Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Newbie here….My Mother’s friend gave me her Chihuahua because she is having health problem and no longer able to take care of him. His name is Chi Chi. I think he is 8 month old. I have a couple of questions. First, I don’t know what this woman was thinking but, she was feeding him Fit and Trim dog food (gasp). The dog is really skinny. You can kind of see his spine and his hind legs are thin. (I don’t think this normal). I’m a first time small dog owner, but my family has always had large dogs: German Shepard’s, Saint Bernard’s and Golden Retrievers. So this is new, but exciting. I went out and bought Royal Canine for Chihuahua. Should this be okay? Or should I get the puppy version? We also have a Vet appt next week for fix and check-up

I instantly fell in Love with Chi Chi and my husband and 8 year old son really love him too. He is sort of house trained. First, I’ve been allowing him to free feed because of his weight. Hopefully, I can get him on a regular feeding schedule with the new brand. This dog uses the bathroom a lot. I don’t know if it deals with the food since he probably isn’t full or he still kind of a puppy. I take the dog out early in the morning, when I get home from work and at night. Chi Chi is crated at night. I take him out for a early morning walk to do his thing and then feed him and back in the crate. My husband works graveyard, so as soon as he gets home in the morning he takes him out of the crate and outside to use the bathroom and takes him out again when he takes my son to school. They then sleep throughout the day. There have been a couple of accidents, so I went out and got a pee pad, because we don’t want to put Chi Chi back in the crate during the day. If these accidents continue should we put him in the crate during the day for a few hours during my husband sleeping period? Or since we regulary take him out for bathroom breaks things will be fine after a month of adjustment.

Thanks for your help :D

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
Hi and welcome and thanks for rescuing this little guy

he still could do with been on puppy food until he is one due to him been so skinny.

I wouldnt crate him in the night and for the day aswell - try the pads and see how he gets on they are intelligent little dogs and he will soon get used to your routiene - plus he is still a puppy and will adapt great .

cant wait too see pics of him :wave:

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
In my opinion I think a dog should eat puppy food until they are at least 1 year old. As for accidents after a while he will learn where he is supposed to go but it will take alot of time & patients. I dont think that its a bad thing to keep your dog crated during the night especially if you dont know that much about them some dogs like to chew so you could wake up with ahole in your blanket. Im not real sure about crating him while your husband is sleeping I guess it really depends on your work hours you dont want the dog to feel as though he lives only in the crate he needs to feel like a member of the family so make sure hes played with alot, which Im sure you already do. Good Luck & keep us posted.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
welcome to the forum... I am glad you could give Chi Chi a good home..

Is there a room that you could block off with a kid gate for him to be in while you are not watching him and are potty training... sometimes that helps..

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Hi and welcome! If you live close to a WalMart, they sell a great wire "Kenne". It is larger than a crate. I used them with all three of my Chi's and they worked great. It is big enugh for a bed, food and water and a pee-pad. Sounds like he is doing great on his "housebreaking" routine.
cant wait to see pictures!!

sandra

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys for your support and welcoming I will post pictures of Chi Chi soon. First, Chi Chi loves Royal Canin for Chi. He devoured it and didn't even eat his old dog food. Chi Chi really has taken a liking to my husband (i'm jealous) j/k. So we will continue to crate him at night until we get used to his habits and let him out during the day. My husband said Chi Chi slepts with him either on the couch or in our bed. I went ahead and put down some pee pads in the most frequent areas. Chi Chi did spray my hall way post, but I think that will change after he is netured...Right? Luckly, I stocked up on Pet Enzymes. Thanks guys again....I'm really glad there is site out here for support and fellowship :)

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Having him neutered should help with the "marking". You can also use the "belly bands" for male dogs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
playpen

Hi
I just got a chihuahua also. I have been using my son's old pack n play. I have a peepee pad on one side a bed on the other. It gives him a good amount of space.He has not had an accident yet. When I stop playing with him or holding him I put him in it and he goes right to the pee pee pad.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts