Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey,

I need to contact a breeder today about a puppy im looking at (we have been incontact for a while) only this time I need to ask the serious questions i.e size of parents, will the pup come with injections etc.
The only thing is I always end up, mucking it up!
Does anyone have some advice on what to ask as I always get it wrong.

Thanks

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
I know it sounds really simple but make a list of everything you want to ask and have it next to you on the phone and literally cross them off as you ask, if it's a good breeder they will have no problems answering anything you wanna ask and they can and will go on about their dogs forever hehe :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol yeah thats the sort of things I do. Can you think of any questions that I desperately need to ask? I have an idea in my head but I just want to make sure I haven't missed anything!

I'll start writing my list (thanks great idea!)
:wave:

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
ummm are they KC registered, price, who's the dad if you can get a name if he's a stud dog you can always google him lol. How many chihuahua's do they have (it's always nice to see as many relatives as possible as it will give u an idea of how your pup will be), how many years breeding, how many litters has the mum had (should only be 3 absolute max) , If you're interested in show you'll need the kennel names off the pedigree, what age will they be available, when can you come down and visit the pups ( I recommend seeing them at least once before you collect your pup), can you put down a deposit (stay clear of breeders who wont accept one and do the first come thing). colours of puppies available, sexes of course ummm thats all I can currently think of lol

Sarah

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
I think it's perfectly normal to forget everything including your own name when you're that excited. :lol: These folks have given you some great questions to ask and you really can't go wrong if you make a list. I think breeders understand that you're nervous and excited and they won't mind if you sit and read off your list. I'm guessing a good breeder welcomes lots of questions because that shows you're going to be a responsible owner.

Best of luck! :wave:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats all great thanks!! I've made the list now I have to make the call :shock:
One other quick question im after an appledome head but I'll ask what shape the pups head is. Is "Deerhead" an ok term to use?
:wave:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Each one of my breeders made up a packet a head of time with all this information already written down..I was so thankful! There were things that as a new chi owner I wouldn't have asked because I didn't know to ask. They gave this to me before I got my pup and it gave me some time to read it and absorb it and I was able to jot down my own questions. By the time I got my second pup..I was already well versed..having reread my packet from the first one and was still thankful that the second breeder did the same thing.

I was just so excited to get a pup that I know if I had waited for info when I got the pup I would've been tongue tied and not able to remember anything I wanted to ask! lol

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I always ask if there are any serious health problems in the line and how the temperment of the parents and past pups are. They may not always be honest but usually a reputable breeder will be honest. I would also ask what the earliest they will let the pup go and if it is under 9wks I woulod be a little weary, pups need to be with their litter for a certain amount of time so they can learn much needed instincts.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Sorry

Sorry, but I cant see a photo? You may want to try again. :wave:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts