Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my boyf really want a girl chihuahua as a mate for my tyke!

now i have been thinking about tyke being a stud and having one of the pups (if there is a girl)
i know someone that is interested but there chihuahua is pretty small 3/4pounds small!
now i dont know nothing about breeding..but i want to learn, because if i do this i want to do it right!
so my question is how big should the female be???
thank you
star

·
Registered
683 Posts
I want coco's babies too, i hope she gets fat/heavy then has babies then slims back down again - hmmm she is a pretty good runner mayb the exercise wld get her back 2 normal hmmm :?

·
Registered
400 Posts
My breeder will breed no smaller than 3 1/2 pounds. I know thats small, but all of his chihuahua's are deliverd C-section. If its a natural birth its a good idea for them to be 4 pounds or higher. If she's 4 pounds that should be fine.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
I want coco's babies too, i hope she gets fat/heavy then has babies then slims back down again - hmmm she is a pretty good runner mayb the exercise wld get her back 2 normal hmmm
Just by making her fat does not mean her bone structure can accomadate to pass babies :shock:

My breeder will breed no smaller than 3 1/2 pounds. I know thats small, but all of his chihuahua's are deliverd C-section. If its a natural birth its a good idea for them to be 4 pounds or higher. If she's 4 pounds that should be fine.
this is bad practice - why would you put a dog you supposedly love through the risks not only associated with pregnancy in such a small dog but the risks associated with anaesthetic :roll:

·
Registered
400 Posts
I don’t agree, I don’t think that is 3 1/2 -4 pounds is too small, anything below 3 1/2 is. Because of the way we have bred chi's with the large apple dome it is difficult for the mother to pass them. C-sections have many benefits and downfalls, Its a decision the breeder must make. English Bull dogs are C-section almost all of the time. I’m not saying that C-sections are good in all cases, but with breeds that us people have changed from their original structure drastically, causing them to have birth problems, C-sections are useful. C-sections also allow you to control when your dog will have puppies insuring complications will not occur when your not around and you can base you schedule around the puppies. This is all my opinion, others may differ but it’s okay, I don’t breed anyway. :)

Ozzy&Lilly'sMom - Please try to refrain from using the "eye roll character" in times like this because it makes me feel like you are talking down to me. Maybe I’m just being to sensitive? :oops:

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Soon2bechiowner said:

all for that tiny "teacup chi" and the money it gets them. you mentioned about bulldogs needing c-sections for delivery but they aren't a 2-3 1/2 pound chi. it's risky putting a dog THAT SMALL under. if it's safe then why is it that some vets won't even spay one until it reaches a certain weight?

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
LovelyChiPupz said:
I want coco's babies too, i hope she gets fat/heavy then has babies then slims back down again - hmmm she is a pretty good runner mayb the exercise wld get her back 2 normal hmmm :?
having a fat bitc.h and breeding her isn't healthy either. it's not really about weight, it's about their little frame.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
3 1/2 pound is to small for a mum chi.... there are women who cannot carry a baby (eg young teens... small women..with frames that are extremly little) and cannot carry because its a health risk.. its the same with chis. The body can only cope with so much.
In my opinion... a 3 1/2 pound dog is not fit enough to carry pups.. why would you want to do that? Why not breed a bigger mummy with smaller daddy.. just because you have small parents.. doesnt FACT that the puppies will be small. You can have a 6lb chi mummy that naturally produces small puppies... its all in the dog. I beleive its quite cruel to breed a dog at such a tiny weight... its like a teenager having a baby.. and is not at all fair on the mum chi if their is a risk... Im sure if she had a say and knew she was at risk having a pup... she would be saying "NO" ...so say no for her!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Okay, weight is one thing and frame is another. I've seen a deer type chihuahua at 4 1/2 pounds who was extrmley petite and wouldnt be healthy to carry pups, Ive also seen 3 1/2 pound chihuahuas who are short stocky build and deliver fine. I think it's less about weight and more about structure. People shouldnt breed for size alone, They should want well temperd, healthy chihuahuas that are as close to the standerd as possible. My vet told me that putting down a 3 1/2 pound chihahua and a 4 pound chihuahua isnt much difference. If 3 1/2 pounds is too small then everyone with that size chihuahua could never have them fixed which could lead to more problems later on. I agree 3 1/2 pounds is small to breed, but its more about structure and less about actual weight. IMHO

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
you agree 3 1/2 pounds is too small too breed but you think your breeder is a good breeder ?

Im sorry it is just too small and it breaks my heart all to get the ellusive teacup chi

and I was rolling my eyes about your breeder not YOU , you do take things too personal this is a discussion :wink:

NB: This post will be moved to the breeders section to carry o your discussions any one who isnt a member of the section you will have tpo join up to answer just fore wraning you so people dont think Ive locked it etc :wave:

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Soon2bechiowner said:
Okay, weight is one thing and frame is another. I've seen a deer type chihuahua at 4 1/2 pounds who was extrmley petite and wouldnt be healthy to carry pups, Ive also seen 3 1/2 pound chihuahuas who are short stocky build and deliver fine. I think it's less about weight and more about structure. People shouldnt breed for size alone, They should want well temperd, healthy chihuahuas that are as close to the standerd as possible. My vet told me that putting down a 3 1/2 pound chihahua and a 4 pound chihuahua isnt much difference. If 3 1/2 pounds is too small then everyone with that size chihuahua could never have them fixed which could lead to more problems later on. I agree 3 1/2 pounds is small to breed, but its more about structure and less about actual weight. IMHO
no i was saying that they wil never get fixed a sure of himself experienced vet will spay and nueter at that size but the more they get put under the more risky it is. and i'm not sure about animals but i do know that women who get repeat c-sections become at risk for a few health problems associated with them.

those vets AND breeders who allow repeat c-sections have a god complex. yes sometimes a c-section is needed but i know a heck of a lot more breeders who will tell you that the c-section is their option only if the female is having trouble with the birth. i read in this thread i think you said it, that c-sections are great cause you can have your schedule shifted around them. do you want to retract that statement? was that a mistake? if not then wow. :shock: "i want to go on vacation next week so let's have our litle teacup buffy give birth when we come home." oh yes how convienient.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i have told the lady that i am looking for a bigger female!

so 2 things: the mum has to be 4-5pounds
and my tyke should be smaller then the mum..
tyke is 3pounds so is it ok to look for a 4/5pound or should the mum be bigger????

i am going to wait to see if a experienced breeder is interested..as i dont want anything bad to happen! i think ill give it to the end of this year :) and if not then i shall buy girl :)

i dont know if i will go ahead with this..i dont know..lol maybe i should just buy a girl..but do like the idea of tyke being the daddy :)

i think im going to have a re think :) ill see what else my boyf has to say about it!

thanks for your help
star x

·
Registered
151 Posts
Having met several backyard breeders of chis and labs I can tell you this....jus because you dog is cute, is not a reason to breed. Just because your dog is awesome, is not a reason to breed. Just because your dog was easy train, is not a reason to breed. If you think breeding your perfect female and your perfect male will result in little clones of either one you are sadly mistaken. Genes are funny thing...they have a way or laying dorment and showing up whenever they want. You can't breed chis for color, personality or coat...you should only be breeding to better the breed..not to make a new color, a new size or a new mix.

Both Sire and Dam need to be tested before hand..nothing makes me madder than ppl that just shove two dog together and have them mate..not knowing the health of either one. It's quite sad and iresponsible.

My vet won't spay until they 5lbs and at least 1 yr old. My female currently weighs 4 and she's 2 yrs old..she's not going to get any bigger. So I have to decide if Iwant to take the risk and spay her or just leave her intact.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I agree 3 1/2 is small to breed but not necessarly too small, my point was he looks more at structure than weight. He wouldnt breed a 4 1/2 pound chihuahua because he thought she was too petite, but sometimes weight isnt the only thing to consider. My other point was there are benifits to C-sections, and YES one of them is to ensure safety of pups. There are also benifits to natural birth. Yet both have there downfalls and risks. C-sections are used more in Chihuahuas because of the lage apple domes. My breeder is an excellent breeder and dosnet breed to get small puppies. He hardly ever breeds that small but if the structure is right and the mom is not exactly 4 pounds and after 27 years of breeding his profestional opinion is she will be able to carry puppies healthy he will do it. Some agree and some dont, I agree after seeing first hand how he dose things. He is brilliant and knows his chihuahaus gene pool and pedigrees like no other. He also never breeds any chi that hasn't finished his/ her championship. Also all of his breeding stoke is OFA certified to be free of luxating patellas, Autoimmune Thyroiditis, and Elbow Dysplasia Disease. All of his chihuahaus are also DNA certified. So yes I do think he is a good breeder.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts