Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I joined last night after getting a two year old chi. I discovered today that he is very food aggressive, I was wondering if there are any tips on breaking this. He's fine with me touching him while he eats and his food but if any of my other pets come into his section he turns on them. Thankfully my other two dogs just look at him and walk away and the cats just don't go near him.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Administrator
9,991 Posts
This is one of the hardest things to break esp if the animal was a stray and starved. I would talk to a few trainers in your area and see if someone can help you. I can give you a few tip but with something like this it is best to get professional help.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
This is normal behavior in dogs. He is simply telling the other dogs, "LEAVE ME ALONE, I'M EATING". I'd not call this food aggression. I wouldn't leave the other dogs go near his food. The other option is to feed him in a crate or pen so the other dogs CANT get near him!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll probably start feeding him in a crate because there are three dogs, three food bowls, and three water bowls. He guards all three food bowls and tries to chase them down if they go near any of them. The other dogs (1 pug and 1 boxer mix) are very good and don't snap back or anything thankfully because he's 3 pounds lol. Also my other dogs have no problem eating right next to each other or even out of the same bowl even though all three bowls are separated. I have faith that he'll get better, my house is still a new environment for him so I believe he's still trying to find his place. Other then that issue he's doing great. The first night he did mark a couple things in the house but hasn't done it since.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 4 of 4 Posts