Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking this post off - although I think that I'm right I don't want to offend any other chi people. I love it here and don't want to be looked down upon.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
You are correct the small size of the parents will not guarantee the size of the litter. Teacup is not a given name for a Chi breed it is a term tagged used for the small of a litter. You cant assume you have purchased a "Teacup". the size and weight of a pup can be estimated but, until they are 9 months to a year you won't know. Chi's are actually known as toy breeds and standard is 6 lbs as noted on the A.K.C. site. The only way i can describe it is. As with humans there are dwarfs and midgets however, that does not mean they will have dwarf or midget children.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'll agree here too. It is not safe and potentially fatal to the mom and the pups. 2.2 lbs. is too small to breed, I say no breeding if the mom doesn't even reach at the least, 4 lbs. And maybe the 4 pounder breeder females should be left to a more experienced breeder. You also have to take into consideration the lines in which the mother and father come from. They could have really large heads, or just may be bigger chi's. Breeding a small male and small female doesn't gurantee you'll get small babies. Please, please reconsider not putting your precious baby through breeding. Get her fixed and enjoy her company as a wonderful lap dog.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
I am sorry to have to stick my oar in as it is probably none of my business but the person you are talking about is a close friend of mine who is an experienced chi owner who has been around chis alll her life you have quoted her on one comment and she obviously would not go into detail on a fun website this person is well aware that a chi should be 4 pounds or more in order to breed and is hoping her chi reaches this weight but obviously her pup is only 6 months at the moment so who knows if she will or not, I think it is quite wrong of you to of done this on a website where she has lots of friendsa and loves cioming to , if you had a problem with what she had said I feel the correct way of dealing with it would of been to pm her and ask her about it and get all the facts first, please do not take offence to what I am saying but this is such a lovely forum with such caring owners and she is one of them, she is a student but puts trthe welfare of her dogs first and has done everything for her ill dog personally i think she should be comended.

please dont think i am having a go at you I just think you should get the whole story first and I have answered as i dont know when she will be next online to answer thios and I dont want anymore people thinking bad of her

thankyou for listening sorry if i have waffled a bit :wave:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a friend who's tiny chi got pregnang on accident, she was not at a healthy weight to get fixed, and went throught heat early. Before her owner noticed she was in heat she had already gotten pregnant. Her breeder told her she should wait till she was a year old before she had her fixed :x , and she didn't know any better. Anyway, the she ended up dying during when she was giving birth to her third dead puppy. It was so sad. The fourth one never made it out. So there were no puppies that survived, and the mom died also, the mom was almost 3lbs. It's so sad, but I hear stories like this all the time. At first I wanted to let Sophia have puppies, but she's still under 3lbs at 7 months, and won't get much bigger, so I would never be selfish enought to put her through a pregnancy that would most likely kill her. Just look at this face...HOW could anyone even concider breeding such a small dog?? It makes me sick...

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
no I understand what you are saying and my friend would have no intention of breeding her dog unless she is the right and safe weight, it is very sad what happened to your friends dog but it does not mean to say that this will happen with ginger as my friend would not let anything bad happen to her as she loves her chi as much as you love chico :wave:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, but if you are breeding a dog as small as ------ you are asking for problems. Do a search on the internet for safe breeding weight for chihuahuas, you will see what I'm talking about. Again it's not a personal attack, I'm only stating facts. It is irresponsible to breed any dog that is so small. I'm sorry if I sound mean, and I know you want to stick up for her if she is your friend, but every breeder I have spoken to says that any small dog like ------ cannot be bred. Matter of fact, most responsible breeders will require you to sign a leagal spay contract when you purchase a puppy small as ------. You can hate me if you want for my post, but what I'm saying is true.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If she weighs under 3lbs at 6months she will never be 4lbs unless she is overweight. This isnt' a personal attack, and I didn't put her name out there. I commend her also for taking such good care of her ill dog, I know how heart wrenching and expensive it can be to have an ill animal. Again, it isn't a personal attack, it just upset me so bad that I had to post something. I didn't mention any names, except the dogs name because I quoted what was written in the profile. Sorry if I offended you, or your friend I didn't mean to. I wanted to get others input, that's why I posted.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I deffinetly agree that tiny chis girls shouldnt be bred because of the danger involved, the chis still young thos, so i guess its a case of wait and see as to how big she actualy does turn out, im sure the last thing ne one on here would do is risk loosing there precious chi baby, and i know for the fact that the member who this concerns would never dream of putting her little girl in any danger :)
mia
x

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
there is nothing to say that ginger will not reach 4 pounds when fully grown she is only six months old and will not be completely grown until she is 2 years old , I know you do not mean any offence but you are looking at it very one sided as I said before she has NO intention of breeding if ginger does not reach 4 pounds in weight . :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe I will remove the post... but if she has had chi's for so long and knows so much about them she would know that if ------ weighs 2.2 lbs at six months it will never be big enough to breed. I'm sorry I really don't want to offend anyone. If you would like me to remove this post I will, but I think it's very educational, and people can learn from it. I'm not saying this is the case with ------- mom but lots of people want chi's just like theirs so they breed them and it ends in a catastrophe. Let me know if you want me to remove it. I love this site and don't want people to think I am a mean person, I am a person who loves animals and don't want to see any get hurt. I HAVE REMOVED ALL NAMES FROM THIS POST BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TO OFFEND ANYONE.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
you are a very valued member on this forum and we do not want to remove your posts unnecessarily but I do think it is unfair how you havree used a certain member as an example I think next time so not to cause problems the best thing would of been to submit your post but not too make it personal as there was no need to mention the member you could of pm her to inform her of your opinion and still put the post about not breeding small chis , then it would definately not offend people and would be great as wouldbe very educational.

thanks for your opinions all the same you are so right in making the point that FULL grown chis who are less tand 4 pounds should not be bred

tahnkyou :wave:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you ozz for understanding. I agree, I shouldn't have posted it about a single memeber, but it was the one instance of this that made me so upset. I have removed all names from my post and put ------ in it's place. Hopefully this helps. I have been around chi's for a long time, I have known many chis from the time they were 8wks old up until over 5 years old and I have never seen a chi that was 2.2 lbs at six months, or any other small chi get to be over 3.5lbs. I'm sorry but I just haven't seen it, that's why I knew I was making an informed statement. Maybe she or you have seen otherwise. I have seen bigger chi's grow more rapidly, gaining a pound or more after six months of age. The small one's don't grow as quickly and don't gain alot of weight after six - seven months of age. My Sophia has weighed the same for the past month, only gaining an ounce. I have many friends and family with Chi's. Hopefully you are right though Ozz.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
as the person in question replied to you in another post I do not feel there is much to say on this subject other than what the person put on dogster was an error as we all make, her chi was actually 2.5 pounds at 4 months and still gaining weight, I really appreciate how you have ammended your original post but feel i must comment on what you have in its place (sorrry I feel as strong about clearing my friends name as you do about the topic....lol ) as you have put although I think im right , you are not right in this instance because this person does NOT intend to breed her chi unless it reaches 4 or more pounds in weight which the vet informs her it more than likely will.

sorry to be a nit pick but I really dont want my friend getting a bad name through an untrue account of what she intends to do with her dog

I so hope this can all be dropped now it has been cleared up and we can all get back to having a wonderful lovely friendly forum with no nastiness , at the end of the day we are all dog lovers as we would not be visiting this site :wave:

no hard feelings from anyone involved in this ispute lets have a great big

*GROUP HUG* :love3:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just feel that since 4lbs is the minimum weight (most breeders don't even breed females unless they weigh more around 5-6lbs) doesn't mean it is okay for someone who has never bred chi's before to do it. I think that whoever said it should probably be left up to more experienced breeders is very correct in what they said. That's why I said I still think I'm right. I don't think I'm being nasty - I just think it's something that needs to be put out there. Especially since lots of new chi owners, and chi owners to be come to this site to do research. It is a mistake that is made too often by many people who think they have a good breeding dog. Again, nothing personal to anyone, it's just a fact, I'm not saying the person in question doesn't care about her dogs, I'm sure she loves her dogs very much and is a great person, forget it, I rest my case.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
yes you are very correct in what you are saying but as the person in question had grown up around dogs been bred etc I think she has alot of the first hand experience needed she also has 2 years to prepare herself and she will keep in close contact with her vet etc, just because a dog is 5 - 6 pounds does not mean they are going to have a smooth labour etc they are still small dogs and it always carrys a risk if the pups are big but I am sure the person will do all the research that is required to keep her baby and babies babies safe :)

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I am getting into this conversation.......I don't agree at all with people breeding tiny female chihuahuas, this might kill them!!! I guess the main reason why people do it is to get money when they sell the puppies....that's even worse!!!!

·
Registered
297 Posts
A bad idea

Well, of course not.

If the dog is too small to breed safely, then don't. Most people aren't idiotic or cruel enough to do so. It's a sad fact that some people may do so out of ignorance. Others do so out of greed, but these people are not good people, are they? I don't believe that describes anyone at this forum.

Most breeders who do attempt to breed smaller Chis make sure the female is a safe size and breed her with a small male. Genetics are complicated, so there are no guarantees--good breeders realize this. Good breeders also watch smaller females carefully and take appropriate measures if a complication arises.

For example, your friend whose female 'accidentally' got pregnant had the option of taking her dog to the vet and having the pups aborted for the health of the mother. A dog can be spayed after pregnancy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
o.k
this obviously is a big thing. here is my opinion and you can read it or not

from what i'm reading this is still attacking -------- now, this isn't about her or the dog this is about opinions and people going too far. i definitely agree as does every other sane person you should not breed if the dog is to small thats not in question BUT as to -------- she is not going to put her dog in danger not for money and not for puppy's now i personally think this is enough no more about this women or her choices i have herd enough and so has most other people on this forum. anyway i hope your friend comes back to the forum and i hope she doesn't let peoples inconsiderate statements keep her away.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm done with this thread, some people over react way too much!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts