Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oakley has been breathing very fast and very shallow for the past 30 minutes. We can't get ahold of the e-vet, or anyone. She's not panting. I don't have a clue what's going on/wrong.

The only thing I've done different is I gave her the metacam on an empty stomach because she wouldn't eat. Since then I've gotten her to eat about 1/2 a jar of turkey baby food and that's it...

I am really worried. Her knee is not looking that great, she's in pain, and I don't know what to do.

...I don't know if I can deal with a whole 4-6 weeks of this. Every day it's been SOMETHING... :-/ I just want her to be OK and healthy again :-/

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Do you have a thermometer? Can you take her temperature? Should be between 99-102.5 F Sometimes if they are a little feverish they will breath fast/shallow, they can also do that if they are in pain. Are you icing/applying heat yet?

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have a thermometer :-/ The soonest I could get one is 1/2 an hour...

She started yelping and yelping when I put her out to potty so I hope she didn't break something or goodness knows what, then she peed and seemed fine and was bearing weight on it. I'm so freaked out... :-/

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
They will breathe like that when they are in pain. When Chance had his neuter and Cryptorchid surgery, that's how he acted too. Fast, shallow breathing. It freaked me out!!! He had a lot of complications though, I'm not sure if you were a member when all that happened. But anyway, I would guess it's from her being in pain. The Metacam and other pain meds should keep most of it under control. Maybe the dosage is too low? I’m all for being on the safe side. I would get her to a Vet. That’s just my opinion, though. You know her better than I do, so I’m sure you’ll make the right call. I’m sorry you guys are having to go through all of this. I can imagine you are exhausted, and upset having to see her go through this. I hope you all are able to find out what’s going on, and get her well very soon. Best wishes, Kristi. I know you are worried. Please let us know how things are going. Our thoughts are with you guys.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Yeah, Chance had fever when he did that as well. That could be it, but that would concern me too. I would be worried about infection?

They put Chance on a round of antibiotics.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh no ice/heat, they didn't say anything about doing either. She got at her stitches twice today though once when she got the bandage off and once when she got the cone off and they look slightly red/irritated.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Oh the poor little dear. :( I'm so so sorry. I wish i knew what to tell you, but i have no idea. I guess try the ice, and make sure she doesn't go too long without pain medication..but you already know all that. I will say a prayer for her (and you lol) tonight. Keep us posted!
Too bad the vet can't give you something to knock her out, then she would be too tired to mess with it.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, Chance had fever when he did that as well. That could be it, but that would concern me too. I would be worried about infection?

They put Chance on a round of antibiotics.
Shes been on an antibiotic to hopefully prevent that but who knows...Miles just ran to the store to get a thermometer, we still can't get ahold of the e-vet and if you can't get ahold of them it usually means they aren't there...

Its just weird because she was FINE until 30 or so minutes ago and then this started, and it hasnt stopped.

I gave her some nutrical too...she hasn't been eating well at all. I just don't have a clue whats going on and its scary.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
She probably just irritated things by getting after them. We normally have people ice pack the surgery site for 10-15 minutes 4x a day for the first 72 hours then hot pack 3 times a day for about 2 weeks. That helps with swelling/inflammation/pain. You might want to ask your Vet about it.

This page has instructions similar to what our Orthopedic Vet sends home with people:
www.mobilevetsurgeon.com/images/PatLuxRehab15.pdf

If it is really swollen see if she will let you ice pack it, if it's not swollen I would apply a hot pack that will help ease pain/inflammation either way.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Here is something I found:
Dogs normally breathe 12 to 20 times a minute, while cats usually breathe 20 to 30 times. "Rapid breathing generally means one of two things: Your pet is in pain, or she isn't getting enough oxygen," says A. David Scheele, D.V.M., a veterinarian in private practice in Midland, Texas.

It is not always easy to tell when -- or where -- your pet is hurting, adds Robert L. Rooks, D.V.M., a veterinarian in private practice in Fountain Valley, Calif. Dogs and cats are much more stoic than people are. One reason that they cope with pain by taking rapid breaths rather than crying out may be that their ancestors attacked comrades that showed weakness. Take a few minutes to check your pet for injuries or other problems that might be causing pain.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Low sugars doesn't usually present those kind of symptoms. At first they just seem kinda sluggish, then they will lay around quite a bit. Then they can go into a daze type thing, and will start effecting their equilibrium, and even cause them to fall over, stumble, etc. But it doesn't normally effect their breathing unless they are far past that point. But she wouldn't even be coherent, so I think you are safe there. The Nutri-Cal is good though. It will give her the extra nutrients from not eating much. Even a dime size squirt of honey would be good. If she is on an antibiotic already, then I don't think it's infection, so it has to be pain. I would call first thing in the morning and ask them why the meds aren't working.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
It sounds like she is in pain. That is so frustrating that you can't get the e-vet. Gosh, Kristi, I'm so sorry you guys are going through this. I wish there was something more I could say. :( I hope you are able to find out what's wrong soon. This is too much stress and worry to take. I'll be thinking of you guys. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I would call first thing in the morning and ask them why the meds aren't working.
That's what I would do as well if you're not able to get ahold of the e-vet. It really does seem like she is pain.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I would agree, sounds like she is hurting. Miley was breathing that way when her hernia became strangulated. So sorry, sounds like youre just getting more than you can take. It is so scary and stressful when they arent well, emotionally and physically draining. Hang in there, youll both get through it :)

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Are her gums pink and wet? Pale and sticky are no good.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Stand her up, and grab the skin just behind her neck. Let go of it, it should snap back pretty quickly. If not, she could be dehydrated. Her gums will give you signs to that as well.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I gave her the Buprenex about 20 minutes ago and shes still breathing this way, and she had the metacam a little less than an hour ago as well as her antibiotic...I have tramadol still and am tempted to give her some but feel like that might be too much medicine and I don't know if there are interactions...she's coughing a tiny bit too, I don't have a clue what's going on... :-/ We do live at a high elevation but its not like she's not used to it and should be used to the oxygen levels?

We took her temperature and its normal...

I agree w/ T that it wouldn't be hypoglycemia as I've seen that before but it was the only thing we could think of to do and we figured it wouldn't hurt...she's acting really weird though.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
If she is coughing see if she will let you look in her mouth and see if she has something hung mabe she has one of the pills stuck or something.I now from experience that ice does help.I was watching Nomo's momma and relized she had milk fever so I put her on an ice pack because her belly was burning up.And she layed down on it and you could tell it made her feel better.
See if you can get her to lay on ice pack.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Kristi, don't give her the Tramadol. You don't want to give her too many meds. It could cause more problems than she has now. Just relax, it will be okay. I wish you could get ahold of the ER.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts