Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey my dad is buying me a chihuahua for x-mas due to i really want one but i dont know if he will get a boy or a girl either way i dont mind ill be happy with both but in personality ways and stuff is there any real difference between them? another guestion i have is when im looking for a chihuahua i notice breeders add about 50 dollars if its a girl why's that? k thanks

K*

·
Registered
563 Posts
if you plan on getting your pup fixed there really is no difference.... if keeping them intact a male will be harder to train as he will try and mark all the time...females will have a period during every heat, which i would prefer not to deal with, lol! its better to get them fixed anyways!!
there is a myth is that boys take to girls of the house and girls take to guys of the house.... but it is just that, a myth :) i would say visit the pups and pick which one stands out to you :D
as for charging more for a female most good breeders shouldn't.... if you're getting a breeding chihuahua a female can be more sometimes though...
akc should have a listing of breeders and there may be one close to you,
hope that helps :) good luck

·
Registered
680 Posts
Yea, I agree. I would have to see them to see which one I like better and which one likes me better. Also, if you get a female get her FIXED unless you plan on breeding her. I was told and told to get mine fixed, but I didnt. I thought she would never be around a male long enough to get pregnant. My mother n law has a male....they kept her while we went on vacation and bam! We have 2 pups running around...haha We are keeping one of the pups...hes a male. I cant really tell you how a male is around the house. I have never had one until now. I do know they run around hiking their leg everywhere. Good luck..just know whatever chi you get will be great :) I love mine so much!

·
Registered
239 Posts
I keep hearing so much different opinions on that subject.

Many people say that boys are more cuddly, needle, and loyal, while girls are more bitchy and independent.
(i think i’ve read it around 300 times) :)

I heard it’s also from breeders that i respecting they opinions a lot.

But i don’t know...in my case it’s not true...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Please keep in mind that usually the dominant puppy will come to you.
I have seen a lot of litters, and always the one that is more energetic, and dominant come to me first.
If you want a calm, shy , submissive puppy, don’t take the one that will come to you .

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
when looking for a puppy you want a happy middle ground...
the one who imediatly runs over is the dominant one, that dogs gonna be a little more independant and make you work for their attention...the one sitting in a corner cowering is the shy pup, hes going to make you work for socilization and will be more prone to timidness...
ideally you want a puppy thats a nice happy medium, a puppy that when you call it over looks first then when seeing its safe toodles over, you want to hold the puppy in the crook of your arm on its back, it should struggle for a second then relax in submission, you DONT want a puppy that avoids eye contact, shakes and looks terrified, hes going to be shy, and unless your looking for a puppy to challnenge you you dont want the puppy that spends 5 minutes struggling to get free and never relaxes.

as for getting a male or a female. in all honesty, get your puppy spayed or neutered and it wont matter...
having an intact dog in the house is not for a new owner, theres LOTS of things that ca go wrong, not to mention males marking and females getting pms (yes they DO!)
spay or neuter and either will be a wonderfull pet who will be happy to sit with you and cuddle and play.
visit the litter with your father, and pick the one you fall in love with.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
foxywench said:
as for getting a male or a female. in all honesty, get your puppy spayed or neutered and it wont matter...
having an intact dog in the house is not for a new owner, theres LOTS of things that ca go wrong, not to mention males marking and females getting pms (yes they DO!)
spay or neuter and either will be a wonderfull pet who will be happy to sit with you and cuddle and play.
visit the litter with your father, and pick the one you fall in love with.
Well said Foxy! I have males and my sis has females and they have equally nice personalities. Ditto, ditto, ditto what everyone's said about getting them fixed.

·
Registered
239 Posts
and unless your looking for a puppy to challnenge you you dont want the puppy that spends 5 minutes struggling to get free and never relaxes
100% agree
I can say from my own experience, that my yorkie did the same when I did this test, and he is over dominate, and it’s not fun for a pet.

the one sitting in a corner cowering is the shy pup, hes going to make you work for socilization and will be more prone to timidness...
I am defiantly agree with you that dominant pupps are more independents and you need to work for they attention, but what about shy pupps?
They want attention all the time? They are more needle or maybe the opposite?

I just carious, because my yorkie is over dominant, and my chi will be the shy pup in the litter...hehe, i don't have anything in the middle.

·
Registered
706 Posts
if you don't have a preference just go see what pup you like the best. personality, looks etc. personally you couldn't give me a male dog no matter what the breed or how cute. i met so many males when i was younger that were so badly trained they left a very bad taste in my mouth and i am not able to get past that. even though i tell myself it is stupid...it is definitely ingrained...

·
Registered
436 Posts
I have a male. I didn't like males when I was younger mostly cuz my mom forbid one be in the house lol (animals of course haha). But now I have my baby boy. I think with any animal, you have to train it properly or it will act out just like a kid would. I've seen badly trained dogs, both male and female. Yes, my boy is a heathan, but so are my other dogs that are females. It depends on the dog's human I believe. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts