Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately Leila has been such a brat, peeing on the floor.
I take her out very frequently and she has a potty pad in her pen. But lately she just squats and pees in the kitchen somewhat near the door, even though her potty pad is just steps away.
I am getting verrry sick of cleaning this up. ANd of course when i catch her I yell at her and then she walks away from me while peeing..stretching the pee mess out for several feet :mad:
What can i do????

·
Registered
141 Posts
I wouldn't shout at her for doing it as she may start peeing somewhere in secret.
I would go a few steps back and treat her as you did while originally potty training her. Going back to scheduled times to pee, LOTS of applause and reward when she gets it right, and ignoring the mistakes.
I hope this helps Hun, congrats on your new baby he is gorgeous xxx

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
My 8 month old boy started peeing in the wrong place when we brought Penny home. I just went back to regular potty training and ignored it, cleaned it up, and rewarded him for going on the pad. I think he was doing it for attention because he is used to being the only one in the house. Thankfully he has stopped doing it. Hopefully you find a solution! Good Luck :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
If she's having any other symptoms of a UTI (such as an increase in drinking), I'd take her to the vet.

Otherwise, just re-train her. It may help to keep her confined to a much smaller space (if she has the run of the house currently) where there are several puppy pads and not a whole lot of room to pee anywhere BUT on a pad.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
They can either give you a little baggie to try to gather urine in, or they can slip in a pediatric size catheter to get a specimen.

If she's doing it for attention, it may worsen with the new arrival...

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Yelling isn't the best idea. If you are able to make some loud noise (like a clap for example) sometimes that will stop the dog mid-pee, and he can be taken outside or put on the pee-pad to finish so that his attention is re-directed to where he's supposed to go.
Other than that, I second what everyone else has said, time to re-train.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I would try a re-train if it isnt health related especially with a new arrival on the way you want her to be a good influence. Potty training one is hard never mind two.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Yelling isn't the best idea. If you are able to make some loud noise (like a clap for example) sometimes that will stop the dog mid-pee, and he can be taken outside or put on the pee-pad to finish so that his attention is re-directed to where he's supposed to go.
Other than that, I second what everyone else has said, time to re-train.
I agree with this... Is she spayed??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts