Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just accidently found this ad on craigslist and it broke my heart.

special needs chihuahua needs a home

This lady's Chi jumped off the couch, pup broke both front legs now she's looking for someone who can adopt/pay for surgery/take care of this poor baby.
If anyone is in annandale, va have the finances/desire to adopt this breed please write that woman!

·
Premium Member
5,274 Posts
OMG that about 2 hours from me........ there is no way for me to adopt but sure hope he finds a great home

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Is there a reputable chi rescue in the area that can be notified?

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Wish I was closer. At least the owner is doing the right thing and trying to find someone who can care for him.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Is there a reputable chi rescue in the area that can be notified?
This is a completely different topic, But you know what's so sad about rescues right now? We can NOT get people to adopt dogs D: I've had a dog on petfinder for OVER two years.. {We're just going to keep her now doesn't seem fair you know? She's been here two years, since she was a pup.} and not one person contacted me about her, When she was a puppy or otherwise. I get calls everyday from people needing us to help them with their pets finding them homes and we just can not do it. I am having to start turning people away.. I don't even know of any numbers I can give them of rescues I know are good ones that are taking dogs. One of the rescues we've worked with for about 11 years is closing it doors due to lack of adoptions. It's really sad.

That being said I hope that SOMEONE can sponsor this baby or help this woman find someone who can care of it's needs. I know what having a dog with a broken leg is like, it's hard. My Italian greyhound has a steelplate in one leg {the kennel attendent at the vet broke when I dropped him off for a neuter} and it's expensive and tramatic. Okay this is way too much about me D:.. sorry.

·
Registered
370 Posts
:hello1:thats something i would love to be able to do-too far n not enuf money.i think most people on here have the HEART to do it but cant for one reason or another:D:D:D

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
The rescue situation is terrible. Our organization received a call for 30 Chis in one--just one--of the shelters. We can't take them all. It's so very sad. And yet almost every rescue event we sponsor, somebody slithers up to ask if we have an intact male or female, so they can begin their own backyard breeding operation. If the public would stop buying from mills and unqualified breeders . . . sigh. It is hard.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I might be able to help with the surgery and finding him a home. I sent an email through craigslist but they have not responded:(

·
Registered
23 Posts
Poor thing! our rescues here would probably jump at this situation.
So few Chi's actually in rescue where I live, we have the opposite problem people bidding against each other for the few dogs available!
BYB's are abundant here and thriving.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I adopted him. We collected him in Maryland, and drove back up to Massachusetts, where I live. The poor little guy, in addition to being in two casts, is severly underweight and boney. He is also terrified of everyone and NOT leash-trained. He freaks out and starts jumping and flipping around when he realizes he's on a leash. I suspect he was abused before, but not by the girl who I got him from. She had another healthy, happy Chihuahua and said this guy was shy and took a long time to bond with. I think she just didn't know what his deal was. Based on her timeline he is probably under a year old, but I am not sure.
So, now that I have him, can any of you guys give advice on how to proceed? I think I'm in a little over my head on this one. What does one do with a scared and traumatized chi like this? :confused:
Also, he reeks of fish. We wiped him down with deodorizing puppy wipes, and sprayed him with deodorizing spray (it was a 12 hour car ride, we had to do something) but he still smells awful.
We are calling him Monty. He had a different name, but he doesn't respond to it, and I want to create a whole different life and environment for him.
Any advice is sooo welcome!

Thank you,

Vera

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Well done for taking him,so pleased he will have a great home.All i can say is time/patience and TLC.It's going to be a long road but i'm sure you'll get there once he settles with you i'm sure he'll make a wonderful chi.Good luck

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Best advice is take it slow and on his time line. Let him come to you. Put away the leash for now, he needs to feel safe in the house with you. If he doesn't come up to you, sit on the floor and toss tiny bits of treats at him. For Ling Ling, I used chicken training treats, they can be broken down into tiny pieces, but are a high tempation treat. Let him tell you when he is ready to do more. Ling Ling lived under my bed for a year before she finally came around. There is doggie spray you could use, you won't be able to give him a proper bath until the casts come off. Thanks for taking this little guy, he really needed someone like you to step up and save him. Again, just take it slow and move at his pace. He will probably come around as they are bred as companion dogs and need to be with their humans.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts