Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys, I have a question that can be controversial.

Do you believe that agression, skiddish/shyness can be hereditary? I would like to know what you think and why you think so?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
As a hamster and freshwater angelfish breeder for years, I truly do feel temperment is hereditary.Also it can be enviorment too.If the mother exhibits behavior traits to her pups then they will also start to show the same traits.Its learned behavior.
I had strains of fish that carried certain colors and they would always be more aggresive.
I truly feel its genetic.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes, as a horse breeder I can say that temperament is passed on generation to generation. There are lines I would not breed into my program because of this, despite the fact they carry conformation etc that I would love to have.

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Yes, as a horse breeder I can say that temperament is passed on generation to generation. There are lines I would not breed into my program because of this, despite the fact they carry conformation etc that I would love to have.
This is an old post that goes back to 2009

·
Registered
704 Posts
I agree that temperament is hereditary. My Chihuahua Nina's father had a very aggressive temperament and my girl is identical to him; so are her siblings (all 6). Although I have nurtured her and truly treated her like a princess, she still shows extreme dominance etc. I will ad that should we not have treated her the way we did; she would probably be way worse. On the other hand my 2 other chis parents were very sweet and loving; they both are identical to them and combined with our nurturing they act like babies.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I think fear and aggression are DEFINATELY passed on. My two youngest chi's came from "very good breeders" (one was the treasurer of the national chihuahua club) and they both have numerous champions in their pedigrees. One is so shy she runs from my roommate and I. I got her at 17 weeks. For some reason the breeder with held her registration papers (I called AKC and they never registered a litter from this breeder at the time around the birthdate). I also never got her exact birthday. She omited this at the top of the pedigree. I have asked her many times for this infomation. Just does not take my calls anymore. This pup is very comfy being just a dog. She was socialized with puppy class, and petsmart visits? My second chi is just like her mother. She has been diagnosed with focal epilepsy. Also very shy. I will NEVER get another chi, unless I am sure of the temperment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts