Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In breeding/showing terms - what isa Brood Bitch? I have heard breeders (an show people) at shows and here as well, talking about it? Is it like you have a female chi which is generally in correct shape/size to bear puppies but not very showable? Or to big to show, to do well in the ring compeared to other chis in the ring?

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I am totally ignorant about show stuff, but a brood bitch is the female held back to have pups to carry on a desired line for the future. Don't know if this is any help. Deb

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, thanks very much, it makes sense.
So it's Brood bitch?
...that's why I couldn't google it :D
I thought the bitch has to be broad!!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Hahaha yep what Deb said is correct. Brood bitches are often bigger chis, or simply smaller chis in the correct 4-6 lb ratio that can really pop out the puppies! Often, your bitches you finish, because something is different about those showable/finishable, can only have between 1 and 3 puppies. You simply can't sustain a showing/breeding program on that, so, many breeders also have the brood bitches that have nice big litters, but, the prospect of show puppies isn't nearly as good from them. They more often than not are in the 6-8 lb range and can have litters of up to 8 puppies!

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
My idea of a brood bitch is that is should still be very soundly contructed though with a lot of the requirements of a show dog but could be either plainer in the head, a minor fault and/or perhaps up to size.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
My idea of a brood bitch is that is should still be very soundly contructed though with a lot of the requirements of a show dog but could be either plainer in the head, a minor fault and/or perhaps up to size.
So then the Dam or Bitch and Sire of the brood bitch, (as well as the male she's bred to), would probably have to have really good conformation, yes? Otherwise wouldn't they pass the minor faults along? And Yes, I really do want to know. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts