Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my name is sandy and on saturday i picked up an 8mo old chocolate blue/lavender chi puppy. i have been scouring this forum on information of all sorts and it has been so helpful for a new chi owner like me.

i got shelly from a rescue shelter and saturday was her first day on a leash and into the real world. the dog that the rescuers described to me about her, is nothing like the way she acts, but im thinking she could just be getting used to her new life.

she is very tiny and very shy. i have been working on sit with her for the past few days but she hasn't been very cooperative. i was wondering if any one coud give me advice on how i can help bring her out of her shell(y). any advice is very helpful to me! thanks!

-sandy & shelly

·
Registered
6 Posts
Lots of love, keep trying with her training if you give in she will never learn. You should give her a 'retreat' that she can go into and you will leave her along but the rest of the time keep reminding her and watching to make sure she stays in check. Be soothing too, she's a baby and hasn't had the best start. I think you should also check out youtube. I love kikopup's tutorials, but you can search for methods of training that help you put.
~Rhea

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
She needs time to settle with you,everything is strange for her,i'm sure with lots of TLC she will start to respond.Welcome to CP

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Welcome!
I know that with puppies a bit older that it takes them more time to adjust than it would with a weeks old puppy so time and lots of love will help!
We LOVE pictures here so post some as soon as you can!

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi and welcome to you and your little shelly she is so pretty im trying to see the little pic in your avator her color is amazing how much does she weigh get her some chew toys and they love soft blankets that they know are theres good luck take things slow she 'll trust you the more time goes by shes just scared and unsure in time shell be your best friend and little shawdow

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Hi and welcome to the board! :) I commend you on rescuing her. A lot of time and patience is key :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the welcomes!
i dont have an official number, but shelly is about 2lbs. she has been adjusting to the other dogs well. the big dogs come over and sniff her like crazy and she just stands there and lets them have their ways with her! hehe its kind of cute.

although she is a rescue puppy, she has not had too difficult of a life. the rescue where i got her from saved her mom from a high-kill shelter in la without knowing she was pregnant. there were 2 puppies in the litter, shelly one, and the other was too small to make it. shelly has been at the rescue ever since she was born, and until saturday had never been out into the real world.

i bought a crate, and i'm trying to get her used to it. she really hates it a lot, when i put her inside she just starts screaming bloody murder. anyone else's chi out there crate trained?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
thanks for all the welcomes!
i dont have an official number, but shelly is about 2lbs. she has been adjusting to the other dogs well. the big dogs come over and sniff her like crazy and she just stands there and lets them have their ways with her! hehe its kind of cute.

although she is a rescue puppy, she has not had too difficult of a life. the rescue where i got her from saved her mom from a high-kill shelter in la without knowing she was pregnant. there were 2 puppies in the litter, shelly one, and the other was too small to make it. shelly has been at the rescue ever since she was born, and until saturday had never been out into the real world.

i bought a crate, and i'm trying to get her used to it. she really hates it a lot, when i put her inside she just starts screaming bloody murder. anyone else's chi out there crate trained?
My guess would be that she doesn't like the crate because she's lived in a cage her entire life. I think she just needs a couple weeks to adjust before a lot of demands are put on her. I recommend putting the crate down where she can get in it of her own accord, put a nice blanket and maybe a toy in there, then leave the door open so she can get in/out if she chooses to. I definitely wouldn't put her in there and close the door for quite a while.

Congratulations and welcome, Sandy!

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Welcome to the forum! You'll love it here and you'll find a ton of helpful information. Things you would never even think of!

I'm so happy you rescued this baby! From what I can see in your avatar, she's so beautiful! As far as bringing her out of her shell... I agree with the others. She needs time to adjust and get used to you and her new environment. Just keep showering her with lots of TLC and I'm sure her awesome and fun little personality will start showing through in no time! :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Welcome to CP Sandy and Shelly :)

I agree, just give her time to adjust to her surrounding's, her new home, her new mum and her new life!! She has had a rough start to life so just take your time with her and i'm sure she will settle in soon enough :D

Congrat's on your new fur baby and good on you for rescuing her!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts