Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it ok to breed a full size chihuahua and a long haired miniature? Also I am new to this breeding thing. How long does the female usually carry the puppies. My dogs are 1 1/2 yrs and 3 yrs.
Is 1 1/2 to young to breed???

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

soonergal

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
if you mean one is say 6 pound and the other is 3 pounds - then it is ONLY ok to breed if the female is the bigger one if not it is HIGHLY unsafe to do so :wave:

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I would highly incourage you to do more research before "Breeding". There are many good books on Chihuahuas. :)

sandra

·
Registered
34 Posts
hello

I agree with sjc I dont believe you are ready to any breeding yet, do some research if you do not wish to buy a book go under google and do a search there is plent of info there.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I totally agree also, breeding is not as simple as putting 2 dogs together to see if they will pair up. It can be a very complicated and scary ordeal and shouldn't be taken lightly. Not to mention the expenses that you can incure if the female needs ultrasounds and a c-section or has other complications. A female chi in the smaller weight range should never be bred. Also, if your willing to breed your female you should also be willing to lose her in pregnancy because this unfortunately can happen with complications!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your advice. My female is about 6 pounds and the male is a long haired that weighs about 2-3 pounds.
I didn't realize all the complications possible in breeding chihuahuas. I will definitely do some more research. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just one litter....

Thought that I would mention that I am not interested in becoming a breeder.
I own two chi's (ginger and rowdy) and would like to have a least one litter of puppies before I get the female fixed. I was hoping that I might get a miniature chi out of the litter. My husband and I are getting divorced and he is taking the smaller dog. I will miss him so much!! He is so lovable and has a unique personality. What are the possiblilities of getting a mini from the litter?

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
Hey there is no such thing as a mini chi - a chi is a chi they are usually between 2 and 8 pounds in weight - if Mom is 6 and dad is 3 you will most likely get pups between these sizes like 4 or 5 pounds as an adult :wave:

·
Registered
277 Posts
If you are breeding the smaller male to get a pup with his same unique personality your playing the luck of the draw and more then likely your going to lose because he/she may have an entirely different personality. Its a misconception that if you only have 1 litter of pups that you are not a breeder because yes you are. Whethers its 1 litter or 100 litters makes no difference. Yes, there are a huge amount of complications and problems that can occur with a litter of pups. Even if the bitch free whelps she may reject the puppies or her milk may dry up which leaves you up ever 3 hours for bottle feedings for weeks! I don't want to sound harsh, just realistic, I'd seriously reconsider and adopt another companion if that's what you looking for.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You all are exactly right. There is no such thing as a miniature Chi.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm not necessarily looking for his same personality from the litter, it needs improvement! I would just like to have one his size, 2-3 lbs with the long coat.
I also believe that a dogs personality is all in how the owner trains and works with the dog. I plan on training the next one to be more kid friendly. But I realize there is a lot to learn about chi's and them having babies.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
if you want one that is exactly 2 - 3 pounds and long haired I think you may be better off going to a breeder and seeing what they have available - or maybe checking out rescues :wave:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts