Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it safe to feed Broccolli and Cauliflower to Chi's, I just wondered as I give Jake Runner Beans and Carrots and was thinking about what I could give him as a change that is not fattening and helps him to feel full.

Thanks in advance

Deme x

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I gave Brody several pieces of broccoli a couple months back. It was steamed and seemed so healthy for him! He loved it. Well he had HORRIBLE diarrhea from it. And bloating gas. It was awful. It just poured out of him and he even pooped in his bed at night. :( It took about 4 days for the diarrhea to finally stop. I will never feed broccoli again!! That was my experience.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Yea its rough on people too.
What about green beans?
I gave them fresh to Dahlia this summer
and she loved the crunchyness of them too.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for that, I am gonna stay away from those two veggies, Before I changed to Acana Jake stunk the house out every night and boy did he stink.

I already give him green beans which he loves and carrots but I was looking for something else to give variety

Deme x

·
Registered
644 Posts
steamed broccoli is Stottie's ultimate treat :D
i've never seen a dog so excited about a food before.
Diefie will eat it if he has to (he's such a piggy that he can't bare to leave it in his bowl).
They don't get it very often, maybe once a week, and they don't get much - perhaps one sprout off the main bunch or a chi mouthful.
i've never noticed any bad result after they've eaten it. if you're unsure, just give a tiny amount and see what happens.

·
Registered
342 Posts
i forgot to mention that they love asparagus, when they see me start boiling the water for it they follow me like a shadow. I give them each a tip mashed up in their regular food.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Asparagus, oh we'd fight over that, I love asparagus, I take it it's not like broccolli and doesn't make them gassy...

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
If my husband or I are eating cooked broccolli or cooked cauliflower, we will give Bella very small amounts of it as a treat, mixed in with her dog food at meal times. She loves cooked vegetables, including cooked grean beans, cooked peas, and cooked carrots. She has no gas or stomach problems eating very small amounts of vegetables.

·
Registered
293 Posts
We give the fur babes both.Just make sure it is cut small because dogs can't digest veggies to well and they can come out the same way they go in.Ouch !
View attachment 5079

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you want a low fat treat you could give them green beans. Fresh or frozen, not canned as they contain a LOT of sodium. I've used them for years and all my dogs have loved them. I started using them when I had a diabetic Westie and I needed something to help fill her up without messing up her glucose

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
i give Minnie and Tootsie a very small piece of cooked broccoli when i make it for me. they love it and if i only give them just alittle , it agrees with them just fine. one time they were begging so much so i gave them more than just alittle and Minnie had loose stools. but since then i just give a small piece and have had no problems. they smell it when i'm cooking it and insist on getting some :)

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have been giving green beans and carrots for some time now and wanted idea's to give variety without the gassy smell, diaharrea (spl) or risk upsetting their tummies.

Deme x

1 - 16 of 16 Posts