Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

This beautiful boy was given to me. His former owner moved abroad due to a family emergency.

I am almost sure he comes from a kennel with pedigree but my friend lost the papers. I do no know if he has a chip.

Can any of the experts here tell me if he meets the breed standards? He is approx 18 months old.

You can see his photos here

Also, he has dark stains under his eyes. I tied very gently to remove them with water but they don't come off. What are those and what should I do?

Thank you in advance!

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
If you mean does he look like a purebred Chihuahua, then the answer is yes.
If you mean is he a good enough example of the breed for breeding/showing then the answer is no. His main fault is his bite, Chihuahuas should ideally have a scissors bite where the top teeth neatly overlap the bottom set. He looks to have an undershot jaw, his bottom teeth overlap the top set.
The brown marks are called tear staining. Often changing to a better quality grain free diet can eradicate this problem.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I agree with Stella, he def looks like a purebred. I also agree that a higher quality diet will help reduce and prevent tear stains. I'm not sure diet alone will remove the heavy stains he currently has, in addition to enhancing the quality of his diet, it may not hurt to invest in a tear stain remover product. I have read that Angel's eyes is the most effective and can be purchased on Amazon. Since it is a supplement that has to be added to your chi's diet, then I would suggest using it only a few times a week and short term only. From what I've read, most people see results in the appearance of their pets in a matter of weeks. Be sure to do lots of research on any tear stain removal products before purchasing. There are also lots of 'soap free' brightening shampoos on the market that may help as well 😊

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
556 Posts
He's really, really adorable. He looks like a purebred to me.
I hope you can get his tear stains worked out. Cuddles has tear stains, but I think they've gotten a lot better. I am considering switching her to different food, though, so maybe they'll get a lot better.
This is a really good article on tear stains with dogs. It mentions how products like Angel Eyes uses anti-biotics (Tylosin) to treat tear stains and how there are unintended consequences of doing so (antibiotic-resistant bacteria, digestive issues...)

Dog Tear Stains: Everything You've Heard is Wrong!

I really like this page, too (probably a lot better than the other page):
Runny Eyes

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your help! I have one more questions. In the event that he has puppies/babies, will the puppies also carry the same bite flaw like him?

Thanks

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Yes a poor bite is hereditary. This dog is not of breeding quality, he has many faults apart from his bite, I would not recommend he be used at stud. He is a nice pet quality dog, but nothing more, he is not a good example of the breed. If you wish to breed use a proven stud dog that has been health tested.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
It is heartbreaking when furbabies suffer and breeding without planning/knowledge perpetuates this suffering. We love out little guy and we do everything we can to treat his LPs and make sure he is comfortable, but it breaks my heart to think of his offspring who may not get the medical care he does. (Former owner used him for breeding several times.) While he has a gold star personality, a kind vet explained to me, a new dog owner, that the ONLY way to prevent this suffering was to neuter him. Many people who wanted his pups were disappointed, but it was the right thing to do. If the vet would have issued a breeding certificate for him, it would have been different. If you are still interested in breeding him, PLEASE get your vets opinion. There are a plethora of chis, including adorable puppies in rescue. There are many really low cost spay/neuter clinics.

·
Registered
199 Posts
What a great looking little guy you have there !

Though I support alterations, the only time one suffers, is when they come within sensory contact with a possible mate. You can regulate this, and avoid breeding a dog with apparent lacking. As stated, there are many choices available should you think to acquire a companion for him (besides you).

Just enjoy this little guy for the good qualities it currently possesses...
Ability to love and dedicate it's whole life to and for YOU.

You are it's world, and it's so easy to let them become ours.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts