But yes you can use potty pads when they are adults.
I have an x-pen set up in my kitchen lined with potty pads. I usually take the girls out when it's warm enough, but we've had alot of very cold temps this winter.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I have three adult Chi's who potty outside and also on Pee-pads. The pads are the greatest! I put down an old towel with two pads on top. I always let them outside in the morning to pee and poop. If it is not to cold. Then they use the pads during the day, if I'm not at home. I put the pads in our office in the corner. No problem! I'm like Ya'll, to lazy to mess with alitter-box. :wink: :oops:

sandra

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
one more thing Ya'll......you can fold up a pad and take it with you! How great is that?? My three have a "Scooby Doo Bag" :lol: I always stick a pad in the bag when we go "bye bye"!! :wink:

"GEEZ"....I scare myself sometimes!! :lol:

sandra

·
Registered
47 Posts
When I got Jasmine, they told me to use PEE PADS IN the litter box. That is what I have been doing. My Jasmine seems pretty good about it(5 months old) and has never been outside except to go to the vet, but the new puppy, has no clue what to do on the pee pad. She will go on the newpapers that are on the floor around the box (for when Jasmine misses or walks off while pooing). So now I am going to put newpapers on top of the pee pad, since newspapers are not absorbent. I am hoping to keep the new puppy going in the litter box because I do not have a fenced yard and litter box training works well for us. I pick up the poop and flush it right away and the pee really does not smell bad. I keep mine in my laundry room. I did have a second one in my office where I kept Jasmine during the day with me while I worked and will probably do that again for a few months with the new puppy.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
That is exactly what I read on a website a while back. They said to put the pee pad between layers of news paper. I think I might do that, too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Rosie is partially trained to use the litter box - which means she uses it only when she's in the crate. She still hasn't got the connection that when she's running around the house free that she should run back into the crate and use the litter box. <sigh>

I went to this website which I found really helpful.

http://www.kturby.com/litter/litter.htm

I think the lady who wrote the article owns italian greyhounds (the miniature greyhounds which are almost adorable as chi's!)

I use Yesterday News litter (think it's a Purina product) which I pick up at Wal-Mart (convenience). It is recycled newspaper pellets. I read somewhere that the clump-able cat litter could be dangerous if the dog ingests it as it would clump in their digestive system and sometimes has to be surgically removed. Ack!

We also have a 1.5 year old cat (Scooch) that has her own litter box which is in a separate area from Rosie's. She did try to use it once, but we just loudly sound "No Scooch" and she ran away and hasn't tried it again.

The litter is also different for the animals Rosie open litter box with pellets and Scoochie's closed litter box with clumping litter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi I'm new here, but have litter trained both my chi's. It is the greatest and since I live in Ohio the best in the winter time. Both my dogs Killer (girl 1 yr) and Ninja (boy 6 mos) use a litter box with clumping cat litter. I live in a town house with 3 floors and have a litter box on each floor for them - it took less than 1 week to train them. Killer also will go outside if we are walking but Ninja will only use his litter box. This is an amazing way to train your dog especially if you like traveling with them as litter boxes are easy to take with you and you don't have to worry about getting them outside to potty and their safety. Keeping my little ones safe and warm is much easier for me with the litter boxes and I highly recommend it. Let me know if you have any specific questions I'll be happy to help you if your interested in this.

Kim

·
Registered
12 Posts
Kim - do you let your chi's have the run of the house?

The lady we bought Rosie from said she was pee pad trained - but when we got her home and let her have run of the kitchen, she just tore up the pee pads and made messes everywhere. Rosie was 6 months old when we got her.

I searched the internet and it said it was easiest to litter train them in a crate. We bought a crate and put the litter in it and she uses it probably 95% of the time (sometimes has accidents on her blanket).

When we are in the house (we both work all day). Rosie will come up to me and give me the "I have to pee" face at which point I let her outside. If she can't find me or I didn't pick up that she had to pee, she will go wherever she is at the time instead of going to her crate and using the litter box.

Any suggestions at all would be helpful!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Lulu, yes I let them have the run of the house - they are really cute running up and down all my stairs! During the day I keep them in my bedroom with the door closed, they both have crates but only Ninja sleeps in his. Ninja wasn't allowed run of the bedroom until I was sure he wouldn't cause any mischeif (trial & error). It is easiest to train them with the crate, I agree with what you have read. But if you place litter boxes throughout the house it is easier for you to place them in the litter box when you notice they have to go. You should see Ninja run for his litter box when he realizes he has to potty - it is almost like a light goes off in his head - whoosh I have to pee where is my litter box?

This way was just easier for me and since mine seem to like to be where ever I am it is more convenient for them to have a place close by. I saw somewhere on this board that kitty litter wasn't recommended for dogs (my vet did recommend using kitty litter) so you may want to be careful regarding that. But my Killer used to hide her treats in the kitty litter (I use the clumping kind so her treats came out without litter stuck to them) and Ninja would find them in there and for the longest time I think he thought treats came from the litter box!

Some may disagree with me but I think you should decide whether you want to use the litter box or have Rosie go outside. It is my understanding that we need to be consistent so as not to confuse our pets and they will get used to anything as long as we are consistent (I am by no means an expert) so I would probably choose either the litter box or outside for Rosie's means of releiving herself. The beauty of the litter box is that it is always there even when you can't be. It may help Rosie if when she gives you that look you place her in the litter box. Depending on Rosie's size it may be possible for you to place litter boxes in several rooms to make it easier on you and teach Rosie that the litter box is the appropriate place for her to potty.

You can also keep her in the cage except when you want to play with her or spend time with her which reinforces the litter box use - and generally dogs get on a schedule (mine potty 30 minutes after they eat) that may help you to. Did I answer your question good enough? If not let me know and good luch with Rosie - I hope she brings you as much joy as mine have brought me.

Kim

·
Registered
12 Posts
Kim

Thanks so much! I didn't even think of how it may be confusing for her if we are litter and outside training at the same time!

It also makes lots of sense to start moving the litter box around with me so that there is a constant reminder of where she should be going! I would use multiple litter boxes, but I think the cat would start using them which Rosie wouldn't be too happy about!

That is HILARIOUS about Killer hiding the treats and Ninja finding them! Just like digging for gold :lol: ! I can't even imagine how adorable it must be to have 2 chi's running around!

I am positively thrilled to have Rosie in our lives!! She is so good with our two little girls (2 & 4). I was so worried about the compatibility with the kids when I first got her since everywhere I read said that chi's were horrible with kids. She is so good with the girls - I'm so glad I didn't listen!

It's funny how much of a bond the Scooch (the cat) and Rosie have made! We always take Rosie wherever we go. Last week-end we went away and when we returned the two of them tore around the house and then fell asleep together! It was so cute!

It would be nice to add another chi though..........!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Lulu,

Scooch & Rosie sound adorable - bet your girls are too! Please let me know how Rosie is doing with the litter box training. I also have a cat he stays far away from Killer & Ninja - I can't imagine finding them asleep together that must be very touching. My cat doesn't use the dogs litter boxes (use the exact same kind of litter in both) won't go near the dogs. Since your Rosie and Scooch are close you are probably right about the cat using the dogs litter box.

Does Rosie hide things? Killer is like a little ferret. I have a four post bed that is relatively high and she has a space under it (between all my clothes storage boxes) that is about 3 ft. by 3 ft. and you should see the loot she has under there, the boys socks, a hackiesack (SP?), an old plastic container, etc. Whenever I can't find something I go and look under my bed - she has things under there from every room in the house even found one of my rings under there once! It always makes me giggle when I decide to see what she has under there since you never know what you will find and of course the boys never miss their socks!

Keep me updated on your progress and let me know if you ever get another Chi.

Kim

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have all 8 of my chis litter box trained...when I first heard of litter box training, I thought "whatever," but it really does work.
I work during the day and it really helps when I cannot get home and let them out for a mid-day break.
I have tried all different types of litter, from the dog litter pellets by Purina which are way to expensive to kitty litter-the clay type was too messy, since the puppies tend to want to dig in it-to the pelletized kitty litter. Some of the best that I have tried are the pelletized pine, like Feline Pine to products made from alfalfa-these seem to control the odor quite well.
I have litter boxes in the x-pens for my chis-when I have a litter of puppies of course mom has a litter box and the puppies train themselves to use the box as soon as they are able to climb into the box. I have had very good luck training my chis to use the boxes. I do scoop a couple of times a day and I change the litter about every 10 days depending on how many chis are using the box.
I am very pleased with the use of the litter boxes.
There is very good information on the Purina website about using and training to use a litter box.
Hope this is helpful.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts