Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since i decided i wanted to buy a chihuahua, i realized i really wanted a pup that would be not only a wonderful healthy pet, but i kinda wanted it to be the most according to the breed standard and to what i consider a beautiful chihuahua (short muzzle, round head, compact little body, etc.) possible. i know this might seem vain, and I've mostly had rescue dogs, but i believe that if you opt to buy a puppy, it's because you have a desire to have a dog with certain characteristics.
Since well bread conformed chihuahuas are hard to find in my country, i've started to look in nearby countries, like Spain and the UK.
the thing is, it's hard to know which breeders are trust-worthy, and even when everything seems to check out, they usually tell me that the female pups they have they either keep for themselves, or sell to other breeders for a small fortune.
Is it even possible to find a female pup that's somewhere in between "pet quality" and "show quality"?
how do i get references for good breeders when no one in my country even has chihuahuas that aren't byb?
how much could a nice looking well bread female cost in the UK?

i'm sorry if i'm asking too many or too silly questions, but my experience in this subject is limited to other breeds that aren't so difficult to find (i've had great danes all my life, for example), and i'm a little lost, so any advice would be very appreciated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i don't know if my questions were too weird or if this just went unnotices by the uk users, so i'm gonna pull it back up ;)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
You may find it hard to find a breeder ok with shipping a puppy - Most good breeders refuse to ship any of their dogs out of the country because of all the quarantine laws etc, especially to someone who isnt experienced in the breed.

What country are you in? There may be someone on here who can recommend a good breeder in your country that doesnt advertise their pups!

·
Registered
881 Posts
I know quite a few show breeders who ship there pups abroad don't know if they have any litters tho and as for pricing I'm currently looking for a bitch not necessarily show quality but for breeding and I have been quoted between £1200 and £1800. I advise to contact the British chihuahua club they will know who has puppys and who will sell abroad. X

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
There's a list of puppies on the kc website smooths and longs are separated in the uk, however be warned just because they say they're an accredited breeder doesn't mean they are any good there's a couple of shifty ones on there ATM

Good luck in your search when you find her (would you have a boy there's a lot more boys out there) let us see!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you so muck for your answers!

i'm in Portugal, even though it's just a two hour flight i think i'd be nervous to ask the puppy to be shipped, i'd probably go pick her up myself.

one thing i noticed was that uk breeders, the ones i liked the website and seemed reputable, seem to breed mostly for themselves, for show. that makes it way harder to find puppies, especially girls.
i really got my eyes set on a girl pup because i have a male (a rescue waterdog mix) and i visit my parents a lot, who have lots and lots of dogs, and it's always easier for them to accept a dog that doesn't live with them full time if it's a girl.

i'm definitely going to flood the forum with photos as soon as i find my pup, me and my mum spent most of the summer holidays organizing our photo albums, and when we went to look at it... most of it was dogs, dogs, dogs! :p we go a little crazy with the doggy pictures

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i've seen the website, he has some beautiful chis!

if it's around the price range Louise said i still need to save up a little more, so i'm not going to start calling breeders just yet. i'll keep my eyes on the websites, though, to see what shows up. too bad most good breeders don't publicize online.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Awww thank you you ur nice comment about my boy :) he breeder is lovely and has stunning dogs, I know he exports some as he has a Finnish and Norwegian champion, worth giving him a call xx

1 - 11 of 11 Posts