Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a female chi-poo mix 3 years old and brought home a 5 month male chi, I named Pepe, on Thursday.

For the last several days Gracie the chipoo has just been kind of sad and going off to her corner and laying down not wanting to play while the new chi is caged. When the chi is let out Gracie will growl if Pepe gets too close.

But this morning for the first time Pepe was chasing Gracie around the house like I used to chase Gracie in a little game we'd play. I think Gracie is finally warming up.

Pepe keeps dragging his but in the cage every now and then. Could this be worms? Will heart worm medicine clear it up if it is?

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
so glad they're getting on,they will have so much fun.Could be anal glands,they do drag their but.Maybe get a check up at the vets

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Michele,
I just had my chipoo's anal glands checked ($80.00! with meds) ouch! After that I learned to fill a pan with very warm, not hot, water and some epsom salts and have the dog sit in that for ten minutes a day. This thins out the anal gland stuff. Then I pinch the glands and expell it. Stuff stinks! Also I fed her a teaspoon of pumpkin sauce on her food each day which also helps. So far the chipoo no longer drags her butt.
Have you heard of doing this?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
By the way, I also am slowly breaking both dogs into a freeze dried raw dog food I add water to. Plus I purchased some organically raised chicken, turkey breast, chicken livers, and giblets, cut them up into little pieces and froze them to add to their food raw. They love it but am only giving a little at a time for now.

I don't know if I can give them too much liver though.

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Thanks Michele,
I just had my chipoo's anal glands checked ($80.00! with meds) ouch! After that I learned to fill a pan with very warm, not hot, water and some epsom salts and have the dog sit in that for ten minutes a day. This thins out the anal gland stuff. Then I pinch the glands and expell it. Stuff stinks! Also I fed her a teaspoon of pumpkin sauce on her food each day which also helps. So far the chipoo no longer drags her butt.
Have you heard of doing this?
No i've never heard about doing this,don't know if anybody else has ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts