Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't think this would necessarily be appropriate for the Breeding forum as I think this will be more of a discussion than sharing knowledge or experience.

Anyway, I am planning to start a small breeding program next year when Billa is ready, and it got me thinking about how firmly people feel about rehoming dogs. How do people feel about this in regards to breeding? Obviously a breeder can't keep all their dogs forever, males and females will have to be swapped up at some point and sold to be pets for someone else etc.

This is absolutely not to start any arguments and my decision to start breeding is my own, but I'd appreciate any sincere and well thought out input to the question here :) Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Personally I would only ever breed a dog totally to standard :) but that's just me lol

Rehoming wise tbh with your first brood like billa I don't think I could rehome her after the first would always be the hardest!! I think I would have a maximum number of bitches and if u have studs 2 studs totally unrelated!!

I don't think I could rehome them if you've raised them from a puppy till 18 months bred them raised their litter bred them for a couple of years loved them they are your pet I'm too soft couldn't do it!! If you can care for them raise them and not get too attached then I could see how it could be done!

There's an older couple here who have 3 chis 2 brothers and the mother when the breeder was ready toretire the mum she called them to see if they were interested I think that's a good way to go

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We won't be rehoming Billa lol She is Mike's girl he would not be happy! She's a great start, a good foundation.

There's an older couple here who have 3 chis 2 brothers and the mother when the breeder was ready toretire the mum she called them to see if they were interested I think that's a good way to go
I think this is a great idea too, how great for that mother to spend the rest of her pet life with her babies :)

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
That's what I thought it's a good way to keep in contact with puppy owners too If you're a good breeder they will come back (like I would/will?) go back to lotus' breeder at somepoint and then If they want to rehome they will contact you

I suppose if it was me I'd have to stop breeding once I reached my dog threshold lol

·
Premium Member
6,744 Posts
i think a breeder has to at somepoint rehome to keep their line going must be incredibly difficult tho, i would only want them to go to people i could keep in contact with/see regularly altho my fiance reckons i would never be able to let any go hes prob right

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
If I were to have to get rid of any of my dogs, first port of call would be Maisies breeder - If she didnt want to take her back, I would ask if she knew of anyone who was after an ex-breeding bitch, and contact the puppies owners and see if they would like to adopt their pups mother. I'd limit my girls to 3 litters in a lifetime, so they would be at least 3 and a half before they would have weaned their last litter and be in ready-to-go condition.

If none of the puppies owners were suitable and the girls breeders werent interested I would first offer them to close friends and family, then if that failed, offer them to people I didnt know, but they would have to go through a very long interview process!

Although I know I would never have a problem rehoming Maisie if that were to happen - My grandparents, cousins, and even my sister would take either of mine without a second thought!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
ADD - If I were rehoming a male as I had his daughters for breeding and he was a good stud dog, i'd consider offering him to another breeder (someone you knew wouldnt overbreed etc)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I do understand why breeders rehome their breeding stock after they have stopped breeding them. It's the responsible thing to do if they plan to keep their line going & improving w/o totally over populating their home. I'm actually starting my own (very small) breeding program with the help of a friend breeder, but I can tell you none of my Chi's are going anywhere. ;)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
The 4 chis we have now are "family". My husband and I have discussed though, that when we get our breeding girls, they will be shown, bred at appropriate intervals until 5-6 years old, and then found wonderful homes. Unfortunately that's just how it's going to be. Just because I will have an "in-house" stud does not mean he will be the one we always use to breed, he will only be used if complimentary to the female. I do believe line breeding is an excellent way to improve the breed, so...having an in-house male that is nice may be a good way to up the "type" of my breedings. We'll see...breeding is about a year off at the least for us, too. I need to finish Bryco first, followed by finishing our first female.

Are you going to show Billa? I think showing is a good way to learn more about the breed, as well as learn whether or not the dog you have should be bred. I also strongly, strongly recommend health testing for patellas, heart and eyes. There is NO sense in breeding a dog that has a problem with any of those :)

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Well you can have a breeding program without rehoming. I have 5 chihuahua and only 1 breeding pair. And The male is 4 and the female is 2 soon. Rehoming puppies is hard cause you put your heart and soul into those pups from the moment of the tie to they go home to their new forever homes. Not only that but breeding isnt for the faint of heart. I had a litter last nite and almost lost one of the pups cause his cord wouldnt stop bleeding. but my husband worked on for over an hour to stop the bleeding and with alot of work and tears he is still alive.

But anyway even when my male and female are to old to breed anymore they will be snipped and just only a family pet. Since my dogs are pets first and breeders second. They will enjoy a nice long life with me and my family.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Its true that as you improve your lines you have to
re-home your first breeders or F1 line.
I would keep only bitches and use outside studs
from other compatible champion lines to service
your bitches.This avoids many issues about
housing studs and gives you access to choice
males that are proven and compliment your girls.
Also be sure to choose only LP free & heart issues
free certified males for your lines.
Professional breeders are proud of their
healthy certified males and are totally upfront about it.

Best Wishes and do lots of studying of genetics before your endeavor!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Um where I am now is 5 including daisy.. Realistically if I lived in a bigger house I think I could manage one more but I do a lot with my dogs they come everywhere get walked daily and I couldn't handle more than 6 at once

1 - 13 of 13 Posts