Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I really missed this forum and apologize that haven't been here in so long. Life is crazy..haha

So I came here with a very important question and I hope you guys, who have Chi's for many years and have not one but few (boy and girls), could help me to decide what sex of our next baby pup we should pick for our little family.

If there is a thread with the same topic please forgive me, I've looked through the search and couldn't find it.

We are wife and a hubby and a puppy Cracker Jack. Jack is a year an a half and he is our best friend and we love him. But we moved couple of month ago from my husband's parent's house where Jack was getting attention everyday even we weren't there..now he is sometimes alone as I started my job for few days a week and I'm sure our pup is pretty sad alone. We really want to get him a friend of his size lol and just somebody to play and cuddle with when we are gone. We already have decide 100% that we will a get another Chi after going back and forth about cat or another breed. But Chihuahua's stole our hearts forever, besides we live in a small apartment so for a bigger dog (I'm in love with Italian Greyhound) there is just not enough space.

And now there is dilemma what puppy we should get a boy or a girl?! I've read long time about something about how boys are stay playful all their life and how girls are harder to train and they are very independent and sometimes mean. But I never believe 100% to what I'm reading online unless I had to experience it by myself or experienced people like you told me. So I'm here asking real people for some true facts

I personally want a girl because I know they are smaller and they are girls..like me :) and I've had a perfect cat all my life she was a she..I kinda believe in that girl bonding, Plus Jack immediately picked my husband and now they are best friends...too cute makes me sick lol SO now I need to find a best girl friend for myself and somebody cute and adorable and small so I can give my care and love to and make my husband sick too from how cute we are :D
But I wouldn't mind to get another boy too if they are really that playful and hipper and lovable like Jack ;)

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
This is a loaded question and you will get varying opinions.
I've been around both female and male dogs of varying breeds over the years.
My personal preference is male dogs, the females I have taken care of in the past seemed to have pretty predictive traits.

A bit aloof, less needy, less cuddly and they almost always seem to prefer the male human in the house! :lol:
I did rescue/foster work for a rescue in the 90's so we had several different types of breeds in and out of the house.

My pet dogs have always been male, I find them glued to me and just happy to please.
Now with horses? I've always preferred a mare.. ha ha

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Well i have 2 female chis and a male.
The females are easier than my male. lol
The girls are cuddly especially Daisy, she is my shadow
Dillon is very needy and cuddly, and vocal about it. haha!!
I think it depends on the dog really.
I also share 3 huskies with my partner 2 males and a female, the 2 males growl a lot at each other, and can be quite rough, but that could be cause they havent been neutered, which i will be changing once i have them back living with me. lol

I think if i had one male chi i would prob get a female to balance things out, but that's just me. x

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Well, I've had the opposite result than Terri with my two. Tango, my male, much easier than Jazz, my female. More cuddly, easier to train, less hyper etc.

One thing you mentioned is a female being smaller than a male. That's no necessarily the case and has nothing to do with gender, and everything to do with breeding. Again, comparing my two, Tango is 3 1/2 lbs, Jazz is a bit over 4 lbs. She's heavier and slightly bigger per her measurements versus Tango's.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
I have 2 females and a male. My male is more cuddly and attached to my hip. My Females are Both independent and cuddly they don't really bother with each other much my male and 1 female are more bonded even tho they live in separate homes they cuddle, kiss, play etc with each other.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have three girls and all three are little love bugs. My youngest loves hubby the most but still loves everyone else too.My oldest loves me the most. All three are great with my 14yr old son. I personally think it depends on the dog. Good luck! You will be happy with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Long ago I had a breeder friend tell me that boys always make the best pets. I thought she was crazy. ;) I had two girls and they were great. They were good friends and great family pets.

Well, I didn't know what I was missing! We got Brody, a boy, and he has been the best boy EVER. He is so playful and fun. He doesn't have a bunch of moods (like my girls did), he's always happy. He wants to be with us, whether playing, taking a walk, or just hanging out on our lap. He is soooooooooo people oriented.

Looking back, I realize that my girls were quite aloof and independent. I just didn't have anything to compare them to.

Never discount the boys. They are GREAT! I always tell people to get them neutered at about 6 months and then you won't deal with the boy dog stuff like marking. Have known some dominant females that were more markers than the boys!

It all comes down to the individual dog of course. But I would ALWAYS want to have a boy after having Brody. :)

·
Premium Member
5,271 Posts
When the time comes to get another dog, I am picking a boy... I have always had boy CHIs and wouldnt' have it any other way :)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
If your male is submissive...you could really go either way. If he's got a more dominant personality I'd go for a young male pup or a submissive older male dog. In my experience females are more bossy & complex, have more of an opinion & is more likely to have a snobby attitude toward the other dog(s). Granted, this is only my experience & different females have different "severities" of these traits but I've always found a neutered male more "go with the flow" & lovey in general.

If you had a female already I'd say go for a male...but males can accept a female quite easily as well as a male. And as long as they both are neutered . Intact males will be more apt to have aggressive tendencies & create issues with marking if they aren't already. And if they are it will get worse because they'll constantly be overmarking each other. This even happened before Marley was neutered & one of my other males who had never marked before & was neutered early.

Anyway, good luck & welcome back to the forum!! :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all so much! I guess it is really depends on the dog. We will see. I can't wait to get another one and hopefully when we'll go to pick him/her up I will feel it in my heart which one I want :) We still have time, I'm thinking after holidays when money will get back in our accounts LOL so I still have time to think.
Thanks!

xx

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hi! My two cents: I have always had female dogs, my who life. Never a male, and they were all great dogs. When we decided to get a chi, I told the breeder that I wanted one that would be super bonded to ME. I wanted it to be MY dog. Well, she steered me towards Chipotle, and I was not real sure since he was a boy. But boy was she right! She said that male chi's tend to be like male lions... They let the girls do all the work! In my house, that's how it's been, too! I have three female pugs and Chip. The girls run the house, and Chip sits on a lap and watches. When the doorbell rings, the girls go answer it, and Chip waits to see if he's needed. He is super bonded to me, but also loves my husband and daughter. He is the perfect dog in my opinion!

I think when you talk to the breeder, tell him or her what you are looking for, and I think that a good breeder will know her puppies and their budding personalities and will be able to steer you towards the right pup.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Girls I will always have girls I love them my two are so different but equally loving I always have one or both on top if me they are like sisters without the squabbles!! Follow me around like shadows toilet trained so quickly both are very playful

·
Registered
447 Posts
It's so neat reading about the differences in everyone's dogs!! Well, I have to say....if it were me, I would get a girl since you already have a boy. I got my male first and he is soooo attached to me!! He loves me more than ANYONE! He's very snuggly and a very good boy. I never thought another dog could be so perfect or love me like he does. Well, I went back to our breeder and told her I wanted a female from Bruiser's mom & dad....exact same parents just different litter. Along comes Paris and I have to say, SHE IS EXACTLY LIKE HER BROTHER, BRUISER!!! My two are COMPLETELY attached to me. They are my babies!!!! She is very, very clingy to me, not dominant at all, very easy to housetrain, both just perfect dogs!!! Maybe I got lucky but I don't see the female traits described here in my Paris at all. I feel so blessed everyday to have my chis....they are perfect. Good luck and I know you must be so excited!! I can't imagine my life without my little boy and little girl. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I've read all the comments but before that I was going to say this is going to be a very different up in the air answers because each dog is so different! lol I have only had female Chis, I prefer girls over boys. My two just LOVE each other to death! Never have the faught (besides playing) they can eat in the same room without fighting, they snuggle, play, give each other kisses while sleeping in a ball together. I want a boy someday but I'm just more into girl Chis. My cousins boy Chi was much harder to train and this and that but then again every Chi is different....Good luck in whatever you choose! I'm sure they will be very happy together!

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Girls all the way for me. I have three and they all follow me around like a mother duck lol!!! I can't sit down without them all piling up on my lap for attention. I would say Willow is my gentle love bug. She wants only to make me happy. She is the easiest going thing in the whole world. Nothing phases her lol!! Fern is a love bug as well, she loves to sleep up around my neck, and goes with the flow whatever it is:) Ivy is my licker lol!!! She would lick the skin off me If I let her. If you don't pick her up the second you are in a chair she will let you know with her doe eyes. They all get along great together, plus nothing more fun than girling them up with pretty things :) for myself boys just aren't for me, the whole marking thing turns me off. I couldn't have a dog lifting their leg on any furniture of mine. The girls were very easy to potty train for me. I've been around to many neutered dogs that still lift, so not taking the chance.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
wow everyone seems to say something completely different from each other here, so it goes back to the saying
each dog is different!!
I think it comes down to personal choice!
I my self would ONLY ever own girls :)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
this has been an interesting thread, I always thought girls but now I would consider a male. that's one of the great things about this forum, so many people with so much insight.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
oh boy! it is going to be hard. now i heard so many great things about boys and girls that i dont really know lol i guess when i'll see the pups and i will just fell in love with one..that's when i'll make up my mind. thank you ALL for such a great opinions! And all of your pups are just adorable. I want to give them all kisses, Jack says woof! woof! :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts